I'm not from Detroit, Europe or a Homosexual... why should I care about House music?

Daps
Here is an article that touches more on it:

Knuckles:

Enter: Ron Hardy

Most of these Disco + drum machine + 808s edits that Frankie and Hardy were doing live weren't recorded or official releases but the musical stew they created, gave the first House RECORD pioneers a style to run with, which is how it got stripped down

I found the full version of the documentary

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Nah, the birthplace and mecca of House is and always has been Chicago. However, both Baltimore and the DMV got very vibrant House communities. It be a House festival/event every year in Bmore, DC, and PG County, especially during the summer.

The greatest contributions to House music from both areas have been:

Club music, DJ Frank Ski, K-Swift, The Basement Boys, Doo Doo Brown, and certain dances (Baltimore)

Moombahton, Thievery Corporation & 18th Street Lounge (RIP), Crystal Waters, Doug Lazy, and the Capital House Fest (DMV)
And side note..

:ufdup:

Yall gotta stop leaving NY House out the mix.

Larry Levan with Paradise Garage

Even NJ with Club Zanzibar

Agree with both, and I thought I replied to this when the thread was active.
To me this "debate" mirrors the faux debate about the origins of hip hop.

Chicago, a specific venue, a number of djs, artists, and club goers birthed House Music.
Were other cities playing dance music, making records, etc? SURE! But the genre and scene grew out of what was happening in Chicago.

Same thing with the origin, djs, mobile parties, and b-boys who birthed hip hop. The genre and scene grew out of the Bronx.

Anybody disputing that in 2022 sounds like the dudes claiming other cities created house music.

============================
@SNYC

Good call about Levan. He and Frankie Knuckles were at the forefront of the dance music scene in NY, before Knuckles moved to Chicago and began spinning at the Warehouse.

Zanzibar and Club 88 were the dance scene hubs for NJ in that era.