IS American Gangster a classic film?

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what do you think of this film 8 years later? does it hold up? i never liked the Russell Crowe portion. one thing cats need to learn about gangster and crime films, the police part is always theleast interesting, and they dedicated half this film to that shyt. They should have kept it on Frank Lucas and his family and his business i think it would have been better. i give it a solid 8/10.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't think so. I think it's got a lot of good to it and I like it a lot but it misses the mark. And not because they focused on Russell's character as much as Frank's but because there's an energy that it seems to lack and its larger points about the environment that would make frank do what he does is kinda lost in the sauce

Arc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It felt like it could be but never was. The "20 percent " part is classic to me personally.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think the focus on Crowe is justified because in most great crime dramas, there is always focus on both sides of the law.

With that said, it's not classic at all. It's a bland movie, carried by some good acting

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think the focus on Crowe is justified because in most great crime dramas, there is always focus on both sides of the law.

With that said, it's not classic at all. It's a bland movies, carried by some good acting

Yeah there's just no energy to it or just a lack of energy which is crazy. I blame that on Ridley though. I love the movie but I'm not blind enough to say everything I love is a classic