Instead of blaming rap for violence and negativity in the black community, let's take a look at PTSD

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
They are.
OP never said Hip-hop didn't have a negative impact.
But the fact that you gotta come in and say "But hip-hop still has a negative impact" trivializes his whole point.

But OP's thread title trivialized the fact that hiphop can have a negative affect on certain individuals. And also lets stop accusing people of saying hiphop is the "sole/primary" cause of anything. Nobody is saying that. Lets all agree once and for all that it can be fuel on top of the fire.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
But OP's thread title trivialized the fact that hiphop can have a negative affect on certain individuals. And also lets stop accusing people of saying hiphop is the "sole/primary" cause of anything. Nobody is saying that. Lets all agree once and for all that it can be fuel on top of the fire.

Except you said just this earlier today. You also contradicted yourself as well.

Exactly. This music is 100%, without question playing a role in our own self-hate. Its causing us to view OURSELVES as the enemy. Its making blacks see other blacks as a threat and not to be trusted. Its causing young black boys to look at women as "b1tches, h0es & thots", its making young black girls view THEMSELVES as "b1tches, h0es & thots". And you're spot-on about the lyrics targeting "n1kkaz" only. And also, why isn't music like this made by white artists? I listen to alot of pop music also. I never hear music about murder, gang affiliation, and dope peddling on the airwaves aimed at white stations BY white artists. White people do all these things too right? Jewish people do all these things too right? Asian people do all these things too right? Why is it that ONLY BLACK PEOPLE are pushed to make music that promotes its own peoples' demise? I always ask dudes to post songs by whites and jews to prove me wrong but they never can. I said this in another thread and they got mad but the hiphop culture is the main reason why the word "thug" is synonymous with black people.

So either you're trolling, don't know what the fukk it is you're talking about, simply confused and prone to spout irrational statements or a combination of all three.

Now which is it? Try not to accuse me of being white this time. That was extremely telling of your own prejudices and thoughts in regards to your own people.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Except you said just this earlier today. You also contradicted yourself as well.

So either you're trolling, don't know what the fukk it is you're talking about, simply confused and prone to spout irrational statements or a combination of all three.

Now which is it? Try not to accuse me of being white this time. That was extremely telling of your own prejudices and thoughts in regards to your own people.

honestly, i have no idea how that post contradicts anything, specifically what you highlighted in red. Can YOU post any mainstream music by white artists that promote and glorify murder, dope dealing and the gang/prison lifestyle? and how is stating the OBVIOUS making me "prejudice" to my own people?:what:

user1

Pro
Daps
Warning: TL;DR ahoy

• Re-experiencing the trauma through intrusive distressing recollections of the event, flashbacks, and nightmares.
  • Emotional numbness and avoidance of places, people, and activities that are reminders of the trauma.
  • Increased arousal such as difficulty sleeping and concentrating, feeling jumpy, and being easily irritated and angered.
Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violation:

