If you bought digital games on the Russian PSN or Xbox store, did you lose access to all your games?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nah and I say this as a person that's mostly digital. There are plenty of reasons to buy physical games. Don't confuse your desire to trade your control over your ownership for the convenience of not having to put a disc in the drive to ignorance.

This is the ignorance I’m talking about. You are not “trading your ownership” of anything.

You own and have rights with digital licenses just like you do with physical.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is the ignorance I’m talking about. You are not “trading your ownership” of anything.

You own and have rights with digital licenses just like you do with physical.
The reality is when the disc is the method of distribution you have the ability to do more with it than you can with something tied to an account in a closed digital marketplace. The EULA might be the same. They might say you don't own the game just a license but the method of distribution is completely detached from their closed digital marketplace and in my possession. I can transfer that license as I see fit for monetary compensation or a trade for a different game and I don't have to compromise my account to do it.

You are simply eager to trade your control over to a company for the convenience of not having to swap a disc. That's fine but can you not attack the people who aren't interested in making that same bargain by calling them ignorant? They aren't they just see the world different than you and value the control physical games afford them.

People really need to learn to see past their own perspective and opinions. It's the basis of empathy.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The reality is when the disc is the method of distribution you have the ability to do more with it than you can with something tied to an account in a closed digital marketplace. The EULA might be the same. They might say you don't own the game just a license but the method of distribution is completely detached from their closed digital marketplace and in my possession. I can transfer that license as I see fit for monetary compensation or a trade for a different game and I don't have to compromise my account to do it.

You are simply eager to trade your control over to a company for the convenience of not having to swap a disc. That's fine but can you not attack the people who aren't interested in making that same bargain by calling them ignorant? They aren't they just see the world different than you and value the control physical games afford them.

People really need to learn to see past their own perspective and opinions. It's the basis of empathy.
I didn’t attack anyone.

Saying someone is ignorant to something isn’t an attack.

Anyway the bolded is not true either.

you can do “more” with a digital license. Only thing you can’t do is sell it. But the way you can share, maintain, and access a digital license gives you more flexibility than a disc.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ:
B b b b but who wants to have discs in 2022
:mjlol:
There's no reason to have disc. They can shut down with a disc once you connect to the internet.. Try this out.. Buy a game with a disc, violate the terms of service and see if you can still play the game because you have a disc. Almost all games require internet connection.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I didn’t attack anyone.

Saying someone is ignorant to something isn’t an attack.

Anyway the bolded is not true either.

you can do “more” with a digital license. Only thing you can’t do is sell it. But the way you can share, maintain, and access a digital license gives you more flexibility than a disc.
It is when you're calling them that not due to their lack of knowledge on an issue but because you see things differently. Again if I want to share a disc I simply hand off the disc. If I want to share my digital license I have to hand off my password and account access possibly putting that account at risk.

If I want to take my game over a friend's house and play and it's a physical game I grab the disc and go. If I want to do that digitally I'm logging into my account on someone else's hardware and likely downloading a game.

Just because you look at the tradeoffs and come down on a given side of it doesn't make the people that don't ignorant.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It is when you're calling them that not due to their lack of knowledge on an issue but because you see things differently.
The thread is literally a guy asking a question cause he was ignorant to how digital licensing works.

It’s not about how I “see thing”

Again if I want to share a disc I simply hand off the disc. If I want to share my digital license I have to hand off my password and account access possibly putting that account at risk.
No you don’t, you can just hand over a hard dive just like you could a disc. Or you can go over to the persons place and download the game yourself, and you don’t have to give up your password.

If I want to take my game over a friend's house and play and it's a physical game I grab the disc and go. If I want to do that digitally I'm logging into my account on someone else's hardware and likely downloading a game.
Or you can just take your hard drive with you.

Just because you look at the tradeoffs and come down on a given side of it doesn't make the people that don't ignorant.
No. People are ignorant to how digital licenses work. Which is why we have this thread and others like it.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
The thread is literally a guy asking a question cause he was ignorant to how digital licensing works.

No you don’t, you can just hand over a hard dive just like you could a disc. Or you can go over to the persons place and download the game yourself, and you don’t have to give up your password.

No. People are ignorant to how digital licenses work. Which is why we have this thread and others like it.
nikka I'm not ignorant of how digital licensing works, I was merely wondering whether PSN and Xbox shuttering in Russia meant the servers went offline, in which case it wouldn't matter whether or not you had a digital endowment because there'd be nowhere to download it from

I'm not saying their licenses were revoked, just wondering if they can still access them

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not saying their licenses were revoked, just wondering if they can still access them
You can ALWAYS access them. Don’t matter what happens to the store.

Your question came from a place of misunderstanding.

There’s literally no scenario where your digital games can be rendered “non accessible”

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They can't play the game because you handed them a hard drive with it on there. They need your account's permission either by you logging in to it on their hardware or by you using methods like setting their console up as your home console.
Except my Series X hard drive is built into the console. BRB spending money on an accessory I don't really need so I can move games around just to not appear ignorant.

Except you said ignorance is the main reason most are hanging on to disc. I presented arguments beyond ignorance why people would want to have a physical disc so yeah that's how you see it. It's you looking at the tradeoffs coming down on one side of it then calling people who see if differently as ignorant because they don't share your preference.

If my account gets banned I am instantly locked out of any game I don't already have downloaded on hardware at that moment. If my house burns down I lose any games that were destroyed inside. It's literally just different tradeoffs. One set of flaws for another. Has nothing to do with ignorance.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
You can ALWAYS access them. Don’t matter what happens to the store.

Your question came from a place of misunderstanding.

There’s literally no scenario where your digital games can be rendered “non accessible”
What if the servers go offline?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Except you said ignorance is the main reason most are hanging on to disc.
It is because they usually say stuff like.

“they will prevent me from accessing my games”

Or

“You are giving up ownership of you go digital”

Or

“you can’t share digital games”

Or

“when the servers go down you can’t even pay your games”

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They can't play the game because you handed them a hard drive with it on there. They need your account's permission either by you logging in to it on their hardware or by you using methods like setting their console up as your home console.
No you can have the hard drive set up to just work no password needed.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Except my Series X hard drive is built into the console. BRB spending money on an accessory I don't really need so I can move games around just to not appear ignorant.
Storage and maintenance cost money. Physical space to hold hundreds of discs costs more than digital space.