How is Friday Night Lights considered a great TV show?

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm on season 4 and trying my hardest to binge watch this. Sure, you got a likable character like Smash but this isn't enough. It's like they're intentional trying to tug at your emotions. I never watched "This is Us" but imagined that how this show is. Unless, season 5 is some one of the greatest seasons I've ever seen, I'm just lost on this. It's borderline cheesy. And I really don't get the change in Tim Riggins chick. Like their was no explaination of why she was "Breaking Bad" after she changed. So fans of this show, please give me your thoughts. I really don't get it. Ive seen plenty of great shows but I don't see how this is even in the conversation.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's earnest and isn't over the top like most teen dramas(season 2 isn't canon) has a deep ensemble, does a good job of using it's setting(Dillon, Tx) and is incredibly shot. Plus I'd go to war for Coach Taylor

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Wasn't season 4 the start of that weird Direct TV deal where they took over production or was that later?
I think most loved the OG cast that were around the first couple of seasons

friday_night_lights_cast_then_and_now_photo.0.jpeg

Last edited:

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I will give love though as well to Meth Damon. Still don't get why this dude isn't a true star yet.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Tbh, I felt like this too way back when. I watched like 3 or 4 episodes of the first season in like 2012 but it wasn't clicking with me. But I keep hearing that it's one of the best shows so I thought maybe I should try to watch it again. Haven't gotten around to it because so much else is on my backlog but I'll keep an eye out if any big fans come in here to vouch for giving it another try.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I'm on season 4 and trying my hardest to binge watch this. Sure, you got a likable character like Smash but this isn't enough. It's like they're intentional trying to tug at your emotions. I never watched "This is Us" but imagined that how this show is. Unless, season 5 is some one of the greatest seasons I've ever seen, I'm just lost on this. It's borderline cheesy. And I really don't get the change in Tim Riggins chick. Like their was no explaination of why she was "Breaking Bad" after she changed. So fans of this show, please give me your thoughts. I really don't get it. Ive seen plenty of great shows but I don't see how this is even in the conversation.
Everything ain't for everybody. You don't need to "get it". If you don't like it it's just not your thing. The beauty and subjectivity of art:yeshrug:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Is there any particular seasons that stand out above the others? or is it mostly consistent all the way through?
Pretty consistent throughout, except for season two...you didnt watch long enough imo to get into the characters of the show, or maybe its not for you.....and the change up in season 4 is excellent and rounds out the show...i have it as an easy top ten for me, possibly top 5 show.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Everything ain't for everybody. You don't need to "get it". If you don't like it it's just not your thing. The beauty and subjectivity of art:yeshrug:
Yes i understand that. Like Mad Men aint for me but i get the craze when fans explain why they like it. Im just looking for the reasons consider it goat status.

bangbreh

motorboat extraordinaire
Daps
Reppin
somewhere between a pair of D cup tiddies
I finally gave this a spin a couple years back and watched it with the :dahell: most of the time.
I thought it was corny and full of alabaster problems i didn't think the Coli could relate to :skip:
I was shocked this was the show y'all really ride for on here :yeshrug:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Yes i understand that. Like Mad Men aint for me but i get the craze when fans explain why they like it. Im just looking for the reasons consider it goat status.
Why? You have the show a fair enough chance if you made it all the way to season 4. At this point regardless of others opinion of the show it's not gonna change your viewing experience. It's one thing to inquire to determine if it's something you wanna invest your viewing time in. I get that. It's another to ask people to tell you why a show that you've already watched is good. What's the purpose?

And don't take it like I'm coming at you, cause I'm not. It's just that this reminds me of the threads I would see about albums or songs where the ts will be like "Finally listened to ____ album, tell me why y'all consider this shyt hot?" Most of the time the thread isn't created with the purpose of having your opinion broadened, but to be passively antagonistic. You've never really came off as that type, so I'm genuinely asking what do you look to gain by hearing why others really enjoy this show when you've already determined you don't think it's that good.