• directly experiencing the traumatic events
  • witnessing, in person, the traumatic events
  • learning that the traumatic events occurred to a close family member or close friend; cases of actual or threatened death must have been violent or accidental
  • experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic events (Examples are first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse). Note: This does not apply to exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures, unless exposure is work-related.
Persistent avoidance of distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic events or of external reminders (i.e., people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations)
  • inability to remember an important aspect of the traumatic events (not due to head injury, alcohol, or drugs)
  • persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., “I am bad,” “No one can be trusted,” "The world is completely dangerous").
  • persistent, distorted blame of self or others about the cause or consequences of the traumatic events
  • persistent fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame
  • markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities
  • feelings of detachment or estrangement from others
  • persistent inability to experience positive emotions
Two or more of the following marked changes in arousal and reactivity:
I know I'm a singular case but I got diagnosed with PTSD from my doctor. And I can attest to all of the above being prevalent for me in the past and now. Some of it has gotten better and some of it hasn't. The greatest shock was learning I had it, reading the list of symptoms and being able to identify down to a T all of my quirks and "traits" that weren't me but the symptoms manifesting. It is still scary to think about the "fog" or "cloud" of PTSD I can walk around in and how NORMAL violence and TRAUMA is. I have trouble recognizing danger. Kinda like how when some shyt goes down up the block, some black people want to go outside and see whats going on. I think the ghetto makes us immune to it. And I know I be rubbernecking lol.
I have definitely spent hours writing and talking about my environment in therapy and how it has affected me. I've been through so many violent and traumatic occurrences and I'm so removed from it emotionally, I only get the "shock" and "craziness" of it when my doctors respond to my stories. I know for a fact living in the ghetto and the burden of being black in this fukked up and racist society caused most if not all of my symptoms and problems. And it is prevalent in my family as well. I can see it every time I try to communicate with them. Especially the further I go to get better. For me some of the hardest trauma has been leaving the environment I was born into, to see more of the world and learn my past was fukked up and then understand that I deserved better but was given SO MUCH less. Then having to look back at some of my family still trapped there while I feel like the sacrificial lamb that made it but will never fit in the "larger" world I made it into because of all of this.

I liken it to when Nas described the trouble he has finding a woman/wife due to his success. He feels comfortable with hood girls because they get him, but they cannot grasp the wealth and success of his ACTUAL life and do not want to grow into it. And the women he is around in that world look past him because of his past and can never truly get him. And whether he dates black or white (for example) he gets shyt in his face either way. I get it. Black people are stuck in this crazy suffocating vacuum that only we truly understand but it is also us that sometimes put the hands to each other's throat.

It's like learning you can finally swim but you can't take off those ankle weights you were born with because its your birthmark. So I cosign that PTSD is a problem for me and I would venture to say many people who grew up black in fukking America struggle with it too. They just don't know they have it. I didn't.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
But I'm actually interested if there's a connection between mental health and disorders in regards to the black community.

You already know

honestly, i have no idea how that post contradicts anything, specifically what you highlighted in red. Can YOU post any mainstream music by white artists that promote and glorify murder, dope dealing and the gang/prison lifestyle? and how is stating the OBVIOUS making me "prejudice" to my own people?:what:

Dude, White people don't live in ghettos in Amerikkka.

White people aren't the ones living in those types of environments that made gangsta rap possible.

How many White people live in ghetto ass Compton, Detroit, New Orleans, etc. . .

But White people have their own "negative" music that glorifies self-destructive tendencies. . or have you never heard of

I mean, Nirvana's got a song called "I Hate Myself and Want To Die", right before their lead singer blew his head off.. Alice In Chains made "Junkhead" about taking as many drugs as possible. People like the Rolling Stones and Motley Crue and Wasp have album covers about torturing and degrading women.

I mean, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne used to be torturing and killing animals onstage. Judas Priest went on trial for allegedly inspiring kids to kill themselves.

I mean, White people doing all of this while all our singers like the Temptations were singing "sugar pie, honey bunch", they were singing about Satan and killing folks.

You need to do your homework, homie

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
You already know

Dude, White people don't live in ghettos in Amerikkka.

White people aren't the ones living in those types of environments that made gangsta rap possible.

How many White people live in ghetto ass Compton, Detroit, New Orleans, etc. . .

But White people have their own "negative" music that glorifies self-destructive tendencies. . or have you never heard of

I mean, Nirvana's got a song called "I Hate Myself and Want To Die", right before their lead singer blew his head off.. Alice In Chains made "Junkhead" about taking as many drugs as possible. People like the Rolling Stones and Motley Crue and Wasp have album covers about torturing and degrading women.

I mean, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne used to be torturing and killing animals onstage. Judas Priest went on trial for allegedly inspiring kids to kill themselves.

I mean, White people doing all of this while all our singers like the Temptations were singing "sugar pie, honey bunch", they were singing about Satan and killing folks.

