Insomniac Announcing New Game Next Week

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Shhhh i'm trying to respectfully disagree since he wasn't a dikk in his response... But I find ALL of it untrue lol.
This that shyt I'm talking about.

Just cause y'all like the game, you don't have to play dumb.

What was factually untrue about what I said?

Does Spider-Man not just go with the R2 button?

In combat do you chose the combo ala Devil May Cry, or does the combo chose you ala Batman/as-screed?

Please explain what I got wrong.

It's one thing to say you enjoy this style of gameplay, but it's another thing entirely to claim that's not what's going on.

I thought you were reasonable too until you started palling around with those clowns @Fagbo1 and @Grandc00nde:martin:

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures

In combat do you chose the combo ala Devil May Cry, or does the combo chose you ala Batman/as-screed?

It's one thing to say you enjoy this style of gameplay, but it's another thing entirely to claim that's not what's going on.

I thought you were reasonable too until you started palling around with those clowns @Fagbo1 and @Grandc00nde:martin:

There is plenty of control in the fame , you can attack enemies many different ways

Why are you commenting on something you haven't played ?

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

lol breh its all light-hearted here. If I hold down R2, i'm not getting very far, man. The web slinging isn't complex, but its not that simple.

In combat, only finishers are playing out with any canned, or locked in animations. Otherwise I feel very much in control and not like it's choosing my combo. I played a lot of DMC and i'm not even sure what you mean. I've got a plethora of moves and I more or less freely move about the the environment using them as I want? I don't feel locked into anything, except the finishing animations. Which I don't mind.

You articulated how you feel well enough, I just don't really agree with much of it at all. I'm not one to say you haven't played the game, but your experience doesn't seem to be mine.

THIS is true:

"Spider-Man is more contextual like assasins creed game where you have a "go" button and the character moves contextually based on the obstical"

But I don't agree at all with the lack of control in combat. Again, outside of finishers.

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's possible i'm just not understanding you? But this is me playing....I don't feel out of control at all, really. Aside from me swinging around and randomly hitting Triangle to target anyone I can find, everything is deliberate to me. And free.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
lol breh its all light-hearted here. If I hold down R2, i'm not getting very far, man. The web slinging isn't complex, but its not that simple.

In combat, only finishers are playing out with any canned, or locked in animations. Otherwise I feel very much in control and not like it's choosing my combo. I played a lot of DMC and i'm not even sure what you mean. I've got a plethora of moves and I more or less freely move about the the environment using them as I want? I don't feel locked into anything, except the finishing animations. Which I don't mind.

You articulated how you feel well enough, I just don't really agree with much of it at all. I'm not one to say you haven't played the game, but your experience doesn't seem to be mine.

THIS is true:

"Spider-Man is more contextual like assasins creed game where you have a "go" button and the character moves contextually based on the obstical"

But I don't agree at all with the lack of control in combat. Again, outside of finishers.

Put it this way.

In DMC you have specific button inputs/timing/directional input that dictates the moves/combos your character will do. You wanna do that cool combo you gotta hit XXAB(just an example) in Spider-Man and games like it you have an attack button a block/dodge button etc. You hit attack/dodge/block and the exact move/animation is chosen contextually on the fly. There's also heavy lock on hat makes it almost impossible to "miss".

As for the swinging the devs themselves described it as a contextual "go" button.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's possible i'm just not understanding you? But this is me playing....I don't feel out of control at all, really. Aside from me swinging around and randomly hitting Triangle to target anyone I can find, everything is deliberate to me. And free.

Yeah.

Now think about DMC. In order to do one of those combos you'd have to lock on, close the space in between you and the enemy manually. Start your combo then hit back/down+attack to hit the enemy in the air, then you have to jump yourself to catch them in the air, then combo them in the air and lastly hit the grab/throw button to throw them to the ground.

In Spider-Man you choose the enemy and hit attack. Spidey does most of the rest for you.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah.

Now think about DMC. In order to do one of those combos you'd have to lock on, close the space in between you and the enemy manually. Start your combo then hit back/down+attack to hit the enemy in the air, then you have to jump yourself to catch them in the air, then combo them in the air and lastly hit the grab/throw button to throw them to the ground.

In Spider-Man you choose the enemy and hit attack. Spidey does most of the rest for you.
Wrong.
You face the enemy, press square to melee, O to dodge(which just dodges if you time it right, not auto counter like Batman) and X to jump, R1 to shoot your webs. Enemies don't wait to attack, they'll all rush you so all the while you're dealing with one enemy, others can shoot rockets at you which you have to dodge in mid combo with circle etc.

I can do a combo with square, square, hold square to launch enemy into air, jump with X to jump up, square square to do a couple of air punches, press R1 a few times to web them up and hold square to do a swinging web kick. I can do that combo every single time.

