I'll name this offseason thread later: The NBA 2019 Offseason/Free Agency Thread

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's really about the Olympics. Look at the 98 Fiba WC team

a092fd76ac9043e7abef936bc3c9ab80.ashx

Only dude I recognized was Brad Miller lol

THIRTEENTH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP -- 1998

WC is only followed by die-hard basketball fans anyway, it's in the Olympics where you get much more media attention, obviously. That being said the game has already blown up internationally, having top US players participate won't move the needle that much anymore imo. What can do that is having the top international NBA players play with their national teams, I think Giannis will be playing for Greece this competition.

A lot of context missing from that photo.

That was when the lockout was going on and NBA players weren’t allowed to participate in FIBA regardless of country.

And no, it would not be fair or entertaining at all. You’d rather see Giannis play against G-Leaguers or college players than play against NBA guys :dahell:

And America isn’t unbeatable anyway. Back in 2016 they needed Melo to go crazy just beat a Patty Mills led Australia team. Came down to the final buzzer to beat Serbia. And that was with KD, Kyrie, PG, Klay, etc.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Kawhi saying he hasn’t played with an elite player till Paul George. Espn interview deleted it asap
Wonder how many people and companies are on the Ballmer positive PR payroll. Media suddenly riding the Clippers heavy as if they've ever been anything but a garbage fire for 95% of their existence. :heh:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
I like saying PG aint do nothing wrong to piss off the various fanbases he's fukked over, but dude really is a herb

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps

:mjlol:

It's really about the Olympics. Look at the 98 Fiba WC team

a092fd76ac9043e7abef936bc3c9ab80.ashx

Only dude I recognized was Brad Miller lol

THIRTEENTH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP -- 1998

WC is only followed by die-hard basketball fans anyway, it's in the Olympics where you get much more media attention, obviously. That being said the game has already blown up internationally, having top US players participate won't move the needle that much anymore imo. What can do that is having the top international NBA players play with their national teams, I think Giannis will be playing for Greece this competition.
Fiba wants to kill Olympic bball by making it u-23 and have the world cup be the marquee event

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
A lot of context missing from that photo.

That was when the lockout was going on and NBA players weren’t allowed to participate in FIBA regardless of country.

And no, it would not be fair or entertaining at all. You’d rather see Giannis play against G-Leaguers or college players than play against NBA guys :dahell:

And America isn’t unbeatable anyway. Back in 2016 they needed Melo to go crazy just beat a Patty Mills led Australia team. Came down to the final buzzer to beat Serbia. And that was with KD, Kyrie, PG, Klay, etc.

I answered this to the breh that said that top NBA players were needed for the game to "blow up" internationally, and for who it seemed that not sending top NBA talent was bad for the game or whatever. The game has "blown" up" internationally a long time ago, that's no longer an issue.

And personally I don't watch WC or Olympic basketball only for the US team, so Giannis would still be going against top Spanish, Serbian, Slovenian etc...players. So if top american players don't want to play, I'll enjoy the rest of the teams :yeshrug: I already see american players all year in the NBA anyway.

We know the US isn't unbeatable, but that wasn't breh's point.