Is Chemistry Stronger Than Physical Attraction?

Daps
Reppin
X
Over the years I've come to find out I'm on that sapiosexual wave like @PlutoEighth mentioned, without a doubt.

I actually married a dude I was not sexually attracted to When I was much younger.:skip: I was in IT at the time, he had the :ohlawd: troubleshooting skills and was genuinely sweet and charming.

Looking back on every relationship I've had with maybe one exception, my attraction came as a result of having good conversations and finding out compatible aspects of their personality over time.
Sapiosexual huh?:leon:I had to look that up. The definition reminds me of this...I could be wrong, but I would think not being physically attracted to someone would lead to more companionate love or even just liking over time?

Triangular-Love-Theory.png
Triangular-Theory.gif

Spike Tarantino

Esposa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Filfee Nasteh Duddy Souf
super interesting! Physically or personality wise or both? You like them big macho bodies? :lupe:

Surprisingly, no:francis: I've only ever dated one "muscly" guy and he turned out to be abusive, which is a shame because a lot of perfectly nice swole-brehs have to deal with that stereotype:sadcam:

Physically I'm not picky about height at all, but I'd say I prefer a dude with a Lil size to him, because I'm not a petite woman.

Although I am pretty progressive, the more traditional gender role and personality is what I dig:takedat:

-secure/confident
-Leadership oriented
-Mechanical/Infrastructure inclination.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
Surprisingly, no:francis: I've only ever dated one "muscly" guy and he turned out to be abusive, which is a shame because a lot of perfectly nice swole-brehs have to deal with that stereotype:sadcam:

Physically I'm not picky about height at all, but I'd say I prefer a dude with a Lil size to him, because I'm not a petite woman.

Although I am pretty progressive, the more traditional gender role and personality is what I dig:takedat:

-secure/confident
-Leadership oriented
sorry you had to go thru that
those traits combined sound like a cool guy :yes:

Spike Tarantino

Esposa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Filfee Nasteh Duddy Souf
Sapiosexual huh?:leon:I had to look that up. The definition reminds me of this...I could be wrong, but I would think not being physically attracted to someone would lead to more companionate love or even just liking over time?

Triangular-Love-Theory.png
Triangular-Theory.gif

Nice Graph:whoo:

I would say you're right, I'd term it companionate love based on these concentric circles. We were definitely commited, and shared close, intimate contact....but

... I never liked seeing him naked, tbh:damn:

Spike Tarantino

Esposa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Filfee Nasteh Duddy Souf
sorry you had to go thru that
those traits combined sound like a cool guy :yes:
Thank you and no sweat. In my line of work, I work with many people who have been abused. It gives me more tools to help them recover, because I can empathize with their pain more deeply.

Hopefully that cool guy can quit bullshyttin and scoop me up so we can enjoy a dope existence one day, he'd die happy:win:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dunno about stronger but I feel like genuine desire is a far more immediate and "in your face" high than the one that chemistry brings but it's also dissipates a lot quicker.

Chemistry is that slow burning kinda high. Lasts a long time and it might not feel as potent, initially, but when it finally clicks and its mutual...:blessed:

Daps
Reppin
X

-secure/confident
-Leadership oriented

It's funny, I think more traditional gender roles work well for male/female relationships and I consider myself non-traditional.

But when it comes to F/F relationships, I don't like the idea. I've always had a leadership mindset, probably too independent/too aloof and I like to work with my hands/fix things....but I don't want to handle everything and being submissive is fine by me. But most of all

When I scream "spider!:damn:" I want a woman to show up on some :boss: point at that bytch like :ufdup: while I'm:sadbron:
I was raised in BK, though, so I can handle chaotic situations, hood shyt, and mice :birdman: ....but no rats :whoa:
Nice Graph:whoo:

I would say you're right, I'd term it companionate love based on these concentric circles. We were definitely commited, and shared close, intimate contact....but

... I never liked seeing him naked, tbh:damn:

So you just played it off? :ohhh: I couldn't do it. Looks aren't everything, but like others have said there needs to be a level physical attraction. I just find it interesting that there's an elusive element that can heighten attraction.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
X
I dunno about stronger but I feel like genuine desire is a far more immediate and "in your face" high than the one that chemistry brings but it's also dissipates a lot quicker.

Chemistry is that slow burning kinda high. Lasts a long time and it might not feel as potent, initially, but when it finally clicks and its mutual...:blessed:
:obama:I think that would be infatuation (passion without intimacy) according to that chart.

Do you think chemistry can spark that sense of passion/desire, too?

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:obama:I think that would be infatuation (passion without intimacy) according to that chart.

Do you think chemistry can spark that sense of passion/desire, too?

To a certain degree but I'm of the belief that "raw desire" passion, that "I see this person and I'm instantly turned on" will FEEL stronger than the chemistry-powered desire.

It's not actually stronger but the high is more noticeable and apparent.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good question. I would lean more towards yes. I think the more natural your relationship with someone, the longer you'll be able to tolerate them regardless of how they look.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
To a certain degree but I'm of the belief that "raw desire" passion, that "I see this person and I'm instantly turned on" will FEEL stronger than the chemistry-powered desire.

It's not actually stronger but the high is more noticeable and apparent.
You just react to a different kind of chemistry, that's all. For some people, it's a slow burn, for others it's an explosion. It's the same for me - both girls I'd been with, the attraction was fairly explosive, I was fukking within hours. Now of course, they were both physical, somewhat short-term unions, so a long-term union would require a lot more maneuvering as far as other elements of compatibility are concerned. I became friends with one of the girls on the basis that there was a good level of communication and humor as well as sex. That indicated to me that I may need a lot of mental stimulation and verbal communication in relationships. So mental chemistry is desired - but it still needs to be somewhat quick and fiery for me to take notice!

For others, not so much.