I just realized what Pixar's secret is :leon:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

I never said Pixar's winning because of originality, I said that they're winning because they're consistently able to build worlds that feel bigger than the characters living in them. The overarching themes in each movie stand out because they stand out in the worlds the characters live in, not in the characters themselves. Disney very rarely paints in shades of grey and they always use the same subplot of the villain being ugly/undesirable and lonely and she'll be jealous of the protagonist for having a sex life just like a lot of the Grimm Brothers stories and Shakespeare plays that inspire them.

maleficent-angelina-witch-sleeping-beauty.jpg

Ursula-disney-villains-9586464-800-600.jpg

rs_560x415-140514151032-1024.Lady-Tremaine-Disney-Villains-Cindarella.jl.051414.jpg

Either that or they'll flip the script and make the protagonist ugly and lonely but he'll somehow win the heart of the finest girl in town by the end of the movie.

Esmeralda-disney-leading-ladies-16434455-438-498.jpg
Tell-her-how-you-feel.jpg

:mjlol:

beauty-and-the-beast-gif.gif

:stopitslime:

You see that swirl agenda too :ohhh:

Disney ain't slick

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Disney Animation Studios has had way better ideas the past 5 years while Pixar has become a sequel factory

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't know.
I think classic disney movies hold up a lot better than the Pixar stuff that people love, and I can still watch them today.
Bambi, the Sword and the Stone, Robin Hood, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Cinderella, Dumbo, Pinnochio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, peter pan i mean kids like this shyt to this day and the majority of those movies are older than my parents

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Wow zootpopia is their only hit? So you're ignoring frozen which was huge and still continues to be huge? Big hero 6? Moana? Jungle book?

I mean I hear you but you're logic has some gaps in it homie to truly be sound

also I don't remember being bored by the relationship stuff in Aladdin or Hercules or the little mermaid or any of the stuff from the 90s

Truth be told I forgot Big Hero Six was Disney :ehh: Aint seen Moana yet, heard good things about it though.

In a way Disney's slowly but surely moving away from the Shakespeare plots... their last 3 movies or so have all veered away from that. 2000s Disney was mostly :scust:though and especially compared to Pixar. Their efforts in the 2000s to move away from the Shakespeare plots were largely terrible... Anybody remember Chicken Little? The WIld? Meet The Robinsons? Treasure Planet? :mjlol: The only :trash: Pixar made in the 2000s was Cars and that's a fact.

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I don't know.
I think classic disney movies hold up a lot better than the Pixar stuff that people love, and I can still watch them today.
Bambi, the Sword and the Stone, Robin Hood, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Cinderella, Dumbo, Pinnochio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, peter pan i mean kids like this shyt to this day and the majority of those movies are older than my parents

Disney's musical numbers are some of the greatest ever, they're timeless and prevent the outdated animation from limiting the enjoyment. The plots themselves though are very by the numbers and often interchangeable.

Even in the 90s though the most critically acclaimed animated films all avoided the hokey Disney love story tropes. Iron Giant (despite being a box office failure) is to this day considered one of the greatest animated films of the 20th century.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
I don't know.
But how many of those are original "Disney" movies, as opposed to Disney's interpretation of a classic story or book?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Disney Animation Studios has had way better ideas the past 5 years while Pixar has become a sequel factory

Inside Out was a pretty great idea, not my favorite Pixar movie at all though. I can agree though that Disney's been pretty good as of late. BH6 and Zootopia are definitely some of the better animated films of the last few years.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Disney's musical numbers are some of the greatest ever, they're timeless and prevent the outdated animation from limiting the enjoyment. The plots themselves though are very by the numbers and often interchangeable.

Even in the 90s though the most critically acclaimed animated films all avoided the hokey Disney love story tropes. Iron Giant (despite being a box office failure) is to this day considered one of the greatest animated films of the 20th century.
Some of the disney musical numbers carry movies, but some carry on with music being the back burner. That said the animaation for a lot of the classic shyt isn't distracting or harsh to way a lot of stuff in the 70s .

Iron Giant isn't close to being one of the greatest animated films of the 20th century, no where close imho. line that up against the movies I've posted and even shyt from Disney like Beauty and the Beast or Lion King . That said taste is subjective.

