In poor earnings report Coinbase announces it will seize users' crypto if it goes bankrupt

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Coinbase warns users could lose their crypto holdings if the company goes bankrupt

Coinbase, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges, said its users might lose access to their holdings if the company ever went bankrupt.

The disclosure was included in the company's first-quarter earnings report, and that was the first time the risk factor was mentioned. It also noted that Coinbase held $256 billion in fiat currencies and virtual coins.

"Because custodially held crypto assets may be considered to be the property of a bankruptcy estate, in the event of a bankruptcy, the crypto assets we hold in custody on behalf of our customers could be subject to bankruptcy proceedings and such customers could be treated as our general unsecured creditors," the company said.

That means users would lose access to their balances because they would become Coinbase's property.

It's a different scenario from traditional investments. Many bank accounts, including checking and savings, are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. for up to $250,000 per account if the bank goes under, while the Securities Investor Protection Corp. helps if a broker or dealer goes bankrupt.

Following the earnings report, which sent the company's stock plummeting more than 23%, Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong said there's no risk of bankruptcy right now.

On Twitter Tuesday night, he attempted to reassure users that their funds were safe and apologized for not being more forthright with communicating this risk when it was added. He said the company included the disclosure because of rules recently set by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

:mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I should have known something was up with coinbase. They've been spamming me with emails lately, trying to get me to buy more crypto.

Shiba Inu got hit with a fukking bloodbath today too. It's a struggle out there.

death around the corner for this crypto shyt

:blessed:

I don't think it will "die" because some crypto has a degree of utility (the fraction of NFT market that's actually legit, DeFi, laundering illegal funds, etc.) and there's a sucker born every minute. Just look at all the MLM scams that still survive despite their scamminess and bad results being well-known. Nutralife got hit with a $200 million judgment by the FTC in 2016 for scamming people and they're still going strong.

But I do think the market for crypto is going to constrict. Outside of the fringe that finds utility in it, the crypto world is going to become mostly scammers and obvious suckers. Regular people who are just trying to make a good investment with their money are going to steer clear.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
death around the corner for this crypto shyt

:blessed:
No crypto is still in the growing pains phase of its existence.

Also it's disingenuous to make it sound like this is a shady play by the company. It says right in the article that because they are not insured like banks their assets including our holding would be going to creditors. Pretty straight forward and transparent.

Now we know to either keep a diligent eye on the company as users or try and get a push for protection of consumer invested money especially if the government is going to tax crypto earnings then there's a case to be made that it has to have the same protections as money in the bank. That might come with some higher trading fees to pay for the insurance.

Let's stop prematurely declaring the death of crypto. Web didn't die when the Dotcom bubble burst. Speculative periods are part of the process until shyt settles up gradually in most new avenues.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
What private wallets should I go with? I went with Coinbase because it was simple but because of this I'm out.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
No crypto is still in the growing pains phase of its existence.

Also it's disingenuous to make it sound like this is a shady play by the company. It says right in the article that because they are not insured like banks their assets including our holding would be going to creditors. Pretty straight forward and transparent.

Now we know to either keep a diligent eye on the company as users or try and get a push for protection of consumer invested money especially if the government is going to tax crypto earnings then there's a case to be made that it has to have the same protections as money in the bank. That might come with some higher trading fees to pay for the insurance.

Let's stop prematurely declaring the death of crypto. Web didn't die when the Dotcom bubble burst. Speculative periods are part of the process until shyt settles up gradually in most new avenues.

The problem with that logic is whenever someone said Crypto wasn't backed by anything, the counterattack was the dollar isn't backed by anything.

The dollar is federally regulated and backed by the faith and security of US government. Crypto is one step above an MLM. Too many people focused on the currency and not the technology...that's where the longterm stable money is.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

First off, it's a massive weakness of crypto as opposed to banks and it's due directly to the lack of regulation that crypto fans love so much.

Secondly, they were shady about it because they've certainly known this the entire time, but they're only now disclosing it because new regulations force them to. That's not "straightforward and transparent", it's literally just doing shyt because they're forced to. And it's not like they even told their users in a clear direct message, they buried it in an earnings report that 99% of the consumer base would never have read if media didn't find it and report on it.

The government backs banks because their continuity is essential to the economy, why the hell would they extend the same guarantee to crypto? It's not like the government is backing any other random private companies just because they tax them. They'd happily watch crypto markets fail.

I agree that it's not the "death" of crypto, as I pointed out earlier.

But it should soon be the death of regular people thinking these speculative bubbles are anything but a ponzi scheme.

Yeah, the internet didn't die when the dot-com bubble burst, but a hell of a lot of companies did die for good. And the bubble proved to be completely fake - that four-year spurt of venture capital funding has never been replicated in the 20 years since, it was a total mistake.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
First off, it's a massive weakness of crypto as opposed to banks and it's due directly to the lack of regulation that crypto fans love so much.

Secondly, they were shady about it because they've certainly known this the entire time, but they're only now disclosing it because new regulations force them to. That's not "straightforward and transparent", it's literally just doing shyt because they're forced to. And it's not like they even told their users in a clear direct message, they buried it in an earnings report that 99% of the consumer base would never have read if media didn't find it and report on it.

The government backs banks because their continuity is essential to the economy, why the hell would they extend the same guarantee to crypto? It's not like the government is backing any other random private companies just because they tax them. They'd happily watch crypto markets fail.

I agree that it's not the "death" of crypto, as I pointed out earlier.

But it should soon be the death of regular people thinking these speculative bubbles are anything but a ponzi scheme.

Yeah, the internet didn't die when the dot-com bubble burst, but a hell of a lot of companies did die for good. And the bubble proved to be completely fake - that four-year spurt of venture capital funding has never been replicated in the 20 years since, it was a total mistake.
Wouldn't completely say was never replicated. The startup era has had a lot of companies that go years floating by selling investors dreams. It's not as wild or short of a period but very reminiscent to me.