I want to convince my girl to stop flat ironing her hair

Yo Mama

...the sweeter the juice.
Daps
Reppin
Your dreams
:manny:

So no suggestions?

Am I at least right that flat ironing causes long term damage or nah?

Yeah it could get damaged from flat ironing. Some with "stronger" hair can flat iron without eventual hairloss/damage.
But if she is flat ironing and its healthy you might have a hard time getting her to stop.

You could just point blank tell her to try a styles in its natural texture? She might agree and like it and eventually stop flat ironing.

Lol at you being accused of not being black coz you think its silly to ask a question. Typical coli.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I don't see the big deal. Just tell her that her hair looks great/would look great when it's curly and talk to her about it. If she hasn't tried it before suggest she wear it that way over the weekend as a treat to you and complement her. If she's concerned about how to deal with the hair buy Curlific and some gel and do a private "boyfriend does your hair day".

See the result, let her see the result and be honest with each other.

Either she doesn't know how to wear her hair fabulously natural or she prefers the look of straight hair. If it's the latter leave her to it.

Her hair looks great natural...it's wavy and long and doesn't afro-up. So it's not a whole lot of maintenance. My ex usedto to have to twist it every night and bla bla bla to have it nice and stylish.

She's a bit c00nish. I'm secretly trying to get her to get off that European standard of beauty

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
Her hair looks great natural...it's wavy and long and doesn't afro-up. So it's not a whole lot of maintenance. My ex usedto to have to twist it every night and bla bla bla to have it nice and stylish.

She's a bit c00nish. I'm secretly trying to get her to get off that European standard of beauty

You should be aware that you are sounding kinda c00nish yourself when you say "Her hair looks great natural...it's wavy and long and doesn't afro-up. So it's not a whole lot of maintenance. My ex usedto to have to twist it every night and bla bla bla to have it nice and stylish."

To "afro-up" and shrinkage is part and parcel of most natural hair types...

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
You should be aware that you are sounding kinda c00nish yourself when you say "Her hair looks great natural...it's wavy and long and doesn't afro-up. So it's not a whole lot of maintenance. My ex usedto to have to twist it every night and bla bla bla to have it nice and stylish."

To "afro-up" and shrinkage is part and parcel of most natural hair types...

I expected someone to read too much into that.

I'm just saying that it was more maintenance for my ex to wear her hair natural than this one.

When you got nappy hair or kinky hair you gotta braid it every night and undo it in the morning to get those little twists. So I can see why choosing to flat iron it every couple days is less maintenance.

In my current girls case it's the opposite. Her flat ironing it every morning is more maintenance than just rolling outta bed and wearing it wavy

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
It's never a good idea to change your preferences for a man. Maybe she likes her hair that way. You can always just say her natural hair is beautiful. If she doesn't take she doesn't take. You don't need an arsenal of pics from Instagram. That may insult her

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
There was actually a nationwide study done on it. The majority of AA are natural. That my not be you and yours but the most BW are natural.

This hair trend is shaking up the beauty biz

"Amid the shift, the market for relaxers has fallen for several years now. Sales of hair care products for African Americans reached $774 million in 2014, representing a 12 percent increase since 2009, according to Mintel. Meanwhile, sales of relaxers, which represent about 18 percent of the market value, were worth $131.8 million in 2014, a drop of 34 percent since 2009"

""We can see that sales [of relaxers] start to decline as far back as the 1990s. We forecast that the decline [from 2014] will reach 45 percent by 2019," Roberts said."
That was gonna be my next myths about blk women post.
You beat me to the punch.
Let's see we got single motherhood off, natural hair...just wait until we get on the myth of obesity in the AA community. We aren't the most obese in America. Definitely gotta long way to go. But we're not the biggest group. All shyt I learned in my stats class.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That was gonna be my next myths about blk women post.
You beat me to the punch.
Let's see we got single motherhood off, natural hair...just wait until we get on the myth of obesity in the AA community. We aren't the most obese in America. Definitely gotta long way to go. But we're not the biggest group. All shyt I learned in my stats class.

Your posts make me want you:noah: