Hustle - Adam Sandler/Lebron James’ Netflix Movie…entire NBA in it

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, this the second movie in a role he's done with basketball stars in major roles.

He's actually a decent actor when he's not doing his schtick. Reign Over Me and Spanglish were solid performances where he plays a dentist with PTSD and an elite cook starting his own restaurant (I heard Uncut Gems and Punch-Drunk Love were really good too but never watched them).
:ufdup:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Gotta make a sequel revolving around Ant's character

Ant’s real life could be a movie

Raised in one of the roughest and poorest areas of Atlanta & going to one of the worst rated high schools in the state

Raised by his mom & grandma & they both die while he’s coming up

“Transfers” to a mostly all white private school in the rich part of Atlanta

Becomes the #1 HS recruit overnight

Commits to UGA who is absolute dog shyt in basketball

Drafted #1 over all

One of the most exciting & popular young players in a while & is universally loved

shyt would do numbers

Tim Dripcan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't even think Ant was acting :pachaha:

zkv9utlruka71.png

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just watched it a few hours ago. Everything was pretty predictable, but it's a solid sports movie. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. Antman was the highlight of the film. Dude just has a natural charisma to him. Some of the nba player cameos were random as hell.

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana

'Hustle' director says Adam Sandler was the one who suggested casting Anthony Edwards, and explains how the NBA star became the movie's scene-stealer​

Jason Guerrasio
Jun 8, 2022, 4:35 PM

Juancho Hernangómez and Anthony Edwards standing next to each other

(L-R) Juancho Hernangómez and Anthony Edwards in "Hustle." Netflix
  • "Hustle" director Jeremiah Zagar talked to Insider about casting NBA star Anthony Edwards.
  • Edwards is a scene-stealer in the movie as heel Kermit Wilts.
  • Zagar said he brought "realism and swagger" to the role.
Over 3 million people read Morning Brew Morning Brew Logo ; you should too!

Email address

By clicking ‘Sign up’, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider as well as other partner offers and accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Adam Sandler might be who entices Netflix viewers to click play on "Hustle," but it's Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Anthony Edwards who's going to leave a lasting impression.
In a movie where some of the world's greatest basketball stars basically play themselves, Sandler and "Hustle" director Jeremiah Zagar had a different plan for Edwards.
"Hustle" delves into the nitty-gritty of the modern NBA world as Sandler plays Stanley, a scout for the Philadelphia 76ers who discovers a phenom named Bo Cruz (Juancho Hernangómez) during an overseas trip. When the 76ers aren't interested in Cruz, Stanley quits the team and decides to risk it all on Cruz by using his league connections to get him drafted to a team.
However, every good sports movie needs a good heel to go up against the hero.
Halfway through the movie, Cruz crosses paths with Kermit Wilts, a top-flight draft prospect who rattles Cruz, thanks to his talent on the court and his vicious trash-talking.
This presented an interesting casting challenge. The person who'd play Wilts didn't just need to be able to ball as well as the Utah Jazz power forward — he'd also have to possess similar acting chops.
Juancho Hernangómez and Anthony Edwards playing basketball

(L-R) Juancho Hernangómez as Bo Cruz and Anthony Edwards as Kermit Wilts in "Hustle." Scott Yamano/Netflix"We didn't cast Kermit until the second half of filming," Zagar told Insider over the phone, explaining that the movie was shot over two summers, with the second summer focusing on all the basketball scenes.
"There were a couple of other NBA stars' names thrown around, but when Adam suggest Anthony it just seemed perfect," Zagar added.
Since being drafted by the Timberwolves in 2020, Edwards has quickly become a favorite among NBA fans for his charm and wit during his post-game interviews.
It certainly caught the attention of Sandler.
"I think Adam had been following his press conferences and felt like he has the vibe," Zagar said.
It also helped that Hernangómez was on the Timberwolves during Edwards' rookie season, so they already had chemistry.
But to hone his raw acting talents, Edwards worked with Zagar's longtime acting coach Noelle Gentile, who helped the NBA star get into his character.
anthony edwards

Anthony Edwards plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves. AP Photo/Jeff ChiuHowever, Zagar said Edwards did not hesitate to make Kermit Wilts his own.
"Anthony would rewrite his lines with Juancho on the day of shooting to make sure they felt like him," he said.
As a result, Edwards became the movie's scene-stealer. He's captivating as the film's antagonist, who goes so far as to talk about Cruz's daughter in the stands to shake him off his game.
Zagar admitted he knew Edwards was gold, even during production.
"There's this shot in the movie that's a oner, where Bo Cruz walks in and meets Kermit for the first time," Zagar recalled. "And the way Anthony was able to deliver his line perfectly every time as that camera moved around is something that seasoned actors have trouble with. So right away you were like, 'Oh my god!'"
Anthony Edwards Jeremiah Zaga and Juancho Hernangómez talking on a basketball court

(L-R) Anthony Edwards, director Jeremiah Zaga, and Juancho Hernangómez on the set of "Hustle." NetflixZagar pointed out that, even though some will see Edwards' character as the villain in the movie, he considers him as more than that.
"If Kermit is just a villain he's uninteresting, but if he's an anti-hero, which is how I see him, if he's more like Michael Jordan than some kind of two-dimensional character, he's more exciting. That's what Anthony brought," Zagar said. "That realism and swagger."
"If we were to make a 'Hustle 2' it would be about him," the director added. "That's how I think of it."

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang

You saying he is MJs illegitimate son? :ohhh:
Just watched it a few hours ago. Everything was pretty predictable, but it's a solid sports movie. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. Antman was the highlight of the film. Dude just has a natural charisma to him. Some of the nba player cameos were random as hell.
Why was there so many shots of Seth Curry, is he even a star on the Sixers? I can understand Tobias and Matisse.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Pretty cool sports movie, probably got a lot of hype for the fact it was a netflix movie.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Anybody know how Juancho got this role?

The NBA star recently spoke to Pop Culture about his first acting job. He revealed how he had initially declined his role alongside Adam Sandler in Hustle.

“My agent asked me to do the castings before COVID hits, three or four or five months before COVID hits,” he told the outlet. “And I told them no. I mean, I didn’t want to do it.”

The Spanish basketball player thought the movie would be a waste of time.

“I mean, I don’t want to waste time on something like this. It’s not my dream. I was focused on basketball and I was happy with it,” Juancho revealed candidly.

The basketballer then reportedly revealed that it was his sister who convinced him to change his mind.

“And, at the end, we did it. And I don’t know how or what they see or what they like, but I keep doing castings and they get me the role.”