You need to do your homework, homie

The fact that u gotta reach way back and namedrop Nirvana and Rolling Stones tells me all that i need to know. Now again, post me something current and mainstream by another race of people where they are rapping/singing about killing their own people and flooding their own communities with dope.

Soon

Banned
Daps
For them to develop PTSD their neighborhood has to be violent with murders like Baltimore or California.

Most kids develop borderline personality disorders (BPD).

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
The fact that u gotta reach way back and namedrop Nirvana and Rolling Stones tells me all that i need to know. Now again, post me something current and mainstream by another race of people where they are rapping/singing about killing their own people and flooding their own communities with dope.

You dumb nikka.

I already told you WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE IN THE GHETTO IN AMERIKKKA.

Rappers are talking about their environment. The Black community's environment is filled with the things rappers are talking about.

White folks communities aren't filled with gangbangers, pimps, hoes, etc. . . That's common sense.

And if you want current mainstream, then look at Mexican murder ballads "narcocorridos". Some of Mexico's most famous singers are essentially "gangster singers" who sing about all the same shyt gangsta rappers do and get killed a lot more than rappers do.

And it predates gangsta rap by 30 years as well and has been some of the most popular music in the Latin community

'It's Like a Horror Movie': The Grisly Details Behind Mexico's Narcocorrido Murder Epidemic

By Leila Cobo, Miami | April 10, 2015 1:00 PM EDT

crime-scene-tijuana-mexico-march-21-billboard-650.jpg

The crime scene in Tijuana, Mexico after Lizarraga's murder on March 21, 2015.

Luis Gerardo Andrade
"Artists get killed because they played at a party for a [rival] drug dealer; because they looked at a dealer's girlfriend."
On Feb. 27, 20-year-old singer Alfredito Olivas was shot eight times while performing at a nightclub in Parral, Mexico. On March 22, grupero star Javier Rosas was shot multiple times while riding in an SUV in the northern Mexico state of Sinaloa.

Both singers, known for narcocorridos -- danceable, accordion-driven songs that tell often-celebratory tales about drug dealers -- survived. But Rogelio Brambila Lizarraga, singer of Los Plebes del Arranke, a relatively obscure group whose songs reference the notorious Arellano Felix cartel, wasn't as fortunate. On March 21, the 22-year-old's body was found in a parked car in Tijuana, Mexico, riddled with bullets from two different guns.

Singer Javier Rosas Shot in Mexico

Along with the death of narcocorrido singer Ariel Camacho in a car accident, those incidents -- which took place within the span of four weeks -- have again turned the spotlight on the dangerous lives of regional Mexican singers south of the border. The deaths aren't collateral damage in a country ravaged by drug-related violence: They're an acknowledged risk for performers of the genre.

"It's like a horror movie," says one independent promoter. "Artists get killed because they played at a party for a [rival] drug dealer; because they looked at a dealer's girlfriend; because they get paid to write or record a song about one dealer and a rival gets upset; or because they somehow piss off the dealer who's funding their career."

Indeed, Rosas (who sang songs about the Sinaloa cartel) and Lizarraga are rumored to have been targeted by rival gangs, and Olivas is said to have been flirting with the girlfriend of the man arrested for his shooting.

"When a singer gets shot, it gets bigger headlines than a police chief getting shot," says Elijah Wald, author of Narcocorrido: A Journey into the Music of Drugs, Guns and Guerillas.

"There's different reasons for these killings but there are two factors that haven't changed," adds Alfredo Corchado, Mexico City bureau chief for the Dallas Morning News and author of the book Midnight in Mexico. "Impunity is very high: They kill because they can. And murder is news, which is what killers seek, and it's particularly newsy if you're dealing with a famous singer."

Mexican Singer Alfredo Olivas Shot During Concert

Why would artists take such a risk? Because underworld figures are the biggest benefactors of many regional Mexican musicians' careers.

"Think about it," the promoter continues. "You're a young artist and someone offers you $100,000 to record a song and make it a hit. It goes to No. 1, and suddenly Univision and Telemundo are battling for you."

