How is Friday Night Lights considered a great TV show?

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Why? You have the show a fair enough chance if you made it all the way to season 4. At this point regardless of others opinion of the show it's not gonna change your viewing experience. It's one thing to inquire to determine if it's something you wanna invest your viewing time in. I get that. It's another to ask people to tell you why a show that you've already watched is good. What's the purpose?

And don't take it like I'm coming at you, cause I'm not. It's just that this reminds me of the threads I would see about albums or songs where the ts will be like "Finally listened to ____ album, tell me why y'all consider this shyt hot?" Most of the time the thread isn't created with the purpose of having your opinion broadened, but to be passively antagonistic. You've never really came off as that type, so I'm genuinely asking what do you look to gain by hearing why others really enjoy this show when you've already determined you don't think it's that good.
Well for me i just like to hear other peoples perspectives. Its my personality. For exsmple, someone said its a teen show. If you judge it from that perspective and conpare to other teen shows, then i think thats a fair way to see it. Viewing it all time in that sense helps me see some of the hype.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I'm on season 4 and trying my hardest to binge watch this. Sure, you got a likable character like Smash but this isn't enough. It's like they're intentional trying to tug at your emotions. I never watched "This is Us" but imagined that how this show is. Unless, season 5 is some one of the greatest seasons I've ever seen, I'm just lost on this. It's borderline cheesy. And I really don't get the change in Tim Riggins chick. Like their was no explaination of why she was "Breaking Bad" after she changed. So fans of this show, please give me your thoughts. I really don't get it. Ive seen plenty of great shows but I don't see how this is even in the conversation.
I think you're just not into Family Dramas. That's what the disconnect is for you.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Season 1 is one of my favorite seasons of a TV show ever. Season 2 was terrible and one of the worst falloffs I've ever seen but I blame that on the writer's strike. Season 3 was a nice recovery though it wasn't on season 1's level by any means. I started losing interest by Season 4 and I haven't bothered to finish the show since then. But Season 1 was incredible.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Well for me i just like to hear other peoples perspectives. Its my personality. For exsmple, someone said its a teen show. If you judge it from that perspective and conpare to other teen shows, then i think thats a fair way to see it. Viewing it all time in that sense helps me see some of the hype.
Fair enough. I never based my enjoyment of the show on it being a teen show. I don't watch other teen shows to even make the comparison. The resonated with both me and my wife because a lot of their characters felt real, the show had a lot of heart, and it was interesting to basically be an inhabitant of Dillon for a hour at a time.

Coach Taylor and Tammy's marriage operates much how mine does, Smash and his mom's relationship hits home as well. And I wouldn't compare it to this is us on an emotional level. This ain't attempting to be a every episode tear jerker. In fact the only episode I can really say were like that were "The Son" and Smash's episode where coach Taylor helped him with his college tryout. Both were dope episodes though. A great show doesn't always have to have amazing writing like breaking Bad or the Wire, sometimes it just takes characters and stories that really resonate with people and make them care, and I think that's why FNL gets the praise it does, because it does exactly that.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
the first show i binged on netflix back in 2011 :wow:

show was flames brehs. i loved this shyt even the season 2 writers strike.

when smash rings on coach taylors door telling him he got signed to Texas A and M :to:

i almost cried brehs

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
The chick who cheated on wheelchair dude.
From what I remember she kinda acceptes Tim for who he was but wantes him to do better and believed it.

I haven't watched that season in over a year so it's a little hazy. But she gave up on vanderbilt because of Tim if I'm not mistaken.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
From what I remember she kinda acceptes Tim for who he was but wantes him to do better and believed it.

I haven't watched that season in over a year so it's a little hazy. But she gave up on vanderbilt because of Tim if I'm not mistaken.
Spoiler alert. I was referring to one season she got religious. Then the next season she went back to her old self with no explaination.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Spoiler alert. I was referring to one season she got religious. Then the next season she went back to her old self with no explaination.
Was that season 2?

That season was fukkes because the writer's strike...that strike fukked up alot of storylines on several shows :francis:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I think it was season 2 she turned religious. Then 3 she wasnt anymore
That's season 2, and you can just about erase everything that happened in that season from the FNL continuity cause it was during the writers strike as most have mentioned. Santiago, the Tyra-Landry thriller, Mexico, all that shyt was bushes status once the writers came back. Don't recommend anybody use that season as an evaluation factor to disliking the show.