Idris Elba Got Turned Off From Playing James Bond When ‘It Became About Race’: It ‘Made the Whole Thing Disgusting and Off-Putting’

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps

Idris Elba Got Turned Off From Playing James Bond When ‘It Became About Race’: It ‘Made the Whole Thing Disgusting and Off-Putting’
Zack SharfJun 27, 2023 12:51pm PT

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 01: Idris Elba arrives at the global premiere of Luther: The Fallen Sun at BFI IMAX Waterloo on March 01, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Lia Toby/Getty Images)

Lia Toby/Getty Imagesnone

Popular on Variety
Bond rumors have been following Idris Elbaaround for many years, but the actor admitted during a recent interview on the “SmartLess” podcast that he got turned off from the idea of playing 007 when the conversation became dominated by race. Back in 2015, for example, the author Anthony Horowitz notoriously wrote that Elba was “too street” to play James Bond.

“The truth is, I was super complimented for a long time about this,” Elba said about originally embracing the idea about playing Bond. “I was like, ‘This is crazy!’ James Bond…We’re all actors and we understand that role. It’s one of those coveted [roles]. Being asked to be James Bond was like, ‘Ok, you’ve sort of reached the pinnacle’. That’s one of those things the whole world has a vote in.”

“Essentially, it was a huge compliment that every corner of the world except from some corners, which we will not talk about, were really happy about the idea that I could be considered,” Elba added. “Those that weren’t happy about the idea made the whole thing disgusting and off-putting, because it became about race. It became about nonsense and I got the brunt of it.”

Once the conversation about Elba becoming Bond became dominated by the topic of race, he cooled on the idea of headlining the 007 franchise. The actor has spoken out publicly in the past about his frustrations with being labeled a “Black actor.” In a February interview with Esquire U.K., he admitted that he stopped calling himself a “Black actor” because it created limitations for his career.

Elba noted at the time that “as humans, we are obsessed with race and that obsession can really hinder people’s aspirations, hinder people’s growth. Racism should be a topic for discussion, sure. Racism is very real. But from my perspective, it’s only as powerful as you allow it to be.”

“I stopped describing myself as a Black actor when I realized it put me in a box,” the actor said. “We’ve got to grow. We’ve got to. Our skin is no more than that: it’s just skin. Rant over.”

Elba’s most recent role is headlining the Apple TV+ thriller series “Hijack.” The series premieres June 28.

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it was a very easy and simple way get around racebending James bond/007 and still basically having 00black/Idris Elba version of james bond

all they would have to do is, do what The MCU did with spider-man in Captain America civil war in the next Daniel Craig bond movie have 00black/ Idris Elba show up for like just 15-20 minutes helping or interfering with Daniel Craig on one of his missions
as a very different but equal 00 agent to Daniel Craig's 007, Idris Elba's 00black could use more gadgets like driving gloves that deliver electric taser punches / a writing pen that can inject poison or truth serum,.. i mean just get back to 00 agent's using high tech gadgets and tricked out cars and shyt

have maybe 00black/Idris Elba be some one from bond's past he trained with as a young Up 'n Coming 00 agent and them having a friendly rivalry as young men and from their you spine off into 00black/ Idris Elba trilogy of movies as his on 00 agent with his on style of dress and swagger

it would be like having miles Morales be black spider-man or Adonis creed/ MBJ being the new rocky without race swapping a existing character

copilot-style-wear-it-now-201310-idris-elba-gq-magazine-october-2013-fall-style-01.jpg

IdrisElbaSuit_4.jpg

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don’t blame him on this.

A lot of these actors have to deal with lots of crazy fans, and it can get crazy even when they LIKE you. Now imagine some insane, racist fanboys who can’t bare the thought of they’re precious white 007 being some Negro. Stalking, death threats, etc. Nobody wants to deal with that on a day to day basis just for playing a fukking fictional character.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
They might as well continue with her or another double 0 agent because an novel accurate James Bond just isnt going to fly in today's society.
true talk, the world has changed and is rapidly changing.

While on leave of absence from the coli I used to kick it with Bond girl Robbin Young over on Twitter. She's a mental mess but in a good way. 😂

Robbin Young: The Former Playmate & Her Affair with Russian Hackers​

Robbin Young is a former Playboy model who had a stint as a Bond Girl. But she’s making headlines now for admitting she sexted the Russian spies behind Guccifer 2.0, the hackers indicted by the U.S. government for their alleged involvement in the 2016 elections.

Robbin-Young-Wiki.jpg

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't blame him. I also dislike the way a lot of (white) writers and producers will trot out a black version of an established character in order to generate engagement and views, while putting zero effort into making the character black beyond just skin color. They aren't interested in telling black stories, they just want the headlines.

In terms of Bond, I think he should always be white. James Bond as a character should be a white male chauvinist who casually fits into whichever rich/elite circle he enters. That's who he is at the core, and I don't think that works as a black man or Indian man or whatever else.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
He should have done one, but make it the best one out of them all and dip, like Lazenby did

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I get why his verbiage (which I definitely don't think breh is tone deaf to our plight in saying what he said) might rub some people the wrong way. That said, I understand 100% what he's saying. He's not tryna be token and he's definitely not tryna have the crazy amount of work he'd have to put in for the role be diminished because cacs gon cac.

Don't get it twisted, Idris would have absolutely killed it in this role. He'd make that role his own better than anyone since Connery, probably, and that's coming from a huge fan of Craig's portrayal. He knows that and that probably adds some bitterness too.

I could ironically see Damson Idris in the role if he devoted a bit of time in the gym. Young, tall, charismatic, etc. Most importantly, a Brit.

I haven't seen this thrown out there, but Omar Sy would absolutely kill the role. Only one huge issue, he's French.