I feel like Jonathan Majors is getting all the roles Nate Parker would have got.

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I think that spot goes to Jason Mitchell. He was about to be HUGE. He was great in Straight out of Compton, The first season of the Chi, Forever and Superfly. Dude has range and his performance in Forever is so underrated.

If things kept going the way they were going for him, he would've already been the lead in a big film with heavy hitters, but now they've got him doing straight to DVD quality roles. You hate to see it.
This will bum me out forever, dude has this natural screen presence too. Such a shame

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think that spot goes to Jason Mitchell. He was about to be HUGE. He was great in Straight out of Compton, The first season of the Chi, Forever and Superfly. Dude has range and his performance in Forever is so underrated.

If things kept going the way they were going for him, he would've already been the lead in a big film with heavy hitters, but now they've got him doing straight to DVD quality roles. You hate to see it.

This will bum me forever, dude has this natural screen presence too. Such a shame
I legit forgot about breh. Yea he was on his way as well.
He was in Kong Skull Island with a bunch of Marvel actors as well. Seem like he was going to keep getting bigger projects.

Low key somebody should do a "Stunted Growth" type youtube channel on black actors like they do for basketball players.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub

They've got him? This guy ruined his own career but Lena waithe was turning a blind eye to it and letting him live.

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Hate to be this guy but when a black actor blows up this fast I’m always waiting for the LGBT shoe to drop or them to start c00ning. I know dude has a white baby moms. Hopefully he just gets the bag and doesn’t sell out start talking all lives matter.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I disagree about Nate Parker. Dude had been around long before Birth of a Nation. He was in "The Great Debaters" with Denzel but never really popped off from that and that came out nearly ten years before BOAN. Dude is not really a great actor. He's good, but not great. Nothing he's been in really stood our to me. All his roles could have been played by someone else.

I think he could have been a dope John Stewart (Green Lantern) though.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You gotta a lot of good Black actors shining and getting roles. The idea there are limited opportunities is true but you can say Majors, Stanfield, Kaluuya, etc. are getting his roles.
Shyt I'm really rooting for Andre Holland to blow and he's not popping off like he should IMO. And I can't even say it's due to some scandal. Competition is just high and there are more roles but still a limited amount. Nate might not have popped off like that regardless of the scandal.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I disagree about Nate Parker. Dude had been around long before Birth of a Nation. He was in "The Great Debaters" with Denzel but never really popped off from that and that came out nearly ten years before BOAN. Dude is not really a great actor. He's good, but not great. Nothing he's been in really stood our to me. All his roles could have been played by someone else.

I think he could have been a dope John Stewart (Green Lantern) though.
You're confusing timing with talent.

Nate was always extremely talented, but the timing for him to be recognized/get great roles and such was coming after Birth of a Nation. There were a number of projects he was getting rumored for before things went left.

Put it this way. Mitchell/Nate could have gotten Majors roles and Majors could still be a guy waiting for his time to shine. That wouldnt make him any less talented.

Danny Glover and Sam Jackson didnt pop off until their 40s. Does that mean they werent talented when they were younger? No. Just didnt have the opportunity.

Majors is a great talent that has got the opportunity and has capitalized off of it. However, the point is guys like Nate were in a position to get the roles to really show off his talent.

And disagree he's crushed several roles in the past. Even with the controversy, people admitted he was great as Nat Turner.

It points to how quickly things change and also how few opportunities are out there for black actors.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Ghost World was Thora Birch’s movie but now we’ve been subjected to Scarlet Johansson’s acting for over a decade.

Life doesn’t make sense…

Thora's career got nuked by her dad.. but even then I doubt she would have gone as far as Scarlet. she didn't have that type of sex appeal

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I dunno maybe.. if he never made that movie he probably would be further along :yeshrug:
I never would have thought he would have blown up after watching the last black man in San Francisco

Yeah never woulda thought.. but good to see the brother blowin up

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I never would have thought he would have blown up after watching the last black man in San Francisco

But I also never saw the entire cast from Atlanta being in damn near every movie either outside of donald
That was the movie that made him blow up.

I remember him playing that goon, Johnny Curry in White Boy Rick. I never thought we were looking at the next Marvel supervillain after that role.

Majors ascension came at the right time with King Chadwick transitioning (RIP).