I want to get into Jazz and understand it

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I know Jazz is king of music. Been checking out Quincy Jones interviews lately. It's weird, I find it hard to get into.

After checking some Quincy first album and Herbie debut. I was like ehh.

Now playing Kind of Blue, I'm really digging the third track.

I plan to check the albums Time Out!, Brilliant corners, the black saint and the sinner lady, the shape of jazz to come and a love supreme.

After all this I want to revisit pimp butterfly Kendrick album.

Really want to get deep into funk too. I've only heard the first Parliament album, I don't think it was bad. I found it more interesting than enjoyable if that makes sense. Almost as if it was a concept album, although it wasn't.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
If you want to get into jazz, it's best to know what you are actually listening to.

Quincy Jones isn't a "serious" jazz musician in terms of making jazz albums. He is a good composer and great producer.

Best to get a book like The Oxford Companion to Jazz.

The understanding of Jazz is very much reliant on understanding music theory like Classical music.

Jazz isn't like Pop, RnB or Hip Hop where understanding it is really just about lyrics and production styles and you don't need to understand anything about music theory.

There's books written on Jazz theory and etc that would be good to read.

You won't know what makes Miles Davis great if you don't know music theory. Miles Davis broke the rules.

Get a companion guide on Jazz if you are serious about learning about the genre beyond easy listening and jazz fusion.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I know Jazz is king of music. Been checking out Quincy Jones interviews lately. It's weird, I find it hard to get into.

After checking some Quincy first album and Herbie debut. I was like ehh.

Now playing Kind of Blue, I'm really digging the third track.

I plan to check the albums Time Out!, Brilliant corners, the black saint and the sinner lady, the shape of jazz to come and a love supreme.

After all this I want to revisit pimp butterfly Kendrick album.

Really want to get deep into funk too. I've only heard the first Parliament album, I don't think it was bad. I found it more interesting than enjoyable if that makes sense. Almost as if it was a concept album, although it wasn't.
https://www.thecoli.com/forums/the-lounge.15/