I hope people don’t think James Gunn will be writing and directing all of those movies for DC.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
He’s taking on a role he’s never done before. More responsibility, more pressure.

Once could go as far as saying his job will be 10 times harder than Feige’s.

I also find it strange that he’s making all of these announcements and proclamations for the next 10 years when he doesn’t need to.

And I recon he doesn’t care about GOTG or how it performs. This was his last movie so my expectations are super low.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He’s taking on a role he’s never done before. More responsibility, more pressure.

Once could go as far as saying his job will be 10 times harder than Feige’s.

I also find it strange that he’s making all of these announcements and proclamations for the next 10 years when he doesn’t need to.

And I recon he doesn’t care about GOTG or how it performs. This was his last movie so my expectations are super low.

I'mma need you to expound on the bolded, breh.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
His style just don’t work for every movie. You can still see hints of his aesthetic/influence in Wonder Woman and the new Flash movie. It’s the wrong tone for a lot of DC movies, and I enjoyed Man of Steel

I'll agree that his style don't work for every movie. But he didn't direct every movie either. Man Of Steel and the Real Justice league movies were flames.

BvS uncut version was pretty good. The Martha thing was not executed well and what they did with Lex (Casting/Writing) could have been better.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Man Of Steel and the Real Justice league movies were flames.

This I agree with, but they were definitely trying to build the rest of the movies out around the shared aesthetic and tone of his films. Kind of like how Iron Man and Avengers set the tone for the rest of the MCU, until recently.

For example, Gunns Suicide Squad is way more enjoyable than the David Ayer version that takes itself super seriously. I think the new DC movies will follow the tone of Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. which is essentially rated R marvel

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
James Gunn helped make the GOTG world-renowned and each entry carries an emotional weight to them that makes it feel more than just the typical MCU film. You really think he doesn’t care about the property, those characters, particularly in their swan song? :comeon:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This I agree with, but they were definitely trying to build the rest of the movies out around the shared aesthetic and tone of his films. Kind of like how Iron Man and Avengers set the tone for the rest of the MCU, until recently.

For example, Gunns Suicide Squad is way more enjoyable than the David Ayer version that takes itself super seriously. I think the new DC movies will follow the tone of Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. which is essentially rated R marvel
As much as I liked his SS and Peacemaker, I hope he can establish a good diversification of the titles as well.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I'mma need you to expound on the bolded, breh.
For one, there wasn’t as much pressure. People were already excited for the Avengers because it was something nobody had done before. You also had other studios putting out comic book movies, so there was a bit of a buffer.

Gunn is coming in during a different time. He’s taking over when DC’s credibility is low. Too much history. And he’s not coming in with a clean slate. And he has to deal with people like The Rock and his ego.

Feige had no problem getting rid of actors and directors. Will Gunn be able to do the same? More importantly, will he know when to do it if needed?

At the end of the day, his success will be based on box office performance. When Feige came out, there wasn’t any pressure for every MCU movie to clear a billion, or even come close. That’s not the case anymore.

And lastly, Feige didn’t have to worry about box office numbers being compared to other studios when he first took over like they do today. It didn’t start until BvS went up against Civil War.

Now Gunn will have to deal with it damn near every movie. Feige has built up enough equity, that he can take more risks like an Eternals or Wandavison. Do you think Gunn will be able to take those same risks?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For one, there wasn’t as much pressure. People were already excited for the Avengers because it was something nobody had done before. You also had other studios putting out comic book movies, so there was a bit of a buffer.

Gunn is coming in during a different time. He’s taking over when DC’s credibility is low. Too much history. And he’s not coming in with a clean slate. And he has to deal with people like The Rock and his ego.

Feige had no problem getting rid of actors and directors. Will Gunn be able to do the same? More importantly, will he know when to do it if needed?

At the end of the day, his success will be based on box office performance. When Feige came out, there wasn’t any pressure for every MCU movie to clear a billion, or even come close. That’s not the case anymore.

And lastly, Feige didn’t have to worry about box office numbers being compared to other studios when he first took over like they do today. It didn’t start until BvS went up against Civil War.

Now Gunn will have to deal with it damn near every movie. Feige has built up enough equity, that he can take more risks like an Eternals or Wandavison. Do you think Gunn will be able to take those same risks?

I don't know about that, breh.

People had JOKES when it got out that they were going to build out an Avengers series and overarching universe without Spider-Man, X-Men, or even the Fantastic Four. Also didn't help that Feige was producer on all of those series' then most recent entries that put them to bed for a little bit. Also didn't help that until about five or six years ago, Feige still had to fight Isaac Perlmuter for everything. A lot of the early cases of swapping out directors and actors came about from Perlmuter fukking around.

DC's struggles mostly came about, honestly, from just not having someone in his position to try to keep things a little more tightly involved. Really, I think the pressure to just get it right once or twice and build momentum is less than having to keep the gravy train rolling for Disney when a solid chunk of their film revenue is depending on your work.

But either way, while he definitely isn't going to write and/or direct the overwhelming majority of the content that comes out under his possession of this title, it's not crazy for people to wonder how heavy or light of a touch he's going to have with the product going forward, especially since Gunn has shown that he has a pretty well defined style and tone that he likes to stick to.