Is A Death Wish Remake A Good Idea?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No. Part of what makes Death Wish so good is the gritty 70s filmmaking.

Just make a new title with a similar premise

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
No. Part of what makes Death Wish so good is the gritty 70s filmmaking.

Just make a new title with a similar premise

That and also, this ain't the 70s anymore and having a white guy going around shooting up minorities or feeling like the answer to crime on the streets is a gun just doesnt seem like a good look today.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That and also, this ain't the 70s anymore and having a white guy going around shooting up minorities or feeling like the answer to crime on the streets is a gun just doesnt seem like a good look today.
Absolutely. It's like trying to remake Blazing Saddles but removing the rape, race, and gay jokes :laugh:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Oh man I really don't think it can work in these days and times but it will be interesting to see what Roth can come up with. I'm actually good with Kevin Bacon's Death Sentence. I think that's the closest we gonna get.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Absolutely. It's like trying to remake Blazing Saddles but removing the rape, race, and gay jokes :laugh:

Yeah Blazing Saddles would never see the light of day today even though Mel was poking fun at the type of people who are racists, rapists, and homophobic. It couldn't be done at all. Death Wish was a response to a crime rate of the 70s..we don't have that situation now so in a societal context, it kinda makes no sense. From what I read, the directors that left the project wanted to explore that nuance of where we are today and how different we see vigilantism in light of terrorists and mass shootings, etc. The studio and Bruce Willis didn't want to go that route tho, wanting something "right down the middle" so they said fukk it and bounced. This coming right after the original director, Joe Carnahan, also bounced once the studio cast Bruce instead of Liam

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It won't do Charles Bronson the GAWD any justice:leostare:

...and ELi Roth is a one-trick hack:yeshrug:

Why can't they just leave my childhood intact:wtb:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It won't do Charles Bronson the GAWD any justice:leostare:

...and ELi Roth is a one-trick hack:yeshrug:

Why can't they just leave my childhood intact:wtb:
Our childhood is cool. I use to get mad at these remakes but their garbagness speaks for itself. Robocop remake was trash and forgotten about almost immediately. The same with Total Recall remake, Conan remake, and the TMNT. I'm sure Ghostbusters will do the same.Those movie fizzle out so quick they are barely a foot note.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Should have set it in Mexico and have dude going against the cartel meh

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Who cares its a movie

Lol so you're missing the whole point of the thread then homie. If the original movie was a response to the spiking crime rate in the 70s and urban decay and white flight, etc and then the sequels became increasingly more racist and stereotypical and just repugnant from a race standpoint, essentially saying anyone who's black or brown is the bad guy and this white guy will save the day, then it's not "just a movie"

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our childhood is cool. I use to get mad at these remakes but their garbagness speaks for itself. Robocop remake was trash and forgotten about almost immediately. The same with Total Recall remake, Conan remake, and the TMNT. I'm sure Ghostbusters will do the same.Those movie fizzle out so quick they are barely a foot note.

Robocop remake was dope in my opinion. Really liked the social commentary and that they didn't try to be like the original.
Conan wasn't bad either, imo. Not sure I would call it a remake though.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Robocop remake was dope in my opinion. Really liked the social commentary and that they didn't try to be like the original.
Conan wasn't bad either, imo. Not sure I would call it a remake though.

Conan was exactly what it needed to be and Robocop had some redeeming qualities to it. Cats lamed out because it wasn't rated R. The total recall remake was bland as hell which was the issue with it