how long will it be until whites fomally embrace their own genre of rap?

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
:what:

Are we really throwing Adele in the same group as Britney Spears, Pink and Miley Cyrus?

Robin Thicke only sold 177k his first week, he isn't stopping shyt.

Britney Spears' last album barely made it to plat.

Christina's last album is barely over gold.

Nobody is really going 3-4x plat anymore. Katy Perry's last album went 2.6M, Adele's shyt went diamond :wow: but she's not a pop star. She's in a different class.

Nobody made Chris Brown, Usher, B and Rihanna jump on those pop tracks. They wanted to jump on that EDM wave, it worked for Rihanna and to a lesser extent B. Chris Brown has other issues working against him. Usher just became another dude making similar sounding music.

It's the VMA's, it's aimed at teenage girls, of course the show is gonna have pop stars and teenage boy bands. Has this not always been the case? :dwillhuh:

Don't misunderstand me. Clearly Adele doesn't equal Katy Perry in music quaility or sound. Obvious. The point is, who would have sung a Katy Perry song like E.T 20 years ago? How many white artists had rappers singing their hooks back then? How many white artists were singing R&B songs and selling out areans? Answer: zero. How many black artists were doing the same? Many. Now it's all flipped around. Why? Because record companies knew they could peddle a successful black music genre to white audiences more effectively with white faces on the product instead of black ones. And it worked. This leads to increasing music segregation. A black R&B artist now gets played on Michael Baisden show geared almost exclusively to black audiences, while Adele and Robin Thicke go multi-plat on your pop radio station.

And as far as Britney and Christina are concerned, they changed the game back when they started. They made record execs say, let's get Pharrell and Timbaland beats and have white artists sing over them instead of black artists. We'll make more money that way and they did. So more and more white artists get signed to sign R&B style music which black artists get relegated to the 'urban' category.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Difference is: I know two white girl white girls from work. They don't know shyt about Hip Hop per se but fukking LOVE Macklemore, Robin Thicke, and Justin Timberlake. They would never sing along to BlackStreet but since it's "dikk in a box" Man, they feel okay. Back when Beastie Boys was hot, white kids at college had no rap CDs except Beasties and Cypress Hill whole catalog. And Cypress only cause they said so much about weed.

White rap will always be popular cause nikkas pirate shyt. White people go to iTunes like they are supposed.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The point is, who would have sung a Katy Perry song like E.T 20 years ago?

The song sounds like any shytty popular song that uses trends of that time.

How many white artists were singing R&B songs and selling out areans? Answer: zero.

How many are there now? One? JT is the only one doing "R&B" and can sell out arenas. Thicke isn't doing that shyt, not as a headliner.

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
Difference is: I know two white girl white girls from work. They don't know shyt about Hip Hop per se but fukking LOVE Macklemore, Robin Thicke, and Justin Timberlake. They would never sing along to BlackStreet but since it's "dikk in a box" Man, they feel okay. Back when Beastie Boys was hot, white kids at college had no rap CDs except Beasties and Cypress Hill whole catalog. And Cypress only cause they said so much about weed.

White rap will always be popular cause nikkas pirate shyt. White people go to iTunes like they are supposed.

Exactly. Of course there will be segregation. America stays racist..

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
The song sounds like any shytty popular song that uses trends of that time.

How many are there now? One? JT is the only one doing "R&B" and can sell out arenas. Thicke isn't doing that shyt, not as a headliner.

Count again my friend. Adele makes two. Bieber makes three. Amy Winehouse would have made four had she lived. My guess is that Thicke will sell out based on this album but it remains to be seen so I'll stop at four. Four more than '94.