"I gave the Garfield High School victim CPR. Now I’m pulling my son from school" - 17 year old killed today at Seattle HS

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

SMFH brehs, this story/headline too close to not share. I lived 3 blocks from there until like 2 months ago, for 4 years.

I gave the Garfield High School victim CPR. Now I’m pulling my son from school​

506cb7faca34a0dddee651be76723d0f.jpg

Christle Young, a Garfield High School mom and former cop, rushed to perform first aid on the shooting victim on Thursday. She shared her account with KUOW's Liz Jones:
I was waiting on my son to come out and get some gift cards from me for the track banquet.

When I was waiting on him, and I was filling out the gift cards, and I noticed that there were a lot of kids in the parking lot -- probably like 40 or 50 kids walking up the stairs to go back into school during lunchtime, and there were like five or six gunshots that rang out.

The kids started scattering. I'm a former police officer, so I ran towards the gunshots.

I saw a kid on the ground. He had a gunshot wound to his left upper chest and one to the left side of his abdomen. I started doing CPR. I asked the school nurse to help me by putting some pressure on the wound on his abdomen. She was hesitant but I put her hands on top of it and said keep your hands there while I continued CPR.

Seattle Police and the fire department arrived pretty quickly and they took over.

The police gave me some sanitary wipes to wipe the blood off my hands. I still have blood on my phone. I went home to shower and change. And I've just been in contact with my son.
My adrenaline was really heightened during the incident. And now I just feel I've crashed, and I'm just ready to get my kid and get him home.
2a694daa5bcb62564a52a1ce5466c406.jpg

Christle Young hugs her son after he was released from school following a shooting on Thursday, June 6, 2024, at Garfield High School in Seattle.
I'm just not comfortable sending my son here. It doesn't seem like they're equipped to handle situations like this. This is like the third or fourth shooting they've had this year. My son has had to go inside from track practice because of a shooting. During the day he's been pulled inside from PE because of a shooting.

One of his bandmates got shot, a little girl that was in his section, got shot over at the gas station. If this isn't my last sign that I have to do something about this right now, I don't know what it is. I've already talked to my wife, and we're already calling other schools today. We moved here from New Orleans to have him in a safer environment and give him a better life. So I'm just going to do whatever I can to protect him.

My son loves his friends here. He's got supportive teachers. He's going out for football. He's excited about that. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but his safety is going to have to be prioritized above any of that.

I was really sorry to see his bandmate on crutches at one of the performances after being shot at the gas station. I'm sorry to have to intervene with someone being shot during lunchtime today. And I just can't let that be him.

We're not coming to school tomorrow. We're transferring. This is his last day at Garfield.
Garfield is not a BAD SCHOOL...it is historic [notable alumni]. shyt is just hot as hell and I moved from that neighborhood because I got tired of being woken up by gunshots...and I lived in a fairly baller ass apt and stunt around and shyt and don't feel pressed...but shyt is UP right now out here...RIP that 17 year old...killed definitely over some bullshyt...at SCHOOL :mjcry:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
If it's ever God's plan for me to be a father, I'm home-schooling my kids.

I'm not dumb. I scored a 35 on the ACT and was all-honors. Plus I'm tri-lingual.
whats sad is I've always been pro public school, as you learn those life and social lessons that are important...but my HS in ann arbor is REAL similar to Garfield in terms in age of the school, sports and music culture, etc...idk man...my best friend has a daughter in that same school and they do 'live shooter drills'. Thats where we're at now.

shyts scary as a parent now I fully imagine

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda
I’m telling you drill music has completely changed the landscape of this city post 2012 era. That one page u shared on Instagram and put us on (deadshot) goes into great details about these clicks and sub clicks, exact copy southside chicago gangs, I mean right down to terminology.

In my 4 years of high in 2000’s, we only had one death and it was a Mexican kid in west Seattle.

Now, these kids are ALL armed and they’re dying at an alarming rate. I’m hearing girls are now even ‘backdooring” victims smh

HonoredOne

Back on hiatus
Supporter
Daps
I didn’t know that neighborhood was so bad but I honestly couldn’t imagine what the parents are going through right now.

Seattle has been feeling way more dangerous last some years. RIP to the victim

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
I’m telling you drill music has completely changed the landscape of this city post 2012 era. That one page u shared on Instagram and put us on (deadshot) goes into great details about these clicks and sub clicks, exact copy southside chicago gangs, I mean right down to terminology.

In my 4 years of high in 2000’s, we only had one death and it was a Mexican kid in west Seattle.

Now, these kids are ALL armed and they’re dying at an alarming rate. I’m hearing girls are now even ‘backdooring” victims smh
Gangsta rap = Hiroshima

Drill = Nagasaki

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I didn’t know that neighborhood was so bad but I honestly couldn’t imagine what the parents are going through right now.

Seattle has been feeling way more dangerous last some years. RIP to the victim
its weird because it is and it isn't. Like I said, i lived there for a while recently and wore cartiers all day and drove a sports car...never pressed.

But its the convergence of old seattle's blackest neighborhood being gentrified (which, did include me even though I'm black), and them trying to push historic problems and people out or sweep them under the rug...but shyt is still THERE

so you can have a luxury apartment above a grocery store across from a pot shop, coffee shop, bar, and beer garden...but you still got that corner store where people converge and the houses that didn't sell and the people and problems that live in them.

Seattle tried to build over issues and shyt is now at their doorstep.

EDIT: from my 15 years here, i'll defer to those who lived here longer

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
whats sad is I've always been pro public school, as you learn those life and social lessons that are important...but my HS in ann arbor is REAL similar to Garfield in terms in age of the school, sports and music culture, etc...idk man...my best friend has a daughter in that same school and they do 'live shooter drills'. Thats where we're at now.

shyts scary as a parent now I fully imagine
We do live shooter drills at my job too