I admit i have changed my opinions on Basquiat :

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
before you add crab in the barrel mentality its not that, i once watched his film ages ago before the jay z dikk riding and aa attention. he got on because he was andy warhols bytch, he ran up on warhol at a restaurant showing him little drawing cards and warhol fell in love with him/them.

on top of that his work look so poorly executed and looked fake, scrappy drawings and words of gibberish. i thought is this the go to guy AA standard of art. well theres not a bigger artist his last piece just moved a few milllion. is he overly idolized, probably but his got some decent shyt.

slide_271436_1913998_free.jpg

Jean-Michel-Basquiat-Obnoxious-Liberals.-1982-865x577.jpg

7acb1936e01d49119c4a59764c2ee479.jpg

fallen_angel-orig.jpg

a945c04b15f5e8892ef87c1ae070bf44.jpg

i honestly thought white people where trolling with this shyt, compared to george condo and murakami and them.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Basquiat was on before teaming up with Warhol, hell that's why he was teamed up with him.

He played the art world because he knew damn well being a black kid from the inner city played to his mystique. It's funny because when people criticize Black artists of being "used/fetichized/overrated" by white people (like it was/is the case with Basquiat) they are low-key underestimating the black artist's intelligence and sound quite :mjpls: themselves.

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
Basquiat was on before teaming up with Warhol, hell that's why he was teamed up with him.

He played the art world because he knew damn well being a black kid from the inner city played to his mystique. It's funny because when people criticize Black artists of being "used/fetichized/overrated" by white people (like it was/is the case with Basquiat) they are low-key underestimating the black artist's intelligence and sound quite :mjpls: themselves.

dude was a nobody until he got an andy warhol co-sign, i agree with the rest tho.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
dude was a nobody until he got an andy warhol co-sign, i agree with the rest tho.

He was known as soon as the SAMO phase, and his works were exhibitied in Europe as soon 1981, never mind the US.

He only started collaborating with Wahrol in 85, which is when they did their collaborative work. Basquiat was well established internationally by then. Hell that work was heavilly criticized by critics.

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
He was known as soon as the SAMO phase, and his works were exhibitied in Europe as soon 1981, never mind the US.

He only started collaborating with Wahrol in 85, which is when they did their collaborative work. Basquiat was well established internationally by then. Hell that work was heavilly criticized by critics.

:salute:

BRUHMANE

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Bedford $tuyvesant
i guess thats why its art, to me the aeshetics and technique seem poor but his the number one AA artist, so :manny:

As a former art history student I can't take what you're saying seriously bruh no offense. :yeshrug:

He was poppin' before Warhol, but you're gonna b poppin' after Warhol no matter who you are, B knew this and went ahead.
His whole aim was about getting noticed, and paying homage to past styles via his own. Look up the NYC expressionists from the 1950s
De Kooning, Pollack, Ernst, Krasner, Mitchell. This is where he got his style, and where he got his mode of expression from.

EDIT*
In his case he flipped these past styles on their collective ear when he starting using his work to express and tell a very exclusive narrative that many people weren't getting at the time.

Last edited: