Is 2000 the only year thats universally praised in wwe history?

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Rocky Maivia was nowhere close to his prime :russ: He didn't even start The Rock character until the night after Survivor Series. And Mick had only *just* started hitting his stride as a character, he was still a year away.

That's why I said *most* of the mid card was trash, you had a couple of bright spots but those PPV cards were usually fast forward material.
I disagree.

I think joining The Nation of Domination is the beginning of prime The Rock as we know him.

It's not his peak, but it is the beginning of his prime.

Hell, even his theme music after all this time is still just a modified version of the old Nation music.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
1997 and 2000 were great years for the WWE.

‘98 and ‘02 were good too.

‘99 was mid….not due to the roster but because of the insane stupid storylines and short matches with run ins and dqs.

‘01 was great up until the invasion angle….then it became mid.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Wwe weekly programming has never been good wholeheartedly ever .

You can search crz and or Keith and read it yourself.
This is why you guys need to rant.

So you know what was good.

Only wrasslin show programming that has been excellent top to bottom all time .

roh tv on directv

Only show that delivered. Without a bunch of burial based programming. Where you never had to.
overly suspend belief and ignore low quality.
to tune in the next week.

Only drawback was wwe raiding rohtv's main event talent.

Then weak ass cornette ruining roh after that.
with tyler black and roderick strong being inmediate turn the channel nyquil.
plus hating on the much better higher quality austin aries.

Art Barr

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
Im in 2000 WWE now and it is Great,I think it is due to running Angle,Kris,Jericho(along with the Tag Teams) in between Rock and HHH until Austin returned was Pluses and The PPVs so far(at No Mercy 2000)are PPV like and not an extension of RAW(RR was GOATed as usual)

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
20+ years since a universally praised year….:flabbynsick:

But let's be real, there couldn't have possibly been another universally praised time since then because we're in the internet age where we're always gonna see people criticize everything for whatever reason. There's no real way to gauge what "everybody" thought back during the 80s to the mid-90s, and from the time the internet message boards and then social media took shape, there's been damn near nothing "universally" loved. No matter how good something is or isn't, there's gonna be a vocal part of the audience that's gonna have alternative opinions.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
But let's be real, there couldn't have possibly been another universally praised time since then because we're in the internet age where we're always gonna see people criticize everything for whatever reason. There's no real way to gauge what "everybody" thought back during the 80s to the mid-90s, and from the time the internet message boards and then social media took shape, there's been damn near nothing "universally" loved. No matter how good something is or isn't, there's gonna be a vocal part of the audience that's gonna have alternative opinions.
I used to think this, but. . .

From the time Vince stepped down the 1st time, until Wrestlemania 40 (outside of a few hiccups) has pretty much been universally praised by virtually everybody, even non-wrestling fans..

Hell, peak-"Bloodline" with Sami Zayn had people saying they'd win an Emmy. Just about everyone has said it's the best story WWE's ever told (or at least top 3)

Outside of a few AEW stans, which don't count, WWE has been universally praised. :yeshrug:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Universal praise feels impossible

Even the other years mentioned that were very good werent universally praised

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Not much happened & I guess WCW was so bad at that point that even without Austin for most of the year it was still a good year for WWE
"Not much happened"...absolute nonsense
I heard that kreski is pretty much overrated and would just sit and not say much during creative meetings.. that's what Pritchard said

Also Gewirtz takes credit for being head writer after Russo left.

I don't know if any of that is true though. They could just be gatekeeping cause kreski was an outsider to the wrestling business
One of the great all-time lies by Pritchard there, and if you think about for a second, you'll understand why he tells it.. Kreski is the man responsible for the greatest year in WWE booking. Who replaced him? Stephanie. For no reason other than the WWE being a toxic dump.

Pritchard's telling of the Kreski story is going to be extremely warped.

Kreski loved wrestling (huge negative if you worked in the WWE at the time), was extremely organized (lol), and swore by long term storytelling. One of the biggest shames of a generation is that Kreski was not the head booker for the Invasion.

The fact that they followed up his iconic WWE 2000 with the nightmare that is 2001 should be all there needs to be said about who was actually doing what in 2000.

Kreski dying a few years later is really the icing on this narrative though.

What do you expect those peoeple to say about him?

"Oh Kreski? Yeah he's responsible for one of the best years of the company but we bullied him for being a nerd and took his job because he couldn't deal with it, we ran the product into the ground and he's died tragically of cancer a few years later. Good times."

Last edited:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I'd say 1997, 2000, 2002, 2012-2013.

And how about 2022 and 2023? haven't the periods without Vince in the last couple of years received universal praise too?
98, 99, 200, 2001 2023, this year, like I think we tend to overthink this stuff sometimes, we are on a forum looking for shyt to talk about everyday. When the average wrestling fan doesn't critique wrestling like we do, there are a lot of years that most fans that are not online praise.

But also what is the bar for a good year in wrestling? because saying every ppl has to be good to great is a lot to ask for

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If we just talking WWE, you got 91, 92, 98, 22, 23

Not gonna lie, '91 was like the beginning of the end of their glory years... that's when the steroid shyt started and people were getting let go, the Mania that had to be moved into a regular arena cause the tickets weren't moving, the Slaughter storyline that got hella criticism, Warrior getting dropped, Hogan started gettin' played out... that time period was far from universally praised. There was good shyt in there, but that was where shyt started going awry.