Triangle is a web strike. You press it to zip to an enemy which does the same attack animation every time. You can hold triangle to disarm foes with guns, and weaker foes you spin them around. You unlock more moves so at the start some of these attacks can't be done.

In Batman, just simple timing the dodge button will result in Batman doing a auto counter attack and the melee does random animations and he just dashes unrealistically to enemies that can be far away while Spider-Man can do so because Spider-Man actually moves like that.

It's not automated. I'll post a video doing the same combo's over and over. I like Batman's combat though it's flashy and has some "Oomph" in it but it's really easy. Spider-Man is way faster and less forgiving and all the moves feel like you're doing them rather than random animations.

Last edited:

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh I SEE what you're saying. I mean I view them as two different styles. DMC, Ninja Gaiden and the like are very much based on varied combo inputs. You memorize those and each does a different thing. And so in battle you're cycling through these different combos. And you prefer that. I see.

Spider-Man is more focused on chaining individual maneuvers and testing your reflexes while you crowd control in hectic battles. Emphasis on reflexes. THAT part is all me. Unlike Batman, I can't really get by on mashing attack and mashing counter. In Spider-Man i'm getting clocked quick.

I think what you end up with here FEELS like Spider-Man, and to me fits him better than a DMC type deal. His basic ground combo and air combo are essentially the same every time. Those are rudimentary. But you can branch off into a whole shyt ton of different maneuvers after or in the middle of that. You're trading multiple button paths for the ability to branch in and out of anything on the fly.

I think the freedom is found there and is robust depending on your creativity. So yeah I get you now. I just think they're two different combat styles. I like both. I think Spider-Man is looser and more freeform. As Fatboi1 said, it's not automated. Everything in my video is deliberate. Well besides getting hit lol. There's controlling space, and advancing and crowd control and freedom. It just functions differently.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Wrong.
You face the enemy, press square to melee, O to dodge(which just dodges if you time it right, not auto counter like Batman) and X to jump, R1 to shoot your webs.

I can do a combo with square, square, hold square to launch enemy into air, jump with X to jump up, square square to do a couple of air punches, press R1 a few times to web them up and hold square to do a swinging web kick.

I can do that combo every single time.

It's not automated.
Again. Is the shyt contextual, or are there specific combos? :comeon:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Yeah.

In Spiderman you can punch, kick, juggle, pull enemies to you, throw enemies, wrap enemies up, throw them to the wall, stick them together, swing enemies around into other enemies, perform perfect dodges which lead to instant kills, build a meter for special attacks which can be comboed, use 3 mod slots to change how your suit functions, have 25 + special abilities that drastically change play style and use them accordingly, there is stealth where you can web strike, or perch sling people up with a nice alarm mechanic which has a counter, and great use of gadgets in stealth.

The enemy variety requires some thought too. Enemies with shields, enemies with machine guns, enemies with sniper rifles, enemies with armor, brute elite enemies, flying enemies, rocket launchers.

There is actually a lot more depth to this games combat as you play through it than it appears, mashin square won't get you far later on.

A typical fight might be, throw spider bomb into a crowd, use concussive web to knock a few normals back, then switch to regular webs and stick them to the ground, guy with electric baton runs in so you have to hold square to launch him or he will block it, launch him with a few punches but get the indicator a rocket is about to hit you mid air, hit a perfect dodge then grab the rocket out of the air and throw it at the guy you had launched, then web for an instant kill on the rocket launcher guy because of the perfect dodge. By now the focus meter is full so we can instant kill attack 2 normals if we chain it right, now 2 brutes pull up and two trucks with rotating machine guns. Use regular webs to tie up a brute, since punching him normally doesn't hurt. He will take some damage and break free. Managing when to do this with brutes while you crowd control can be difficult. Throw down the energy bomb gadget to send the surrounding baddies airborne.Wrap up a brute grab him and throw tapping triangle to build momentum. Pull a scaffolding over on the snipers, rip the rotating machine gun off the other truck and throw it at the crowd. Rip the gun out of the next guys hand and throw it at his friends face. What now flying guys with machine guns are here?

I'll stop here but you get the point. Everything there required planning and timing and execution. I would've died 10 seconds into that fight mashin square as machine guns and rockets and enemies piled on top of me. There are so many contextual situations and enemy types they throw at you that it gets pretty deep. I didn't even list all the interactions there either. I never even used one of 25+ specials in this example, left out multiple gadgets and enemy types. All that stuff i described happens in most fights too.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again. Is the shyt contextual, or are there specific combos? :comeon:
Specific. You can launch an enemy(well not the brutes unless you web em up first) and jump up and do the same combo's every time.
At a glance it may look like Batman especially with the spider sense pop up but it feels more in control. To bounce off the wall you gotta press circle and then press square to attack. If it was Batman it'd just do it whenever you're near a wall or something.