I think Sonics biggest problem is the focus on speed

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
funny you say this because ironically an indie team has created a better version of a sonic game then that team that's creating that shytty looking sonic frontiers.

Check this video out of the indie made game called sonic omens. The videos over an hour long so you will have to skip through it to see the gameplay

And Sonic Utopia

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I thought SA was good because sonic stages focused on speed but you had other characters to round out the gameplay and add variety. The code is already cracked, they just refuse to go back to the well

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I never could play Sonic games because I didn't know if I was supposed to be sprinting through a level or taking my time to get and do everything

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
The problem is they haven't figured out the proper controls for a sonic game.

I remember the original assassins creed games you held the shoulder button for a different set of controls. When holding R you'd be sprinting around doing parkour with simple buttons presses. When you weren't your character would move slower for more complex gameplay like stealth and combat.

They should do something similar with sonic, hold R for speed mode where you can do flips and shyt off rails and let it go for more complex combat and platforming. That way the game doesn't have to be designed to be automated to account for speed.

Just my 2

:yeshrug:

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
I think its the opposite.

I think drifting too far out of its wheel house and trying its hand at too much spread itself too thin. It made its weaknesses that much more glaring.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Sonic was never good, the gameplay got old after the first level and most of the games are crap an the fans keep being shocked when a new game is also crap.

Sega brehs pretending sonic was on the level of Mario all stars, super mario world and yoshi island :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looking at it from a development standpoint, the type of design for the original Genesis era games doesn't translate easily to 3D environments. Some of those levels were HUGE, even for 2D games. Levels would need to be crazy large for them to provide proper spacing and scale for the speed.

Theoretically, going open world would be the way to go, since stuff like GTA can give you giant spaces do play on where you can still have the feeling of speed while driving, but from what I've seen/heard, the new game is looking like trash.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Sonic team are just not talented enough, we have to be honest.

A more competent dev studio would have figured 3d sonic out by now
Moving fast and platforming with any accuracy in 3D is always going to be problematic for players.