The killing spree goes back to the first high-profile murder of the modern era: singer Chalino Sanchez in 1992. Corridos -- narrative songs telling stories of struggle, heroes and anti-heroes have been an integral part of Mexican culture since the 1800s, and the "narco" variation has been around since the early 1900s. But the genre, which was still underground at the time of Sanchez's death, has grown in popularity along with the country's drug violence. Since then, at least a dozen big-name acts have been murdered, including Valentin Elizalde in 2006 and Sergio Gomez in 2007. And in 2013, 17 members of lesser-known band Kombo Kolombia were kidnapped and executed. Following an investigation, the DA of the state of Nuevo Leon said the musicians were ordered killed by their original benefactors, the Mexican cartel Los Zetas, as retaliation for playing shows for rival drug factions.

And while some acts have curtailed their performances or stopped singing narcocorridos (like superstar Gerardo Ortiz, who has been shot at twice, though he denies any cartel connections), there is little sympathy for those who are seeking notoriety by mythologizing the cartels. "If you're not involved with drug dealers, there's no reason to be afraid," says another promoter, echoing the words of several others who work with regional Mexican acts.

Yet the songs, and the violence, go on. "There's an old saying in Sinaloa: 'I'd rather live five years like a king rather than 50 years like an ox,'" says Corchado. "When I first began covering this 10 years ago, I'd hear that in Sinaloa. Now I hear it all over Mexico. That's our sad reality."

An edited version of this article first appeared in the April 18 issue of Billboard.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
You dumb nikka.

I already told you WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE IN THE GHETTO IN AMERIKKKA.

Rappers are talking about their environment. The Black community's environment is filled with the things rappers are talking about.

White folks communities aren't filled with gangbangers, pimps, hoes, etc. . . That's common sense.

And if you want current mainstream, then look at Mexican murder ballads "narcocorridos". Some of Mexico's most famous singers are essentially "gangster singers" who sing about all the same shyt gangsta rappers do and get killed a lot more than rappers do.

And it predates gangsta rap by 30 years as well and has been some of the most popular music in the Latin community

'It's Like a Horror Movie': The Grisly Details Behind Mexico's Narcocorrido Murder Epidemic

By Leila Cobo, Miami | April 10, 2015 1:00 PM EDT

crime-scene-tijuana-mexico-march-21-billboard-650.jpg

The crime scene in Tijuana, Mexico after Lizarraga's murder on March 21, 2015.

Luis Gerardo Andrade
"Artists get killed because they played at a party for a [rival] drug dealer; because they looked at a dealer's girlfriend."
On Feb. 27, 20-year-old singer Alfredito Olivas was shot eight times while performing at a nightclub in Parral, Mexico. On March 22, grupero star Javier Rosas was shot multiple times while riding in an SUV in the northern Mexico state of Sinaloa.

Both singers, known for narcocorridos -- danceable, accordion-driven songs that tell often-celebratory tales about drug dealers -- survived. But Rogelio Brambila Lizarraga, singer of Los Plebes del Arranke, a relatively obscure group whose songs reference the notorious Arellano Felix cartel, wasn't as fortunate. On March 21, the 22-year-old's body was found in a parked car in Tijuana, Mexico, riddled with bullets from two different guns.

Singer Javier Rosas Shot in Mexico

Along with the death of narcocorrido singer Ariel Camacho in a car accident, those incidents -- which took place within the span of four weeks -- have again turned the spotlight on the dangerous lives of regional Mexican singers south of the border. The deaths aren't collateral damage in a country ravaged by drug-related violence: They're an acknowledged risk for performers of the genre.

"It's like a horror movie," says one independent promoter. "Artists get killed because they played at a party for a [rival] drug dealer; because they looked at a dealer's girlfriend; because they get paid to write or record a song about one dealer and a rival gets upset; or because they somehow piss off the dealer who's funding their career."

