Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny (2023) Thread

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
It premiered at the Cannes film festival breh. Disney was confident in it. We'll see how general critics reacts

Someone else brought up X-Men apocalypse embargo dropping 3 weeks early. Same thing. Deja Vu and PTSD :sadcam:

I remember that, I was hyped when I heard that it was good but then I saw it and was :what: :hhh: :camby: Thinking what the hell was people cheering for they butchered storm

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
What is going on over at Lucasfilm? :dwillhuh:
brian-windhorst.jpg

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Thought this was as decent as an Indiana Jones movie with an 80 year old Harrison Ford could be.

This was without a doubt the most blunt entry in the franchise, which kinda made sense thematically with where he’s at in this time of life. I dug the fact it had no problems showcasing Indy’s vulnerability as the broken old man. Made the moments where he gradually recovers his sense of adventure throughout feel more rewarding.

Helena, Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s character, annoyed me at times but I do commend Mangold for not having her be the cliche damsel in distress in these type of films. Thought she proved more than capable while tagging along for the adventure, better than Shia’s character in Crystal Skull. I can already see this being a widely divisive topic though.

That CGI in the opening act…woof. Uncanny valley effect to the max. Could’ve done fine with it if it was for a short period of time, but the movie leans into it for what felt like 20+ minutes. Meh.

The ending could’ve been better. Mikkelsen goes out in what I thought was a whimper and Indy has a marriage problem that suddenly goes poof in the climax to please the longtime fans. I don’t have a problem at all with him getting back with Marion, but this felt mad rushed.

For all of its flaws, I don’t think Ford was one of them. I actually feel a little bit better now with him taking over as Thunderbolt Ross and his um, expanded role in the MCU. I see the box office tracking ain’t looking too hot for this and think it could’ve pulled in way more money around the time The Force Awakens dropped.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Its alright:yeshrug:
It will slide right into the Indy marathons no problem.
Indy too old for this shyt though and it shows.
I thought the de-aging was alright for the most part but some of the other CGI like him running on top of the train at the beginning was bad.
Its strange that these movies still feel after all these years that we need to add a kid in the mix in order to bridge them to the 3rd act:childplease:
Them killing off Mutt (Shia) was dirty:mjlol:
There is really no explanation on how the Dial works and they didn't even bother showing how they got back to 1969 because they couldn't even make movie sense out of it :heh:
I thought this movie would be Indy going back in time multiple times with them trying to catch Mads but it ending up only being one time at the end and I don't think it was that compelling.
This was filmed before the Short Round comeback but I think him showing up would have helped.
Short Round should have been the Antonio Banderas character, I'm not sure why Antonio took this job other than he needed a new yacht.
I wonder how they cleared Indy of murder after he comes back because they didn't really do anything to prove he didn't unless his old connections in the government just yadda yadda it.

Last edited:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
i just got back. I thought it was about a 6/10. Not great. That 2nd act almost had me slumped. They could have trimmed this movie down some. I think they tapped into that Indiana Jones/Da Vinci Code/National Treasure vibe pretty good. So you are gonna get that. Mads was a decent villian, but they were doing this goofy shyt with him where he somehow like 3 steps ahead of the good guys, but also 2 steps behind.

But yeah i could see this getting panned by critics because it wasn't bad but it's just kind of there.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
It's not your standard summer blockbuster fare but it's a James Mangold film, I liked it and will be buying the 4K blu ray

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
This might be worse than crystal skull

time fukking travel :childplease: ....and I love time travel!!! But here...what in the flying fukk was this?

I was hoping it was a fever dream after he got shot...and I wanna believe it was just indy going delirious with how shytty/quick they resolve it

And the beginning with young cgi indy was distracting

During the ocean dive someone in my theater yelled oceangate...:mjlol: