Is atheism cac shyt?

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
I see, yeah its within the context of the Abrahamic god. So when that is brought up, they have to be opposed as one is affirmation, one is negation, and neither affirmation or negation on the position is agnosticism.

But I'm saying, a Christian is presented with the proposition, "Zeus exists", if the Christian says "Zeus does not exist", they hold to the negation of the proposition. If atheism is formally recognized as negation of p (god exists), the Christian is acting as an atheist when they reject Zeus since they are holding to the negation of p. I'm not seeing any way around that.
The Christian isn't 'acting as an atheist' by rejecting Zeus.

They are acting as a theist by affirming the existence of a 'deity' that isn't Zeus.​

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
The Christian isn't 'acting as an atheist' by rejecting Zeus.

They are acting as a theist by affirming the existence of a 'deity' that isn't Zeus.​
My edit:

I see this:

p = Abrahamic God exists

Atheist = ¬p
Christian = p

p = Zeus exists

Christian = ¬p
Zeus believer = p

So in those two arguments, the christian and the atheist act in a similar matter, they negate p. I'm not seeing how you can get around that. Understand in the proposition, the christian isn't being asked about their position on the christian god, simply Zeus, as that would be an entirely different syllogism.

Reflected

Daps
@Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

And with your most recent comment, I do see exactly what you are getting at but that isn't the syllogism being presented in the graphic, or by me.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
My edit:

I see this:

p = Abrahamic God exists

Atheist = ¬p
Christian = p

p = Zeus exists

Christian = ¬p
Zeus believer = p

So in those two arguments, the christian and the atheist act in a similar matter, they negate p. I'm not seeing how you can get around that. Understand in the proposition, the christian isn't being asked about their position on the christian god, simply Zeus, as that would be an entirely different syllogism.
This shows a fundamental lack of comprehension of theistic belief which is why you can't get around it. By asking a Christian, Muslim, Jew if they believe in Zeus, you ARE asking about their position regarding the 'deity' they worship.​

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
@Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

And with your most recent comment, I do see exactly what you are getting at but that isn't the syllogism being presented in the graphic, or by me.
Ahh, got it.

Glad this thread didn't go like ALL the other ones.

Then again, it's only 10 AM here so it'll probably go left later.​

Reflected

Daps
Ahh, got it.​
Yeah, I understand what you are getting at. If a christian is presenting as a theist, and they are presented with the claim "Zeus exists"as a challenge to their belief, and not a statement in a vacuum, they are presenting as theist and rejecting another theist on the basis of their theism, thus they can't be atheist in that syllogism. I agree with your take on that.

I was treating atheist and theist as position in a vacuum where one is simply negation and the other is affirmation, making it possible for each person to swap based on the presented proposition. So I don't think we were ever in disagreement, I just took longer to get your point because I decided stayed up for this f1 shyt while also attempting to fix my sleep schedule.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Yeah, I understand what you are getting at. If a christian is presenting as a theist, and they are presented with the claim "Zeus exists"as a challenge to their belief, and not a statement in a vacuum, they are presenting as theist and rejecting another theist on the basis of their theism, thus they can't be atheist in that syllogism. I agree with your take on that.

I was treating atheist and theist as position in a vacuum where one is simply negation and the other is affirmation, making it possible for each person to swap based on the presented proposition. So I don't think we were ever in disagreement, I just took longer to get your point because I decided stayed up for this f1 shyt while also attempting to fix my sleep schedule.
If I could +rep you, I would.

:salute:

Satsui no Hadou

CHICANO 🇲🇽 🇺🇸
Daps
I’m agnostic. I used to be on the atheist tip in my teen years, and there is one event in my life that I remember to this day. My mom was in the hospital for months at a time…she was dying. I remember being in the room while the clergymen they have were performing prayers. I’m not a Christian, and in fact I find the bulk of Christianity repugnant, and so I respectfully declined but I stayed because that’s my mom.

I never thought too much of it, and I wasn’t trying to be an a$$hole, but yet, I still feel a deep sense of regret. Over time my views transformed, as my knowledge the world grew. I came to realize that there is no real answers, and any attempt by humans to come to any concrete understanding of the universe as it exists are futile. Every step we take we realize that we are nowhere near the scope of reality.

I think there is something out there, but it is outside of our comprehension. Whether this thing cares for humans or not, I can’t say for certain, but I’m leaning towards the latter. Of what use are some stupid meat bags on earth to something like that?

But as for my views on the subject, I was greatly inspired by the stoics and Spinoza ethics. I find eastern philosophy fascinating as well. What Spinoza posited was that everything came from a whole substance(much like the stoics, but they are more so known for the practicality of their philosophy) and everything and anything is but a facet of that universal substance. It really brought to terms a lot of things for me…it would be selfish of me to turn away.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This is where y'all place your faith.

Jesus-name-powerful.jpg
Lies

Don’t trust the Government

This officer is lying

I have no white Messiah

Jesus is black

Judgement Day coming soon

Daps
None of that is REQUIRED to be a theist and the 'one less g-d' thing is just poor logic made popular by the likes of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.

Great orators, bad theologians.

Theists believe a 'deity' exists.

Atheists believe NONE exist.

One =/ Zero​

Uhhhh so they believe one less deity than you :dahell:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
That video is nauseating.

Atheist, as recognized by most philosophers, who have all taken formal logic is simply negation of P. "P" being the proposition which is x exists.
In the context of belief in a higher power, shouldn't the variable x be restricted to the set of gods, as in
∀x∈G, with G=[All gods imaginable],
Which would make the position of the atheist and the believer, whichever type the latter is, formally logically distinct from one another?

Reducing atheism to simple non-belief in at least one thing, in the context of faith, seems to me inaccurate and petty. It doesn't reflect that the atheist denies the entire set of gods possibilities.