I Am Legend

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They might've left it to the audience, since it did make progress on her.

Also,
According to visual effects supervisor Janek Sirrs: "At that point, Neville's — and the audience's — assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville."
This made the alternate was much better to me.

They were organized, they set traps, they were a people.

Earlier in the film Smith's character takes the female creature, and the alpha male comes out into the sun to scream at him. Smith says something to the effect of it showing how dumb they were, that they didn't realize that the sun would kill them.

But they knew the sun caused damage, he was just pissed Smith took his girl and he made it his duty to get her back. Smith said it showed they had no humanity left when it was the creature's "love" of his girl that caused him to do that.

If he's one of the few people left on earth, Smith is the monster, he's the one going out disrupting the creatures way of life for research.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They should have just stuck with the concept of the original story. It had a lot of potential but they decided to just make it a straight up man vs monsters movie.

BOTH endings are fukking horrible IMO.
It seems like this ending leads up more to a sequel than the original, maybe leading up to more of a route that the book took. Remember in the movie will smith DOES notice that the infected do show signs compassion in that one instance during the trap scene, leading us to believe that these aren't just mindless flesh eaters, but he quickly brushes it off and the suspicion is dropped through the whole movie. This alternate ending brings that suspicion back.

I think a sequel was being set up and that cured infected was going to play the Ruth type character from the book.

As funny as it sounds this alternate ending follows more of the actually books route than the original ending.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It seems like this ending leads up more to a sequel than the original, maybe leading up to more of a route that the book took. Remember in the movie will smith DOES notice that the infected do show signs compassion in that one instance during the trap scene, leading us to believe that these aren't just mindless flesh eaters, but he quickly brushes it off and the suspicion is dropped through the whole movie. This alternate ending brings that suspicion back.

I think a sequel was being set up and that cured infected was going to play the Ruth type character from the book.

As funny as it sounds this alternate ending follows more of the actually books route than the original ending.
That was the point of the original short story by Richard Matheson, that Neville was considered to be The Monster by the infected and they feared and hated him for his relentless preying on them.
But even changing the point of the source material wasn't why this movie sucked...a shytty script, embarrassing CGI and bad performances (the best actor in the whole damn movie was the dog) was what ruined I Am Legend.
The Omega Man played fast and loose with the Matheson's story too but it was an infinitely more enjoyable movie.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I Like Will Smith But His Movies Are Like Bad Pop Songs, At The Time Its So Big And Everyone Loves It But You Look Back On It Like "Wait Why The Hell Did People Ever Like That" :heh:

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
guess im one of the few who liked the movie (most ppl i know like it too :manny:)....i nvr understood the hate for it, the story was simple, will was great, and the movie had a real sense of tension all throughout imo....alternate ending was a bit better tho if im being real...

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
First half of the movie was good..but making the bad guys into "nightstalkers" instead of vampires and going with that ending made it meh at best

ThaBronxBully

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
First half of the movie was good..but making the bad guys into "nightstalkers" instead of vampires and going with that ending made it meh at best

Calling Them "Vampires" Would Have Been A Terrible Idea Breh :heh:

ThaBronxBully

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
But that's what they were in the story man lol..the nightstalkers looked terrible and it's like "what is a nightstalker?"

You Mean The OG Story? Thats Different If Thats The Case, But The Stigma That Goes With The Word "Vampire" Is Gonna Have People Wanting Will To Wear A Garlic Suit And Looking For Silver Bullets lol