Indeed, Rosas (who sang songs about the Sinaloa cartel) and Lizarraga are rumored to have been targeted by rival gangs, and Olivas is said to have been flirting with the girlfriend of the man arrested for his shooting.

"When a singer gets shot, it gets bigger headlines than a police chief getting shot," says Elijah Wald, author of Narcocorrido: A Journey into the Music of Drugs, Guns and Guerillas.

"There's different reasons for these killings but there are two factors that haven't changed," adds Alfredo Corchado, Mexico City bureau chief for the Dallas Morning News and author of the book Midnight in Mexico. "Impunity is very high: They kill because they can. And murder is news, which is what killers seek, and it's particularly newsy if you're dealing with a famous singer."

Mexican Singer Alfredo Olivas Shot During Concert

Why would artists take such a risk? Because underworld figures are the biggest benefactors of many regional Mexican musicians' careers.

"Think about it," the promoter continues. "You're a young artist and someone offers you $100,000 to record a song and make it a hit. It goes to No. 1, and suddenly Univision and Telemundo are battling for you."

The killing spree goes back to the first high-profile murder of the modern era: singer Chalino Sanchez in 1992. Corridos -- narrative songs telling stories of struggle, heroes and anti-heroes have been an integral part of Mexican culture since the 1800s, and the "narco" variation has been around since the early 1900s. But the genre, which was still underground at the time of Sanchez's death, has grown in popularity along with the country's drug violence. Since then, at least a dozen big-name acts have been murdered, including Valentin Elizalde in 2006 and Sergio Gomez in 2007. And in 2013, 17 members of lesser-known band Kombo Kolombia were kidnapped and executed. Following an investigation, the DA of the state of Nuevo Leon said the musicians were ordered killed by their original benefactors, the Mexican cartel Los Zetas, as retaliation for playing shows for rival drug factions.

And while some acts have curtailed their performances or stopped singing narcocorridos (like superstar Gerardo Ortiz, who has been shot at twice, though he denies any cartel connections), there is little sympathy for those who are seeking notoriety by mythologizing the cartels. "If you're not involved with drug dealers, there's no reason to be afraid," says another promoter, echoing the words of several others who work with regional Mexican acts.

Yet the songs, and the violence, go on. "There's an old saying in Sinaloa: 'I'd rather live five years like a king rather than 50 years like an ox,'" says Corchado. "When I first began covering this 10 years ago, I'd hear that in Sinaloa. Now I hear it all over Mexico. That's our sad reality."

An edited version of this article first appeared in the April 18 issue of Billboard.
I aint reading all that shyt c00n. Stop :cape:'ing for black genocide music. If you're white carry on cuz i understand that YOU dont understand

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Mutiple factors that I could see affecting the youth yet going against children being forced to only listen to bad rap music is still a good thing nonetheless.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Mutiple factors that I could see affecting the youth yet going against children being forced to only listen to bad rap music is still a good thing nonetheless.

Funny how @HankHill says threads have no affect whatsoever. The only reason you're posting in this thread now is because MY threads inspired him to make this one. Think about it.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I aint reading all that shyt c00n. Stop :cape:'ing for black genocide music. If you're white carry on cuz i understand that YOU dont understand

Of course yo dumb ass can't read.

Yo dumb ass say, "Show me another race of people who's artists sing about the shyt Black rappers do". I pull up a Billboard magazine article about Mexicans singing about EXACTLY THE SAME shyt and you on some Colin Powell "I aint reading all that shyt" steez.

You a clown nikka.

Soon

Banned
Daps
Of course yo dumb ass can't read.

Yo dumb ass say, "Show me another race of people who's artists sing about the shyt Black rappers do". I pull up a Billboard magazine article about Mexicans singing about EXACTLY THE SAME shyt and you on some Colin Powell "I aint reading all that shyt" steez.

You a clown nikka.

I would ignore this guy, he is one of those narrow minded self righteous folks.

Those types are so one dimensional.