How Many Prequels/Origin Stories Actually Strengthened Or Improved A Franchise?

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
It happens all the time. Studios or the talent set out to explain a back story or mystery from a film. So we get stuff like the star wars prequels or Prometheus.

Maybe the intentions were noble,or its just a cash grab. But how many have actually improved a franchise or strengthened a film that takes place after it?

The only one I can think of is Rogue one. It explained a plot hole from a new hope and actually improved it.

Does anyone have any other examples?

It seems for the most part it's better to just let the mystery be

DMZ

Pro
Daps
Godfather 2 is like half-prequel / half-sequel to the original and that shyt is just as classic too.

The new Planet of the Apes series is looking pretty dope as well based on what I've seen so far (Rise and Dawn)

And if we count anime, then Fate/Zero as a prequel completely outclasses the story it was based off of.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
People dont want to admit it but hte Star Wars prequels rejuvenated the franchise. Created a whole new fanbase and lots of legit canon projects like Clone Wars and even fanfic projects like that Tie Fighter animated movie. Anyone who wants to doubt it, remember the rights sold for $4 billion.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
How many threads is @Dominic Brehetto gonna make this weekend? :troll:

I think pretty much all prequels have been trash and ruined the legacy of what came before it (Hobbit, Star Wars). etc. with the exception being the new Apes movies as mentioned above.

Rogue one wasn't that great of a movie but the last act was fun and the last 5 min had you leave the theater on a high.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
How many threads is @Dominic Brehetto gonna make this weekend? :troll:

I think pretty much all prequels have been trash and ruined the legacy of what came before it (Hobbit, Star Wars). etc. with the exception being the new Apes movies as mentioned above.

Rogue one wasn't that great of a movie but the last act was fun and the last 5 min had you leave the theater on a high.
Not enough :ufdup:

I guess I should fall back. We need more threads about comic book films :troll:

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
People dont want to admit it but hte Star Wars prequels rejuvenated the franchise. Created a whole new fanbase and lots of legit canon projects like Clone Wars and even fanfic projects like that Tie Fighter animated movie. Anyone who wants to doubt it, remember the rights sold for $4 billion.
Clone Wars was legit, and i would say strengthens ROTS when it comes to the Jedi Purge since you get to know the characters being offed more.

Rogue One is also a great example of a prequel adding to a story instead of taking away from it.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I'd argue Freddy's origins before Freddy's Dead helped him...his story was intriguing when they fleshed him out...but it isn't movie specific, since it's spread across 3ish movies and a TV series.

Although the opposite could be argued too...him just being a mysterious boogie man is also intriguing...but I liked how we found out he was pretty much fukked by birth

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'd argue Freddy's origins before Freddy's Dead helped him...his story was intriguing when they fleshed him out...but it isn't movie specific, since it's spread across 3ish movies and a TV series.

Although the opposite could be argued too...him just being a mysterious boogie man is also intriguing...but I liked how we found out he was pretty much fukked by birth

Yeah I like my bogeymen mysterious. Giving me background and making the monster into a person always ruins it for me