How long do you have to live in a new area to be considered "from" there?

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Lets say you are a recent college graduate that grew up and educated in the east coast. And you want to start a new life in the west coast. How long can you reside there to fully claim to be from the west?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'd wouldn't consider you being "from" wherever you're located at that point in life. I think the pivotal years from about 10-18 are where you're from.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
it ain't where you from... its where you at!!!

meaning to this day if i'm asked where i'm from... i say i was born in philly BUT I LIVE IN VA.. unless they wanna hear you're life story.. just list or respond with where you are at.. but your home town will forever be your home town

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd wouldn't consider you being "from" wherever you're located at that point in life. I think the pivotal years from about 10-18 are where you're from.

Those ARE NOT the pivotal years of most people lives...People go through drastic changes after high school...

Who you are and what you do in your 20's will have a bigger impact on were you end-up in life...

To answer the OP's question,
I would say you are from wherever your accent and sometimes race/ethnicity is from...

For example, if you have a Southern Drawl, you will never be considered a New Yorker by most New Yorkers...

If people, in the city in which you currently reside, have a reason to ask you "you sound/look different, where are you from?" then in my opinion, you can't claim that area...

Daps
Reppin
St louis
15 years
a0yqua.jpg

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
where were you were raised is where you from regardless of where you live now. You can rep a new city but you can't claim it.

I lived in San Diego for 13 years but I lived in VA from birth until I was 14. I rep cali but I'm from VA. I've lived in Jersey for 8 years but I will never claim.