I just watched 'There Will Be Blood".

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'll check it out today. The last good movie I watched recently was, "I saw the devil". I doubt it'll be as good as that but hopefully i enjoy it

I’ll take this over I saw the devil any day of the week but that’s just one mans opinion. Like I said for my money, this is the best flick of last decade

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'll be honest, I saw it coming off the high of No Country for Old Men so as a whole, it was ridiculously underwhelming for me. It was so different from the trailers that about half way through it dawned on me that it wasn't going to be what I thought it was and I felt like I'd been tricked.

That said, it had some of the best acting I have seen in film (DDL was stellar and transformative as always, Plano was outstanding for a newcomer), the cinematography was stunning and the score still gets heavy plays from me on a regular basis. Jonny Greenwood really killed it.

Still, while I liked different parts of it, altogether, it just didn't work for me. Tbh I blame it on the marketing. Mind you 2007 was the year of Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, American Gangster, 3:10 to Yuma (one of the best ever remakes IMO), Spider Man 3, I AM Legend, Gone Baby Gone, Transformers, The Assassination of Jesse James, etc JUST to name a few. So I mean like I get WHY it was marketed a certain way, but I feel like the trailers/promo really oversold what the actual film was going to be about which left me disappointed.

But I just looked it up and it seems it'll be showing in at a Hollywood theatre next week so I might have to give it a rewatch with the benefit of the full cinema exerience. Idk, it might change my mind.
You listed Spiderman 3 over Ratatouille and Eastern Promises and Bourne Ultimatum.

:mindblown:

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Legit classic.
This.

I've watched and/or reviewed many films in my life....including those that AFI listed as the best ever, and I legitimately can't name many that I've loved more or thought were better overall than There Will Be Blood. Day-Lewis was absolutely hypnotizing as Plainview. He was strong in Lincoln, but TWBB may be the best he's ever been.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I'll be honest, I saw it coming off the high of No Country for Old Men so as a whole, it was ridiculously underwhelming for me. It was so different from the trailers that about half way through it dawned on me that it wasn't going to be what I thought it was and I felt like I'd been tricked.

That said, it had some of the best acting I have seen in film (DDL was stellar and transformative as always, Plano was outstanding for a newcomer), the cinematography was stunning and the score still gets heavy plays from me on a regular basis. Jonny Greenwood really killed it.

Still, while I liked different parts of it, altogether, it just didn't work for me. Tbh I blame it on the marketing. Mind you 2007 was the year of Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, American Gangster, 3:10 to Yuma (one of the best ever remakes IMO), Spider Man 3, I AM Legend, Gone Baby Gone, Transformers, The Assassination of Jesse James, etc JUST to name a few. So I mean like I get WHY it was marketed a certain way, but I feel like the trailers/promo really oversold what the actual film was going to be about which left me disappointed.

But I just looked it up and it seems it'll be showing in at a Hollywood theatre next week so I might have to give it a rewatch with the benefit of the full cinema exerience. Idk, it might change my mind.
what did you see in this that was so different from the movie you saw

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Yo this movie is dope. I've watched it 6 times at least! :banderas:

The main character's greed. The only other movie where I saw the same level of focus was "the perfume". It's like both movies focus on a particular aspect of what it means to be a human that desires growth.

Although the perfume is a little less enthralling.

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just watch this movie again based off this thread....

So many complexities to even write about, I wrote an earlier post about him not loving his son, I think he had affection for son which is why he drunk so much in old age(he drunk alot regardless , but no drunken stupor levels) and even had a sign language translator.

I think the biggest part that's not explored is that money is the rout of all evil and the rise of capitalism to make it in America, not ideals( even though capitalism has always been about that), from his son trying to start his own company, the Old man bandy's grandson moving to Hollywood, the pastor at the end speaking on radio ( false fame) and willing to switch up ways to earn more money.

This movie showed the complexities of man and they ways we justify our bigger dreams to realize money isn't truly worth it....

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think the biggest part that's not explored is that money is the rout of all evil and the rise of capitalism to make it in America, not ideals( even though capitalism has always been about that), from his son trying to start his own company, the Old man bandy's grandson moving to Hollywood, the pastor at the end speaking on radio ( false fame) and willing to switch up ways to earn more money.
That’s how I felt too

Capitalism corrupts everything and everyone. Eli Sunday’s character showed this the most.

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s how I felt too

Capitalism corrupts everything and everyone. Eli Sunday’s character showed this the most.

Definitely, Eli's character is the same as DDL, they just go about there ways of achieving fame/money in different ways,

Eli ways of preaching are remisicient of pastors way of preaching during the great revival after the civil war( preaching for fame and grandeur)
DDL ways of of achieving money was remisicient to Rockfeller( standard oil referenced throughout the movies) and Andrew Cargenie (cut throat business man) not the man actually portrayed today

Movie does an excellent job of portraying the evilness of man in the rise of the 20th century, that trusting a man for his word was no longer a way to do business....

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I've never understood the "boring" remarks about this movie. shyt is enthralling from beginning to end.

most of DDL and PTA movies I've seen are character study/driven films rather than plot driven and this throws viewers off. If you go in knowing what you are about to watch you'll appreciate it more.