Instead of blaming rap for violence and negativity in the black community, let's take a look at PTSD

Couth

I gave her D she got mad
Daps
Can someone please explain to me why hip hop would have a more negative effect than violent movies? Crime has a rather strong correlation with poverty, sadly we as a demographic tend to be less fortunate than other demographics. If hip hop is so negative an influence, why don't we commit more crimes than other demographics that are unrelated to financial gain? Why is it that wanton/pointless violence, (mass shootings, serial killings, etc.) tend to be done overwhelmingly by whites?

And if someone is going to mention gang violence, I'd like to point out that turf wars usually occur over the profitability of operations within a particular neighborhood (and thus are usually related to financial gain)
Movies are fake and they never claim to be real. Actors don't walk around claiming they made millions of dollars off of criminal activity.

Most rappers claim that they're real. That they really came up off criminal activity. And if people think a rapper is fake they throw him in the bushes.

What other communities are doing really doesn't matter. Fact is rap fuels a materialistic and backwards mindset. Most of the rappers who make these vids don't even get that type of money. They're showing money to attract people so they can make money. Kinda like how pimps peacock for hoes.

And a lot of these kids are falling for the trap. Like look at all these dudes from chicago claiming gang, gang, gang and killing each other for fame and cash.

Rap music isn't the problem, but it adds fuel to the fire. if you're already an ignorant ass nikka rap music will def take you down a bad path.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
There's a lot of people in low income black neighborhoods walking around with not just PTSD, but many other undiagnosed psychological and personality disorders that stem from trauma at an early age and that's not even thought about in most mainstream political dialogue.

But hey, they just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, pull up their pants, and stop listening to gangsta rap.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
how about stopped blaming the government & hip-hop 24/7 and blame these black men & black women on not raising their kids right or the fact nikkas shouldn't be havin kids when they can't take care of themselves

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dr Joy theorizes that blacks suffer from post traumatic slave syndrome

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Traumatic_Slave_Syndrome

PTSS is an explanatory theory which posits that centuries of slavery in the United States, followed by systemic and structural racism and oppression, have resulted in multigenerational maladaptive behaviors, which originated as survival strategies. The syndrome continues because children whose parents suffer from PTSS will often be indoctrinated into the same behaviors, long after the behaviors have lost their contextual effectiveness. The author states that PTSS is not a "disorder" that can simply be treated and remedied clinically but rather must necessarily require a profound social and structural change in Americans and American institutions that continue to promote inequalities and injustice. The author holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication, a master's degree in Social Work (MSW), a master's degree in Clinical Psychology, and a Ph.D. in Social Work Research. She teaches social work at Portland State University and gives lectures on PTSS nationally and internationall
I've been spouting this idea for years. I'm glad someone has done research on it and have even given it a label.

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been spouting this idea for years. I'm glad someone has done research on it and have even given it a label.

Same here. I always knew that the current condition of blacks stemmed from slavery, but I didn't know how. I've watched a few of her lectures and she really offers some clarity on these issues

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
All those words don't mean hip hop doesn't have a negative impact tho. :manny:

Depending on what your listening to hip hop can also be positive.

Art is an expression of what the artist lives in society. So if hip hop is negative that means it was born in a negative environment.

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Dr Joy theorizes that blacks suffer from post traumatic slave syndrome

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Traumatic_Slave_Syndrome

PTSS is an explanatory theory which posits that centuries of slavery in the United States, followed by systemic and structural racism and oppression, have resulted in multigenerational maladaptive behaviors, which originated as survival strategies. The syndrome continues because children whose parents suffer from PTSS will often be indoctrinated into the same behaviors, long after the behaviors have lost their contextual effectiveness. The author states that PTSS is not a "disorder" that can simply be treated and remedied clinically but rather must necessarily require a profound social and structural change in Americans and American institutions that continue to promote inequalities and injustice. The author holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication, a master's degree in Social Work (MSW), a master's degree in Clinical Psychology, and a Ph.D. in Social Work Research. She teaches social work at Portland State University and gives lectures on PTSS nationally and internationall

Sad to say this is the truth and one of the core issues of the African American plight.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
All those words don't mean hip hop doesn't have a negative impact tho. :manny:
And this is the problem.
It's so much easier for people to blame hip-hop then when somebody tries to give an in-depth look into the real problems it's written off as
"All those words" :aicmon:

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
@HankHill 5* Thread.

Sadly, we'd rather argue over strawberries and other fruits than give this topic the attention it deserves. But doesn't that give one perspective?

Flash Thunderton

The 4th Migo
Daps
Reppin
ATL
And this is the problem.
It's so much easier for people to blame hip-hop then when somebody tries to give an in-depth look into the real problems it's written off as
"All those words" :aicmon:

I never said OP was wrong or anything else was wrong.

But that doesn't change the statement about hip hop. Why can't they both be true?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I never said OP was wrong or anything else was wrong.

But that doesn't change the statement about hip hop. Why can't they both be true?
They are.
OP never said Hip-hop didn't have a negative impact.
But the fact that you gotta come in and say "But hip-hop still has a negative impact" trivializes his whole point.