How Many Artists Can You Name That Totally Changed Music After Their Arrival?

Daps
I would add

Tina turner
Kanye West
Ll cool J
Rakim

I struggled with your 2-4 as well. LL however set the template of a rapper being balanced but I don’t know if you saw the ripple effects of that instantly as rap itself was a different ball game in them days. I don’t know if Ye’s kids musically started to pop up immediately either. It took a couple of years for his influence to really be revealed. I’m not mad at your list at all tho

State your case for Tina

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Chuck Berry
Madonna
The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Chief Keef
Nirvana
Melly Mel

that’s my list…what’s yours?
Grandmaster Melle Mel help changed the MC culture in rap at the time dj and mc, the mc was more of a crowd motivator and as rappers turn to mc's Melle Mel was in the forefront and rappers became more in the forefront.

LL Cool J was the poster boy for rapper than can make music for the ladies while keeping a street edge, nit in a gangsta sort of way but wearing street attire making rap for differeng crowds and even one of the first hip hop love ballads. McShan did one too.

kool herc godfather of hip hop. many o his peers like grandmaster caz feom the cold crush brothers looked up to DJ kool Herc as he used to play jams in the park and open outside woth large speakers. he got that strategy from being born in Jamaica.he was part of the few collective playing break beats and mixing songs etc....dj's would have "crews" of break dancers ,and mc's to move the crowd. little by little it became a phenomenom. the culture of hip hip itself.

Planet Rock song was fusion of electro funk infused with european electronic music and funk urban vibe .a period of electro funk style rap than later miami bass music took that genere making last little longer and culture of their own.

Blondie a punk rock band from downtown scene was the first non rapper to rap in her song and the video was legendary with Fab Five Freddy and famed artist Basquiat was in the video. it became cool in bridging the gap between rap and other music coming together.

grandwizard theordore pioneer to started scratching on records and later Dj's scratch on records as artform.

de la soul was mid 80's rap group with unique hair and clothing in hip hop and folks labelled them as hipster/hippie rap pre cursor to alt rap or rappers on their own lane

james brown influence hip hip as early 70's few djs would take his beats as well as other music from other artists like Apache song etc... beats and creat break beat. break beat is take the lart of the song and kind of extended that liece ofthe record that part the BBoys (breakdancers) would dance too. this was before hip hop had their own defined sound.Hip hop had other music like disco,r&b, and they rap to the beat,or electro etc....

busy bee vs kool moe dee 1981 battle was legendary rap battle that changing of the guard of old school to new school. kool moe dee who was part of Threcherous three rap group would be the few that pioonered word play modern flow at that time and another "new generation"

Esham fromdetroit one of the few horror core hip hop mix with horror genre. grave diggaz came later on

Run Dmc became a worldwide crossover hip hop group with urbam authentic fashion. of course you had Sugar Hill Gang but Run Dmc had the more authentic updated style vibe.
Run Dmc had crossover success in the rap,pop,rock charts and open doors for more fans to appreciate hip hop.

Kurtis Blow first hip hop solo superstore inspired some to be leaning to mainstream and gave the industry comfidence to open more doors for rappers

Schooly D from Philly at the time precursor to gangster rap genre that Ice T was influence by.....

so much more maybe ill add more updated ones soon.

Last edited:
Daps
Bobby%20Brown,%201990%20%2011.jpg

Whoops forgot him