Internet is required for PS5 Pro Disc Drive... Affecting Game preservation and repairs

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

Sony is rolling out redesigned, smaller PlayStation 5 models in November, including a new optional Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive that can pair to a Digital Edition PS5 in order to let digital gamers move to discs later. But it appears that those who decide to add a Blu-ray drive later on will require an internet connection to pair the console and the drive together.

Call of Duty-focused site Charlie Intel posted images on X (formerly known as Twitter) of a Call of Duty Modern Warfare III bundle featuring the slim PS5, and readers noticed that the fine print on the box reads "Internet connection required to pair Disc Drive and PS5 console upon setup."

It's time to get Sony out the paint brehs.. this is absolutely ridiculous

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it makes sense to prevent people from using 3rd party drives, that could allow piracy. I wonder if it will allow you, or at least make it easy, to use the same optical drive in multiple consoles, buy/sell used optical drives, etc.

Stinky Diver

attitude as bad as his odor
Daps
it makes sense to prevent people from using 3rd party drives, that could allow piracy. I wonder if it will allow you, or at least make it easy, to use the same optical drive in multiple consoles, buy/sell used optical drives, etc.
Yea that’s the point of it. My slim did a one time check of the drive and that was it. When I move it to PS5 pro it will do a one time check again and that will be it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
hypothetical submarine person can only play physical games. but they also can't activate the optical drive to play those physical games