I'm amazed society has no way to fix HOMELESSNESS

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They can they just don't want to. All it takes is putting funds in social services.
Interesting. I kind of agree on the social services section, but weren't there still homeless people before the 80s and Reaganomics, when US divested from social funding?:patrice:

I remember one of my old high school teachers saying that even after FDR and his many social programs there were still somehow tent cities all the way up until WW2. Is there more to this issue than just the services? Or would there be a specific type of service that works better?:jbhmm:

Yes there are buildings around that act like homeless shelters but I believe they are for homeless families. The single people have regular in door shelters as well. I only know this because my homegirls sister lived in one before she got an apartment in public housing.

But yea making buildings reserved for homeless families is a good way to get some off the street but good luck because the residents in the community are going to protest about it.
Once again, I'm learning a lot here. :salute:

One more question for you. Since you are actually on the ground out there, do the families living in these buildings eventually get out and do better for themselves or do they remain in these buildings long term? :lupe:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Nobody wants to be homeless. Anybody saying that is lying.

I was homeless in 2015. That shyt sucked. WHo wants that life? Not knowing where you're sleeping at night? Wasting hours of the day bouncing around from burger king to mcdonalds to the park to the coffee shop to whatever bar I could hang out in from 9 to 4 in the morning cause I had nowhere to stay with my backpack on my back? sleeping on the roofs of apartment buildings that you could get into? trying to get stuff for free or next to nothing cause you had no money? Having to pawn your laptop so you could have money to have a place to stay? Making enough money to get that back to find work on to get money to financec an apartment?

Some of y'all think everybody that's homeless is some druggie or mental inefficient...most of the homeless people I met in NYC were people that got kicked out from a living situation that ended up homeless after they lost a job...

This let's me know that Americans really don't know what adversity is....do you think ANYBODY is passing up having a roof over their head? Especially in the rain or snow?
:gucci:

Nah I get what he’s saying Tho. There are many people who are homeless who are given places to say but still are on the streets.

Now as far as the shelters go where you have to share rooms and sh*t I can understand someone wanting to be in the street. These shelters are filled with crooks and nikkas with mental illness.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Only so much money to go around.
And believe it or not a lot of homeless people like being homeless
This is real shyt. Some people just prefer to live on the street. Plus there’s so many with mental and/or drug problems that there’s not really much you can do about some of them. Some of them woulda been in mental institutions in the past but the country got rid of a lot of them

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Only so much money to go around.
And believe it or not a lot of homeless people like being homeless
Well, that's clearly an abnormal mindset, is it not?

Is there a way to give them a normal mindset, and would this mindset give them a 180° turn on life? :jbhmm:

I'm wondering if we would have to share our motivation like a blood transfusion.:francis:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

I was homeless in 2015. That shyt sucked. WHo wants that life? Not knowing where you're sleeping at night? Wasting hours of the day bouncing around from burger king to mcdonalds to the park to the coffee shop to whatever bar I could hang out in from 9 to 4 in the morning cause I had nowhere to stay with my backpack on my back? sleeping on the roofs of apartment buildings that you could get into? trying to get stuff for free or next to nothing cause you had no money? Having to pawn your laptop so you could have money to have a place to stay? Making enough money to get that back to find work on to get money to financec an apartment?

Some of y'all think everybody that's homeless is some druggie or mental inefficient...most of the homeless people I met in NYC were people that got kicked out from a living situation that ended up homeless after they lost a job...

This let's me know that Americans really don't know what adversity is....do you think ANYBODY is passing up having a roof over their head? Especially in the rain or snow?
The difference is you don’t have a mental disability

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
In America, it's just easier to avoid people's problems and blame them for it instead of blaming the system and the society they are living in for being quintessentially broken.:manny:Cause if you ain't doing bad...and somebody else is...why should you give a flying fukk?

I got mine...right?

Somebody's broke and struggling? Get a better education and your skillset up. Get a better job. Make more money.
Somebody's homeless? They want to be homeless. Sell your laptop and computer (how are you going to communicate with anybody to get a job and more money to not be homeless?)
A woman got raped? She shouldn't of worn that outfit and shouldn't of done that thing...
A black person got brutalized or killed by police? Should of complied with that officer.
:sas2::mjpls:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Interesting. I kind of agree on the social services section, but weren't there still homeless people before the 80s and Reaganomics, when US divested from social funding?:patrice:

I remember one of my old high school teachers saying that even after FDR and his many social programs there were still somehow tent cities all the way up until WW2. Is there more to this issue than just the services? Or would there be a specific type of service that works better?:jbhmm:

Once again, I'm learning a lot here. :salute:

One more question for you. Since you are actually on the ground out there, do the families living in these buildings eventually get out and do better for themselves or do they remain in these buildings long term? :lupe:

I don’t have any sources but it all depends on the Individual. My homegirl is working and does a side hustle in making clothes.

Her biggest issue though was not having her priorities in order and getting into the most dumbest legal issues.

I’ve trained her a lot but she’s the type that will def choose a party over paying her rent on time but slowly she’s getting the picture.

To me the worst tenants are the ones who apply for the one shot deal. These tenants seem to never change their ways because HRA will cover them. HRA doesn’t even take the money back half the time even though the rental assistance is technically a loan.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
More affordable housing for the working America would cut that shyt out dramatically. A person working 40 hours should at least find a place easily even if it's shyt, not to mention if they do overtime. It's a lot of people out there fulltime and homeless. Once people become deranged and lose there mind there is NOTHING you can do for a lot of those people, they can't stay by themselves and will always end up back in the street. We should focus less on solving homelessness because people will always end up homeless, but instead on preventing it in the first place.

But idk, I've only couch surfed for like 3 months.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC

Bruh it's people who like the freedom.
I talked to many homeless cats who told me they like not being tied down to anything. They living the life of 0 responsibility, they can wander and don't have to answer to anybody, play by their own rules.
And I was like I get it :ehh:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I don't think the problem is giving these people sufficient shelter, they can actually make little 3-D printed homes now

but then there's the issue of keeping the lights on, the plumbing, the utilities...who's footing that bill? taxpayers? will it just be free for them?:jbhmm:

Some will say all of that's fine, others will say it's not - that's what makes the issue complex.

also i'm at the age where i'm starting to see some of my classmates underneath the bridges downtown

pretty much all of them were in the special needs classes, not making fun but they just were :hubie:

cities run out of room for people w/mental issues and just toss em on the streets (so do their families), this keeps the problem going too