But how many of those are original "Disney" movies, as opposed to Disney's interpretation of a classic story or book?

I would say they are entirely disney movies IMHO, they rarely made straight adaptions and I would argue part of the appeal of those movies are disney's ability to take classic stories from brothers grimm or common folklore and interpret them in a disnified version. Thats a strength.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Truth be told I forgot Big Hero Six was Disney :ehh: Aint seen Moana yet, heard good things about it though.

In a way Disney's slowly but surely moving away from the Shakespeare plots... their last 3 movies or so have all veered away from that. 2000s Disney was mostly :scust:though and especially compared to Pixar. Their efforts in the 2000s to move away from the Shakespeare plots were largely terrible... Anybody remember Chicken Little? The WIld? Meet The Robinsons? Treasure Planet? :mjlol: The only :trash: Pixar made in the 2000s was Cars and that's a fact.

Well obviously that's not fact that's your opinion. Secondly your initial argument was about hits. Hits are successes that make money which isn't subjective at all. That is an actual fact. So if we want to talk about Disney's recent output since john Lassiter took over, it's been a hit factory. Whether they all work for you is a different issue but we're talking purely facts and figures. In fact the only flop they've really had on the books is the BFG

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Some of the disney musical numbers carry movies, but some carry on with music being the back burner. That said the animaation for a lot of the classic shyt isn't distracting or harsh to way a lot of stuff in the 70s .

Iron Giant isn't close to being one of the greatest animated films of the 20th century, no where close imho. line that up against the movies I've posted and even shyt from Disney like Beauty and the Beast or Lion King . That said taste is subjective.

Iron Giant had the same director (Brad Bird) responsible for The Incredibles and Ratatouille which are both widely considered two of the greatest Pixar movies. Iron Giant was critically acclaimed as well and gained a huge cult following to the point that its cult status got it a remaster last year. I can agree to disagree though, I'd be curious as to what list of animated films from the 20th century you'd put above it.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Another thing Pixar does it remember that two genders exist and try to appeal to both of them. Disney even had to buy Lucasfilm and Marvel to get any interest from boys because their movies are so girl focused.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Inside Out was a pretty great idea, not my favorite Pixar movie at all though. I can agree though that Disney's been pretty good as of late. BH6 and Zootopia are definitely some of the better animated films of the last few years.
Yeah Inside out was great. but I had no interest in finding dory. I have no interest in Cars 3 either. I have nominal interest as of now in Incredibles 2 even though the first was great it's been so damn long.

I probably will check out Toy Story 4 though they should have just ended it with 3

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Well obviously that's not fact that's your opinion. Secondly your initial argument was about hits. Hits are successes that make money which isn't subjective at all. That is an actual fact. So if we want to talk about Disney's recent output since john Lassiter took over, it's been a hit factory. Whether they all work for you is a different issue but we're talking purely facts and figures. In fact the only flop they've really had on the books is the BFG

"Hit" is not the right word I guess, more like Zootopia was the first Disney movie in a while that I actually heard people discussing. Frozen is technically a bigger hit than any of them box-office wise but the acting and writing at certain points is :trash:.

Elza's acting :huhldup:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Iron Giant had the same director (Brad Bird) responsible for The Incredibles and Ratatouille which are both widely considered two of the greatest Pixar movies. Iron Giant was critically acclaimed as well and gained a huge cult following to the point that its cult status got it a remaster last year. I can agree to disagree though, I'd be curious as to what list of animated films from the 20th century you'd put above it.

Iron Giant had critical acclaim, there are disney movies from the 90s with critical acclaim and commercial acclaim that weren't cult status, so its hard for me to even put Iron Giant up there. I know who Bird is, I'm not really a huge fan of his work, I like The Incredibles, but Iron Giant and Ratatouille aren't in the levels of greats to me.

That said I'm will agree to disagree with you.

I'd put
Snow White
Cinderella
Beauty and The Beast
The Little Mermaid
Lion King
Pinocchio
Secret of Nihm
The Land Before Time
Aladdin
Dumbo
The Jungle Book
Mulan
An American Tale

and others as some of my favorite animated films of the 20th century in the kids/family role, secret of Mihm