If you bought digital games on the Russian PSN or Xbox store, did you lose access to all your games?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If my account gets banned I am instantly locked out of any game I don't already have downloaded on hardware at that moment. If my house burns down I lose any games that were destroyed inside. It's literally just different tradeoffs. One set of flaws for another. Has nothing to do with ignorance.
If your house burns down you loses access to discs but if they were digital you could re-download

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What if the servers go offline?
As long as you maintain a copy of your digital library you can always access the games. What you'd have to do is keep a copy or several copies of these games on hard drives so that you can have them pass the point the servers go down. At that point they're semi-physical games because no servers and no hard drive means games are gone.

Never mind this flies in the face of the whole argument of digital games. Console digital games are mostly about short to medium term convenience. On the PC digital games are a different story.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
hmm…this discussion has led to a good argument for me buying drives to backup my games

plus in the long run it’d be easier to just move/copy a game onto the console than to download it when I’m ready to play it

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:
There's no reason to have disc. They can shut down with a disc once you connect to the internet.. Try this out.. Buy a game with a disc, violate the terms of service and see if you can still play the game because you have a disc. Almost all games require internet connection.

the whole “discs are more convenient” argument died once you had to start downloading shyt anyway to still play the discs :russ:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Storage and maintenance cost money. Physical space to hold hundreds of discs costs more than digital space.
Can we get some volunteers? How much is anyone paying explicitly to store your physical games?

I'll start. I keep a roof over my head and under that roof I store my physical possessions. I have hundreds of physical games I do not explicitly pay anything extra to store them in my living space. I have games I bought when I was a teenager and I'm 39 now. I have games you can no longer buy without paying exorbitant prices for. The space they take up doesn't impact me.

In comparison the amount of terabytes I'd need to store my entire digital collection would be prohibitively expensive and it would be incredibly tedious to come up with a system of what games were on what hard drives. I'd also likely need to go SSD because storing them on conventional hard drives could possibly introduce a point of failure as hard drives even when not in use don't last too long and the data on them can corrupt close to the end.

So Meach do you want to detail your system for how you back up all your digital games and how much all the storage space combined cost you or will you just tell me you let a corporation handle the storage for you and Que Será, Será if they decide to pull the plug on your access to them? Or you could just stop making disingenuous arguments and concede that yes physical games have their place and people have valid reasons to find their ownership desirable. Not ignorance.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Can we get some volunteers? How much is anyone paying explicitly to store your physical games?

I'll start. I keep a roof over my head and under that roof I store my physical possessions. I have hundreds of physical games I do not explicitly pay anything extra to store them in my living space. I have games I bought when I was a teenager and I'm 39 now. I have games you can no longer buy without paying exorbitant prices for. The space they take up doesn't impact me.
Space cost money. For lots of people physical space comes at a premium. Especially in 2022.

as you said, have empathy for others situations:mjpls:

Even though you might not feel it directly. You are currently paying for the space to hold your games. You are even paying tax on that space.

In comparison the amount of terabytes I'd need to store my entire digital collection would be prohibitively expensive and it would be incredibly tedious to come up with a system of what games were on what hard drives. I'd also likely need to go SSD because storing them on conventional hard drives could possibly introduce a point of failure as hard drives even when not in use don't last too long and the data on them can corrupt close to the end.
Digital space is cheaper than physical space. That’s a fact.

And discs deteriorate over time as well.

In the case of digital games at least you should have the ability to re-download them.

So Meach do you want to detail your system for how you back up all your digital games and how much all the storage space combined cost you or will you just tell me you let a corporation handle the storage for you and Que Será, Será if they decide to pull the plug on your access to them? Or you could just stop making disingenuous arguments and concede that yes physical games have their place and people have valid reasons to find their ownership desirable. Not ignorance.
I don’t,

I don’t subscribe to the doomsday nonsense that one day servers are just gonna shut off.

Im confident that I will be able re-download my games well into the future. If a time arises where I feel that’s not the case anymore I know I have the option to preserve my games physically.

There’s nothing disingenuous about that.

Last edited: