Insomniac Announcing New Game Next Week

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Wait, you think the new spider-man game is heavily scripted movie game but love Sunset Overdrive? :russ:

Sunset Overdrive is one of my hidden gems of all time and an amazing superhero game. Spider-Man is an almost refined version of that game, especially with the movement across the city.

You owe it to yourself to play Spider-Man if you liked SO at all.
The traversal seems to be the only thing I'd like about the game. I absolutely hate the Arkahm style combat and stealth(I couldn't even make it through Arkahm Night), and I'm not a fan of games that continually take control from you to watch a cutscene/set piece with QTE prompts.

What I loved most about sunset is that everything is frantic and dynamic, the combat revolves around the traversal, it's almost more of a platformer than anything else. Spider-Man is way too scripted for my liking. Even the swinging priorities animation and automation over player control. In sunset you have to be very active on the sticks in order to traverse the city, bouncing grinding, planing your route it almost turned it into a puzzle platformer the way you moved through the city. In Spider-Man you can pretty much just hold a button and watch Spider-Man go.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is anything I said factually incorrect?:ohhh:

Yes, all of it. The game doesn't 'continually' take controls away from you to watch cutscenes/play QTEs, the combat is more difficult and more hectic than Batman and you can't just 'hold' the button for traversal.

Basically you don't know shyt about the game, because you haven't played the game. :francis:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and a dude stanning FFXV complaining about automated traversal, too many cutscenes/QTEs and garbage combat.:russ:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yes, all of it. The game doesn't 'continually' take controls away from you to watch cutscenes/play QTEs, the combat is more difficult and more hectic than Batman and you can't just 'hold' the button for traversal.

Basically you don't know shyt about the game, because you haven't played the game. :francis:
Don't know why y'all make up lies to defend a game. You like it then you like it.

Swinging is fukking automatic. You hold R2 spidey does his thing. He lets go and re-swings all on his own. Wall runs and vaulting over stuff is automatic, you just hold R2 and he goes.

If you like it then fine, but there's no need in lying about it.

Story missions/bosses are laden with set pieces and QTE.

Again it's clear y'all like this style of game, but I don't understand why you like to pretend the shyt ain't happening.

:comeon:

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's an oversimplification. Yes, if you're falling and hold R2, he's gonna web out to the nearest building. If you hit X while holding he'll jump out and do it again. But if you actually wanna like...control him and get somewhere, it's not really that simple. if you're not using the zip, dive, point launch, the boost upgrade to the point launch, holding circle as you're wall running to cut corners, i'm not even sure where you're going.

Like this isn't Spider-Man 1 for PS2 where if I hold down the button and just swing forward, he's attached to the ceiling and can just "web fly" around the map. I'm thinking constantly while swinging and trying to find the quickest, most efficient and coolest way to traverse. While mining XP through tricks.

There are QTE to play thru dramatic moments in scenes, sure. But I very much feel like i'm fighting the bosses, and enemies for the most part.

I can sorta get why you feel like folks are over glorifying? I LOVE the game, though it does have some flaws. But I definitely think you're just oversimplifying the game and embellishing your perceived gripes.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's an oversimplification. Yes, if you're falling and hold R2, he's gonna web out to the nearest building. If you hit X while holding he'll jump out and do it again. But if you actually wanna like...control him and get somewhere, it's not really that simple. if you're not using the zip, dive, point launch, the boost upgrade to the point launch, holding circle as you're wall running to cut corners, i'm not even sure where you're going.

Like this isn't Spider-Man 1 for PS2 where if I hold down the button and just swing forward, he's attached to the ceiling and can just "web fly" around the map. I'm thinking constantly while swinging and trying to find the quickest, most efficient and coolest way to traverse. While mining XP through tricks.

There are QTE to play thru dramatic moments in scenes, sure. But I very much feel like i'm fighting the bosses, and enemies for the most part.

I can sorta get why you feel like folks are over glorifying? I LOVE the game, though it does have some flaws. But I definitely think you're just oversimplifying the game and embellishing your perceived gripes.
I understand there's some nuance to the swinging, but it was compared to Sunset Overdrive where there is zero automation every move, jump, swing, slide is tied to a timed button press.

Spider-Man is more contextual like assasins creed game where you have a "go" button and the character moves contextually based on the obstical. I understand that you CAN ad some variety in movement just like you can in assasins creed but ultimately you have much less control and in turn challenge in getting your character around.

The rest of the game is also based around this design philosophy. In combat you don't really chose what move/combo to do. You hit a button and spidey chooses it contextually based on where he and the enemies are based. This makes for combat that looks cool and cinematic, but it takes too much control away from the player IMO.

Again. I understand lots of people like this style of play, but I don't. I've been consistent in that. I like to play games in which I have the most control possible. It's why I like sunset overdrive so much. It's one of the only AAA games this gen to put gameplay over cinematics.

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand there's some nuance to the swinging, but it was compared to Sunset Overdrive where there is zero automation every move, jump, swing, slide is tied to a timed button press.

Spider-Man is more contextual like assasins creed game where you have a "go" button and the character moves contextually based on the obstical. I understand that you CAN ad some variety in movement just like you can in assasins creed but ultimately you have much less control and in turn challenge in getting your character around.

The rest of the game is also based around this design philosophy. In combat you don't really chose what move/combo to do. You hit a button and spidey chooses it contextually based on where he and the enemies are based. This makes for combat that looks cool and cinematic, but it takes too much control away from the player IMO.

Again. I understand lots of people like this style of play, but I don't. I've been consistent in that. I like to play games in which I have the most control possible. It's why I like sunset overdrive so much. It's one of the only AAA games this gen to put gameplay over cinematics.

I disagree with most aspects of that, but I see your point. Which was articulated well.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Edit:

no need for long responses.

:mjlol:

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Up and down straight bullshyt. :snoop: