If the Street Fighter series wants to survive should it go back to 2D???

If the Street Fighter series wants to survive should it go back to 2D???

• Yes it definitely should!!

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No!! 2D is a thing of the past

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

This has more to do with the long lifespan of the game tbh and the fact that gaming has changed a lot since back then, digital gaming probably has created a lot of re-purchases.

Like for me I've bought SF5 like 3 times already basically. Bought it for PS4 at launch, bought champion edition and then when I got a gaming PC I bought it for that. I'm sure a lot of avid players have similar experiences.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Luke will probably look a lot cleaner with a new model style for SF6. He's supposed to be the face of the next installment, well you wouldn't get that impression off his SF5 model.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This has more to do with the long lifespan of the game tbh and the fact that gaming has changed a lot since back then, digital gaming probably has created a lot of re-purchases.

Like for me I've bought SF5 like 3 times already basically. Bought it for PS4 at launch, bought champion edition and then when I got a gaming PC I bought it for that. I'm sure a lot of avid players have similar experiences.

either way it sold 5.5 mil, the fact that street fighter is damn near 30 years old and is only on its 5th entry kind of makes long lifespans its thing. Even if we count the Alpha series its still only 8 entries. 7 if we're not counting 1

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
Arc system works has made capcom look like amateurs

They’ve taken the anime aesthetic using the unreal engine and have put out hit after hit using it

meanwhile ryu and and chun li continue getting bulkier and uglier

Agreed. Oro looks like a bulky mess as well compared to his SF3 sprite.

Look at this video, which is more artistically pleasing to the eye?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Street Fighter IV had a much longer life span like 8 years of support

and was Xbox and PS4, and V did better

people will always complain about street fighter no matter what they do to the game

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Street Fighter IV had a much longer life span like 8 years of support

and was Xbox and PS4, and V did better

people will always complain about street fighter no matter what they do to the game

Well, not much longer. SF4's last update was in 2014 and it came out in 2009. SF5 came out in 2016 and it's last update is (hopefully) this year.

I still feel it has more to do with console gaming growing as a whole and repurchasing. Plus the fighting game culture/esports in general has grown massively.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, not much longer. SF4's last update was in 2014 and it came out in 2009. SF5 came out in 2016 and it's last update is (hopefully) this year.

I still feel it has more to do with console gaming growing as a whole and repurchasing. Plus the fighting game culture/esports in general has grown massively.

Street Fighter IV was on Xbox, PS3, and PC and V still out sold it in less time

Street Fighter has always been a game that lasted years

They just made bunch of versions of Street Fighter II

Street fighter II
Street Fighter II Championship Edition
Street fighter II Hyper fighting
Super Street Fighter II
and Super Street fighter II Turbo

they had to make nerfs and buffs in whole now games to balance it out back then, now you can just download the update and add characters in DLC

Street Fighter III even though purist say its the best in the series, was a low point for the series, arcades were dying, and street fighter was losing popularity after the popular alpha series and vs series

Street Fighter IV restored the tournament scene and brought fighting games back up into Esports and made EVO a bigger thing than what it was

so V being more popular than IV is an accomplisment

Last edited:

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Luke will probably look a lot cleaner with a new model style for SF6. He's supposed to be the face of the next installment, well you wouldn't get that impression off his SF5 model.

If Luke’s design was better he’d probably have a better reaction. Some of his moves look interesting. We’ll see if he fares better than Alex did for SF3

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Agreed. Oro looks like a bulky mess as well compared to his SF3 sprite.

Look at this video, which is more artistically pleasing to the eye?

:beli: You can’t be serious to compare 3D to 2D. They’re inherently to different mediums and serve two different purposes in animations.

Unless Capcom is making a new Darkstalkers those squash and stretch animations don’t work in modern 3D fighters. Go look at Kazuya’s spin kick and tell me that doesn’t look busted.