Igbo influence in Black American culture

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Come to think of it, even the food part doesn't even have a direct Igbo connection cuz a lot of cultures in the West African region kinda have similar foods.

By the way isn't potato from Europe? I would assume mashed potatoes came from there.
If I’m not mistaken the potato is an American plant that they brought over to Europe and genetically modified to feed the poor masses. That’s why Ireland got fukked when the blight happened and their population due to famine and emigration has never been higher than it was in 1850.

check out the books 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann to see more about all the items that were traded in the triangle trade. Before they started importing guano (bird shyt) from South America, they used dead people as a source of fertilizer in Europe

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It does make you think, out of all of the diaspora, African Americans rarely acknowledge the African influence.

Just like the Banjo. They take credit for it, but never talk about it's African roots. :russ:
Westernized black people in general are ashamed to have any relation to Africa. Folks will cap and front but it is true. You had a lil wave in the 90’s when folks were on that mother africa wave heavy, but apart from that there is a sense of shame. I don’t even care about that honestly my issue is how negros always seem to be in competition with one another. I think it’s psychological. We can’t compete on the same playing field as the white man (with everything besides entertainment) so, we gotta compete and pull the other man down. It’s the “H.N.I.C” mentality, “crabs in a barrel” they call it.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Westernized black people in general are ashamed to have any relation to Africa. Folks will cap and front but it is true. You had a lil wave in the 90’s when folks were on that mother africa wave heavy, but apart from that there is a sense of shame. I don’t even care about that honestly my issue is how negros always seem to be in competition with one another. I think it’s psychological. We can’t compete on the same playing field as the white man (with everything besides entertainment) so, we gotta compete and pull the other man down. It’s the “H.N.I.C” mentality, “crabs in a barrel” they call it.
I think that they have medication for that.
It's like this thread a few weeks ago about the history of BBQing. They just rarely acknowledge their influences to the point you would think they birthed themselves.
Did black people invent American BBQ?

Just noticing now. Even look how Samori is up in there showing his ass. Which further proves my point.:russ:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
This. Many Black Americans dont appreciate being associated with african cultures. This will likely ruffle alot of feathers here.

That’s nonsense. We love Africa so much that we romanticize it only to go there and realize a large majority of the people are self-hating tribalistic fair skinned white Jesus loving c00ns. Won’t let at Black American get citizenship but will make a Chinese slave driver tribal chief. The dysfunction is on all sides which is why we are a conquered people.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
That’s nonsense. We love Africa so much that we romanticize it only to go there and realize a large majority of the people are self-hating tribalistic fair skinned white Jesus loving c00ns. Won’t let at Black American get citizenship but will make a Chinese slave driver tribal chief. The dysfunction is on all sides which is why we are a conquered people.
this sounds like anti-african hotep c00n babble

Kwéyòl

Moon walking seeing moon people
Daps
Reppin
St.Lucia,Dominica n St.Croix
Ghana was literally giving out citizenships to the whole diaspora in 2019

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
this sounds like anti-african hotep c00n babble

but it’s not…you would have a point if there were more people like Julius Malema but there are not. We are conquered globally…are resources are being extracted to make China and Europe (including USA) rich while we starve and live in filth and instead fighting for what’s ours…a lot of us run to land of the third to get a piece of the profits made off the resources of ours that were stolen. shyt is fukked up…and we as African people as a whole are so fukking stupid that we sell each other out left and right. If we all unite we all eat but people would rather sell us out just to make sure they get a plate for themselves. For every Lumumba there are 5 Mobutu’s abd until we have a real conversation about that and be ready to ride on Mobutu type nikkas, nothing will change.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
but it’s not…you would have a point if there were more people like Julius Malema but there are not. We are conquered globally…are resources are being extracted to make China and Europe (including USA) rich while we starve and live in filth and instead fighting for what’s ours…a lot of us run to land of the third to get a piece of the profits made off the resources of ours that were stolen. shyt is fukked up…and we as African people as a whole are so fukking stupid that we sell each other out left and right. If we all unite we all eat but people would rather sell us out just to make sure they get a plate for themselves. For every Lumumba there are 5 Mobutu’s abd until we have a real conversation about that and be ready to ride on Mobutu type nikkas, nothing will change.
so besides babbling online, what are you doing to unify people and effect change?

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
lol come on man. it's not just igbo influence. the entire western part of africa was victim of slavery. that's hundreds of traditions and cultures.
from burkina faso to sierra leone, there are a shyt ton of descendants today that can finally get their cultural heritage back if they choose. what was created outside of africa is unique and we should respect that. mashed potatoes are not no gat damn pounded yam. the process is different, the consistency is different, the taste, it's all distinct. aframs are aframs and igbos are naija. lets just appreciate what we have and how far we've come

invalid

Banned
Daps
You are making another equally dumb ass statement after writing that some poster made a dumb ass statement. Black people brought rice growing to America and they brought a lot of rice dishes with them like Jambalaya and Hoppin John.

Finding a Lost Strain of Rice, and Clues to Slave Cooking
Finding a Lost Strain of Rice, and Clues to Slave Cooking (Published 2018)

Hoppin’ John and How African Slaves Influenced Bean-and-Rice Culture

Hoppin’ John and How African Slaves Influenced Bean-and-Rice Culture

Bro, I’m not some regular poster. I know black slaves bought rice over from Africa. ‘We’ means me and my family. It was in response to the other posters “both sides of my family”. Anyway, we’ve already had this discussion in the High on the Hog thread.

Last edited: