If Sony Bought Square Enix....

would it be a bigger deal if sony bought square enix?

• yes that would be a big deal and would be more significant than MS buying Bethesda

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • not in the industry as a whole but it would be a bigger deal to me personally

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • no, Square Enix is not on the same level as Bethesda

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • it would be about the same in terms of impact

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • both companies are past their prime. neither would make a huge difference

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Sony needs to buy up JRPG companies now that Xbox is the king of WRPGs. JRPGs vs WRPG's let's go!

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This. Square Enix is my favorite gaming company (I love JRPGs, they put out games I like, easy decision :manny:), but this is why besides the question "Is Sony even able to buy them if they wanted to?", there's no real reason to buy them out anyway. The consumer base is mostly PlayStation already and they've got timed exclusivity deals for their most anticipated titles. What they're doing now is pretty sweet on both ends, because Square has yet to put a title out exclusively for Xbox in recent memory (and they wouldn't, because Xbox is DOA in Japan). So they'll port the games to Xbox for the Western audience, but the company has a clear lean to PlayStation.

Despite people's personal preferences on here, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III sold extremely well. KH3's the highest selling title in the franchise to date, and FFXV's probably close to 10 Million sales overall. Final Fantasy VII Remake has sold five million copies and is the highest selling digital title in the company's history... And mind you, the game dropped right at the initial impact of COVID-19 where absolutely nobody knew what was going to happen. Final Fantasy XIV's extremely successful and is a damn near ATM machine with how well it's doing. Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, really huge. Ask Togashi what he thinks about the series. :mjlol:

So purchasing Square isn't a "bad deal", because they have three massively successful IPs, but there's no real gain on Square's end if they were to do it.

This is also why buying up studios in general for Sony doesn't do much for them because they're already the top dog. These moves work for Microsoft because there's still ground for them to gain. Sony has been selling 100-150M consoles for almost 30 years straight with PS3 being the only exception. Buying a big 3rd party publisher is just them adding hundreds of millions in expenses to maintain the status quo and not actually improve their standing in the market.

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
I won coli cash from betting on the warriors winning the championship years ago :laff: you been here 4 years and still a fukking bytch

I registered in 2016 and forgot I had an account here until summer 2017

It's fake money :mjlol:

I can't imagine being 30 something and still frequenting the coli, bum ass fakkit

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
illiteracy runs rampant in your bloodline lol

and fucc Las Vegas cac
tenor.gif

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
Realistically, Sony won't be able to even acquire Square Enix, let alone Konami due to Japanese laws preventing them from having a monopoly in the gaming business see as Nintendo couldn't acquire Bandai back in the day due to the laws stopping them. Not just that, Sony doesn't really gain anything if they were to get SE as Sony's in-house teams does a damn good job as is.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

what you dying at ? i dont live in las vegas :what: and he also messed up confusing my post :what: dude went 0-2 for that post :what:

dont let us bring up the fact most Sony StruggleStation fan boys are broke boys at heart mafukka you had to sell your PS4 to make enough to buy a flight to Japan just to get denied some p*ssy :laff:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
This is also why buying up studios in general for Sony doesn't do much for them because they're already the top dog. These moves work for Microsoft because there's still ground for them to gain. Sony has been selling 100-150M consoles for almost 30 years straight with PS3 being the only exception. Buying a big 3rd party publisher is just them adding hundreds of millions in expenses to maintain the status quo and not actually improve their standing in the market.

Yeah, Sony's first-party studios have been putting out hitters for decades. Nintendo's been putting out hitters for decades. Microsoft is newer on the block in comparison.

Even with news like this, people widely feel that Bethesda as a company has gotten worse and worse over the years, they still remember Fallout 76. Even Fallout 4 had a whole myriad of issues at launch. With Microsoft backing them, hopefully there's no issues like that anymore and they can release their games without turning people's consoles into a microwave.

I know people make jokes, but I seriously doubt a move like this puts Sony on the ropes. It's always been about the games, I've maintained that opinion for a long time now. People were talking about how Xbox had more TFlops than the PS5 like they knew what they were saying, and then developers came out and basically started clowning people. THEN the Sony conference came and none of that was spoke of again, because nobody at home is going to be playing God of War or a new Gears game and have TFlops at the back of their mind -- nobody does that. Sony's always brought it with games, so I don't see that changing now. And with a move like this, Microsoft has WAY more talent in their back pocket to make some amazing AAA-exclusives on Xbox, and that's really what you want in the end. Last thing anyone wants is for Sony or Nintendo to get lazy and cocky because Microsoft isn't much competition. Then everyone loses.

Idunno, I think this is all pretty interesting and I really wonder what games will come out of this new deal. Unless they've been making games this whole time with the deal in mind (which is very possible), we'll probably see the fruits of it in about two years or so.