How much credit does The Game get for the decline of G-Unit?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
There's no question that Game did damage to G-Unit for the simple fact that they seemed invincible before that. A lot of people thought The Massacre was meh or just ok at best but the sales and stans made it impossible to argue a fall off was occurring. Game changed that equation rap/music wise and allowed people to talk about that shyt openly. Seemed obvious that the 50 of a couple years prior would murk Game on wax but he was a different/worse rapper now (2005).

But to me the main factor in the decline was 50. Same reason he couldn't come up with a memorable diss: he fell off. The hubris was too much, the entitlement was crazy, and he started chasing hits while making worse records overall.

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
Game definitely doesn't deserve 100% credit because 50 was obviously beefing with Jimmy Iovine at the same time who effectively pulled the plug on 50/G-Unit around Curtis for all the mixtapes with studio quality songs being leaked.

Jada and Styles dismantled 50 but lacked the star power of Game to really make an impact on 50s career. They're like Budden or Push in the Drake beef who basically slapped Drake around first and left material there for Kendrick to use in his battle. Game was big enough to create a whole G-Unot movement and gather the industry for the One Blood remix to effectively ostracize 50 from the industry and make it cool to hate on him.
What were those tracks I don’t remember. tos and Curtis both sucked.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
He was the bullet that chinked the armor, after that you had D-Block, Nas & Joe along with others who were sending shots at them afterwards. It was a collective effort. The quality of their music was dropping as well so that had a part in it too. The mainstream radio music can only stay for so long.

Mike Wins

All Star
Daps
This is a bold face lie.

Everything I said is straight from Angelo Sanders and Mike Lynn, the A&Rs from Aftermath that oversaw The Documentary.

Except the part about Dre and Jimmy thinking Documentary was the better album. But actions speak louder than words. Massacre was supposed to drop in February and be called St. Valentine's Day Massacre. But Interscope pushed 50 release date back because of The Documentary. You know anything about the record industry, if the label do that to an artist that just sold 10 million in favor of a brand new artist, you know what time it is. The Documentary was Dre and Jimmy Iovine's priority, and 50 was tight about it. He had interviews at the time talking about how Dre was too busy with The Game project to work on Massacre, so he had to do his own thing.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
As a person that was practically a G-Unit stan, to the point where I was actively seeking out Nyce, @TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY, and Mazaradi Fox tracks, Game did major damage. He was firing on them like crazy, on top of the LOX, and other acts. Before then, the G-Unit brand was untouchable, and after that, the G-Unit brand may as well be like wearing AND 1 in 2013. There was a stigma and near embarrassment. Then add to the fact that the music was declining, it was a perfect storm.

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It definitely started the decline. As a young kid 50cent was like the baddest nikka in rap.

Then game killed that nikka with 300 bars. Then 50 went at so many other rappers.

Jadakiss killed that nikka. 50 only could respond about the money he has and after that I started losing interest.

I caught that 50 is a great artist but avg lyrically and these other rappers where killing him

yup, between 50 getting murdered on wax repeatedly by different rappers (game, jada, styles, cam) & his music absolutely falling off a cliff compared to his earlier joints, by the end of 2007, even his hometown soured on him as fans.

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps
Yeah Game did hellla damage.

Game’s onslaught combined with Banks 2nd album being delayed due to him leaving it at some bytches house and it being leaked fukked up the G-Unit momentum.

Up to that point, G-Unit was on the radio constantly via singles, and features on each other’s projects. Each project seamlessly rolled right into the next so nikkas was on the radio all the time. When Banks was ready to drop his 2nd album right after Mobb Deep, it got leaked by Big Mike I believe who got it from some bytch Banks was fukkin.

Due to the leak, 50/Interscope scrapped the whole album and made him go back and record a new one. While this was happening, there was a huge time gap where there were no G-Unit records on radio. Simultaneously, Game was constantly dissing and saying how G-Unit was wack and fell off. This hurt the brand badly.

Mobb Deep dropped in May 2006 then Hella months later Banks dropped Rotten Apple, and the decline was steady downhill from there.

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
Banks and Buck fell off commercially after their first albums and Yayo was never on commercially.

Once the hype wore off of 50, the hype wore off G-Unit.

The radio shootout and 300 bars got some attention. But G-unit was already falling off when Game was dropping entire diss DVD’s/mixtapes that only a small subset of people heard

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
G-Unit from 02-early 06 and mid 06-2010 may as well have been two entirely different labels. The pure feel of it was so different. It was like the initial NWO compared to the NWO from like 98 and on.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:scust:50’s obsession with chasing hit records and rapping over those stale G-Unit/Shady Aftermath bodybuilding beats did the most harm.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Game is a poison to the industry, his label mates and anything in and of itself.

His bipolar ass is a huge reason to the decline of g unit. Kicking buck off didn't hurt them.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aside from 50, look at G-Unit, 😂.

I mean, no disrespect, but 50 coulda thrown G-Unit sneakers and wifebeaters and doorags and a couple straps on 3 mannequins and still had their solos and the group album going plat and multi plat, etc… That was all 50’s energy, arguably the biggest impact we’ve ever experienced in rap.

Then it started to fade, naturally…as 50’s energy/reign in music dwindled, obviously so did the mannequins…I mean G-Unit rappers. Nobody was really jackin Game like that outside the West post-50, he didn’t have the power/influence to mess up anything 50 was doing, even with ol boy managing him at the time. It sounds good tho, lol. 50 Cent mania was getting stale and he was being a jerk/nuisance up at Interscope…that’s what happened to G-Unit

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
50's decline was moreso of him basically going at alot of peoples favorites on some bully shyt(Nas, Fat Joe, Jadakiss)... Game was too bipolar to be takened seriously by 50 and them even though some dope records did come from him during that period
50 dissing The Loc and Nas made me hate him.

Game definitely assisted though because I feel like he validated a lot of peoples feelings like why are you dissing these legends for no reason????