Is Akira Toriyama a good writer?

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Rewatching DB znd DBZ there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of thought put into his writing. Not as much as say OP, early Naruto or Yu Yu Hakusho. Am I alone in this thinking?
Not Dissing the gawd.
But he's no Yoshiyuki Tomino

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Dragonball is the SIMPLEST story ever.

But there’s a lot of heart put into it. Akira isn’t a great “writer” per say but Dragonball is the greatest Shonen Manga/Anime of all time so thats a hige testament to his legacy
I'm not debating it's impact or his legacy. But he's basically Stan Lee. Let's be honest.

Sir Charles Barkley

The Chuckster
Daps
Reppin
TNT & Turner Family
he was writing an issue a week for 10 years straight without breaks or hiatus... you can’t expect a deeply complex narrative. he was basically making it up as he went along.

when you take that into consideration what he was actually able to do is kind of amazing. it wasn’t shakespeare but there were definitely enough twists and turns to keep things interesting and anything that was built up usually paid off.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dragonball is the SIMPLEST story ever.

But there’s a lot of heart put into it. Akira isn’t a great “writer” per say but Dragonball is the greatest Shonen Manga/Anime of all time so thats a hige testament to his legacy
What about Fist of North star that anime/manga is like the grandfather of super power martial arts.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
he was writing an issue a week for 10 years straight without breaks or hiatus... you can’t expect a deeply complex narrative. he was basically making it up as he went along.

when you take that into consideration what he was actually able to do is kind of amazing. it wasn’t shakespeare but there were definitely enough twists and turns to keep things interesting and anything that was built up usually paid off.
Yeah. DB was his best run by far and after that....

I'll give him credit. He was shooting from the hip for the whole android/cell saga :mjlol: for that to turn out anywhere near as good as it did is a huge credit to him. Maybe if the fanboys got off Goku's dikk then he could've kept things going the way he intended :scust:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The writing in DB after the Cell Games sucks, but to be fair, a lot of authors probably don't expect a series to last beyond a certain point. Once they realize "Oh shyt, people actually like this and the publishers want more, I thought it'd be a wrap after 80 chapters:guilty:" then the have to deviate from their planned story and planned ending,and start padding and stretching while incorporating ideas that the publisher and the audience want. Even then I sure some people get into the game are like "fukk it, I'll improv after this point and figure the end out later:yeshrug:" I'm convinced a series like Naruto was just ass pulls with a vague outline after a 100 and something chapters in( they probably started planning shyt again for a bit after the time skip, but you cant tell me they planned something like a zombie ninja war from the beginning:mjlol:).

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'm no manga/anime person I just know the mainstream ones like OP, Naruto, AOT,
So my pool of comparison is small

So if I were to compare him to the others I would say he's ok.

He's no Oda

But honestly he's better than Kishi, and Kubo.

I only know Togashi in regards to YuYu idk shyt nor do I care about HxH. So if I was to compare them I would say they r close to equal.
Tho Togashi seems to plan a little(going off Yuyu)

Toriyama is a good writer. He's just someone who keeps it simple. And that's somewhat his strength

Because some artist can handle creating a convoluted multi layered story, with tons stories/narratives going on with so many parts - ex Oda with One Piece

But others can't and it falls apart to being shyt - ex: Kishi with Naruto

Tori keeping it simple is what makes DB >>>>> Better than Naruto

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Yeah. DB was his best run by far and after that....

I'll give him credit. He was shooting from the hip for the whole android/cell saga :mjlol: for that to turn out anywhere near as good as it did is a huge credit to him. Maybe if the fanboys got off Goku's dikk then he could've kept things going the way he intended :scust:
I heard he got death threats to bring Goku back.:scust:

Sir Charles Barkley

The Chuckster
Daps
Reppin
TNT & Turner Family
did AT ever ‘intend’ to move away from goku though?

gohan had his moment and made for a great place filler but I just can’t imagine him as the lead. i think goku was always going to come back.

plus let’s be honest the buu saga gets better when he shows back up.