I think Sonics biggest problem is the focus on speed

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I was a big Sonic fan as a kid and while you could definitely play fast, I agree with the OP that you didn't HAVE to. I remember reading gaming magazines as a kid about players who were finishing the game in crazy speeds and I'd think wow they're so good, I want to try that. I'd never come close to those times but still had fun.

Speed wise I think they should focus on something that's difficult to master, but easy to enjoy regardless of skill level. Similar to how you might play Smash Bros and just love beating up your friends, and while you aren't half as good as a pro Smash player it doesn't matter because you're having fun.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Maybe you turn it into a button mash fighting open world platformer game like spider man and Batman
I think that would work, add some rpg elements too it, have the whole roster available, have it look graphically like ratchet and clank, psychonauts, Mario
You can still add speed elements to it, similar to Spider-Man swinging in the city or that one level in ratchet and clank when he had the hover boots
And you can still have the classic sonic levels too sprinkled throughout the game

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
It's kinda of crazy that Sonic still has such a following considering the franchise has been really mediocre for nearly 20 years. Sonics best game the past 20 years wasn't even made but Sonic team but fan made game

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The problem is that when the Sonic Adventure games had other gameplay options, those dumbass reviewers kept whining about how "SONIC NEEDS TO BE FAST ALL THE TIME" because their most vivid memory of the 2D games was playing Emerald Hill Zone a zllion times.

Sonic's gameplay was momentum based, not speed - the speed was just marketing. But Sonic Team gave up on trying to perfect the momentum gameplay in 3D and instead just went with the boost gimmick to appease the speed queens and get better review scores.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I don't get why they don't make Sonic Adventure 3 and expand on everything that Sonic Adventure 2 excelled in. Maybe I'm thinking of it too simplistically

I agree with the sentiment that they need to expand past 'go fast'
Sonic '06 is to blame. Spiritually, Sonic '06 is Sonic Adventure 3 but the game was such a disaster that Sonic Team has done everything in their power to avoid even crossing the same territory, even if it means avoiding the stuff that was actually working and better than their current concepts. They'd rather just go with safe and bland than taking a risk and falling on their face.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
They got Sonic right numerous times in the 3d era. (Sonic Colors/Sonic unleashed daytime levels/Sonic generations)

Yet they keep insisting on following game trends/using dumb gimmicks instead of just doing what Sonic fans want.

Also the quality of the "Mascot" games are at such a high level currently that it really sticks out when you don't match it. "Sonic Team" just aren't as good as some of these other devs.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Toronto, Ontario
Sonic team are just not talented enough, we have to be honest.

A more competent dev studio would have figured 3d sonic out by now
funny you say this because ironically an indie team has created a better version of a sonic game then that team that's creating that shytty looking sonic frontiers.

Check this video out of the indie made game called sonic omens. The videos over an hour long so you will have to skip through it to see the gameplay