How surprising is Sexyy Redd Surpassing Ice Spice?

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
She has more Spotify monthly listeners after ice spice support collapsed over the last year

This song has done better than any Spice song released in 2024. Including gimme the light which was a huge flop that didn’t even chart. This is despite the fact that her debut album supposed to come out a month from now :patrice:

Like if you told people this info this time last year would they believe you?:patrice:

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
Interesting premise, OP. In my opinion, I think it's cause the South just have that much of a stronghold on hip hop these days.

It feels like being hot as an artist from the South lasts longer than being hot as an artist from NYC. Because it's not just Ice Spice, you don't hear much about Fivio Foreign or that other girl Scarlip (I think that's her name, I honestly thought it won't be long until she blow)

They said dthang was supposed to save Bronx drill when he got out, but there hasn't been much noise since.

Compare this to the South where an artist can have one summer hit and a few notable features they got placed on due to that summer hit, and they can stretch out their relevance for at least 2-3 years

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Sexyy has bigger hits if you ask me

I don't know the numbers but munch never felt bigger than get it sexy

Fisherr is a big hit but that's a feature

Those other scat fetish songs don't even last a week

Sexyy getting drake, chief keef, etc. features, she's a machine at this point

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Not very.
Neither are particularly talented but Sexxy Red has charisma and some level of rapping ability.

Ice Spice and that short bus flow have absolutely nothing going

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
SR has an immaculate ear for beats
She just happens to be with Tay Keith and them

Ice seems to only work wit her cuckold bf producer

But really Ice is just a Nicki clone that used the drill wave

Redd is a true ratchet whore

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
It’s not surprising at all. Sexxy Red is a flawed rapper, but is really just a hood chick rapping in the vain of La Chat/Gangsta Boo, plus has had good production way more often than not. Her shyt bumps and it’s the reason a lot of dudes aren’t embarrassed to listen to [most] of her music.

Ice Spice on the other hand straight up can’t rap and is a terrible performer. People have been listening to her ironically like Lil B. They support her simply being a nice person getting money but she has a lot of enablers not realizing she sucks. That NY drill ain’t it.