how is the NBA still the thug league?

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Did yall see the yahoo comments when they posted the article talking about artest hitting harden.

Them cacs were sayin shyt like "the thug! harden luccy metta world "peace" didnt get his 9mm and cap his ass!"

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Isn't it also something related to NBA players being more "visible"? I mean they play in shorts so you see them better, and people see tatoos and fake mean mugging and they start feeling a certain way? But since players in other leagues are covered up, they kind of stay more "anonimous", if you see what I mean. :yeshrug:

Anyway yeah, they cleaned it up so much that it makes no sense calling it that...Lebron's a "thug"? :wtf:

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Isn't it also something related to NBA players being more "visible"? I mean they play in shorts so you see them better, and people see tatoos and fake mean mugging and they start feeling a certain way? But since players in other leagues are covered up, they kind of stay more "anonimous", if you see what I mean. :yeshrug:

Anyway yeah, they cleaned it up so much that it makes no sense calling it that...Lebron's a "thug"? :wtf:

I hear that explaination a lot too.. And it's actually a bigger example of blatant racism than some of the other things mentioned here....

The more Black skin and features that are on display determines how negatively the league is perceived....

Think about that...

And....

One man's "mean mug" is nother mans "game face"...

I'll leave it up to you to decide which man is which...

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I hear that explaination a lot too.. And it's actually a bigger example of blatant racism than some of the other things mentioned here....

The more Black skin and features that are on display determines how negatively the league is perceived....

Think about that...

And....

I'll leave it up to you to decide which man is which...

Yeah I agree it's a bs excuse, just bringing it up in the conversation...another thing is I wonder if the fact that NBA players ALWAYS complain to referees has something to do with it? Again, I don't follow other American sports so I don't know if it's the same there, but seeing big strong (black) athletes clearly fouling a player and complaining about the call (Sheeeeeeeeeeed :myman:) may add to that negative perception? Just throwing theories out there.

Jamal514

In high demand
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
The real thug league is the NHL. They players get arrested just as much as the other leagues and they fight during the game.

But since it's white, then it's all right.

This right here. One of it's superstars, Dany Heatley, crashed his Ferrari a few years ago while doing double the speed limit, killed a teammate and everyone copped pleas for him. :beli:

madness

Taking my talents to South Beach
Daps
Reppin
City of Zoes

TebowAvatar.jpg

tim-tebow.jpg

warrior. fiery competitor.

bos_g_sheed2_576.jpg

overpaid crybaby

joker22-2321178.jpg

overpaid showboater

nascar-fight.jpg

just boys being boys:smugdraper:

Fight_in_ice_hockey_2009.JPG

just part of the sport:win:

18fight_slide2.600.jpg

look at those thugs. and that poor white man holding them back:hmm:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
NBA ain't even have thugs like that no more. Mostly black "nerds" and hipsters. NHL is where you see all kinds of fukkery.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Real goddamn sad if this is the case. What are does folks going to do, stop watching sports? I guess that's why some teams in the NBA and Lin were so popular.

Why is it so hard to believe that white people don't like your black ass? It's like history never happened and most nikkas just refuse to see the truth for what it is.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
:what:

Look at all these NFL players killing people, beating people, making nikkas look bad period, yet the NBA is bad? Soledad OBrien would doing an NBA in america special if the league had just had a similar 14 days to the NFL.

My theory behind this discrepancy is psycho-social based. The NFL is more psychologically comforting to the racially conscious white fan because the players bodies, and face, are almost completely concealed, which helps to neutralize race. The teams and the logos are the true stars. To extend this theory look how popular college football has always been, in some of the more bitterly racist regions on the country (Alabama, e.g).

In the NBA there is no such concealment, obviously, as its relentlessly in-your-face,black, so you have that psycho-conditional imposition off top, which fuels a lot of resentment. This is in collaboration with the fact the NBA is an individually-oriented league, rather than team focused.

To be fair, tho, when it comes to the NBA, the marketing strategies of the league did itself no favors. The post Jordan era experienced a significant dip in the quality of its basketball product. This coincided with the league's open embracement of hip hop and, And 1, streetball culture which turned middle America off. It was an awful time for the league, as the best teams (Jersey, San Antonio, Detroit, Sacramento) were from virtually dead markets. This all culminated in the malice from the palace incident, which presented the confirmation bias that racists needed to justify internal feelings.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My theory behind this discrepancy is psycho-social based. The NFL is more psychologically comforting to the racially conscious white fan because the players bodies, and face, are almost completely concealed, which helps to neutralize race. The teams and the logos are the true stars. To extend this theory look how popular college football has always been, in some of the more bitterly racist regions on the country (Alabama, e.g).

In the NBA there is no such concealment, obviously, as its relentlessly in-your-face,black, so you have that psycho-conditional imposition off top, which fuels a lot of resentment. This is in collaboration with the fact the NBA is an individually-oriented league, rather than team focused.

To be fair, tho, when it comes to the NBA, the marketing strategies of the league did itself no favors. The post Jordan era experienced a significant dip in the quality of its basketball product. This coincided with the league's open embracement of hip hop, and, And 1 streetball culture which turned middle America off. It was an awful time for the league, as the best teams (Jersey, San Antonio, Detroit, Sacramento) were from virtually dead markets. This all culminated in the malice from the palace incident, which presented the confirmation bias that racists needed to justify internal feelings.

I have to agree 100%. Just seems as long as white america is front and center it's okay. Not only race, but some narcissism as well