How do build up to squatting 225 x 40?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Read the book Super Squats it's a classic program thats hard af

Super Squats: Amazon.com

"Every man should challenge their self to at do their body weight on their back with the 20 rep squat.,"

This is interesting. The 20 rep breathing squat was introduced to me as a way to prove i don't train as hard as i think i did. I took 315 which was my 10 rep max and the very next leg day i attempted 20 reps with it. It's very simple.

BornStar

Marathon Continues
Daps
Reppin
N.Y.
This is interesting. The 20 rep breathing squat was introduced to me as a way to prove i don't train as hard as i think i did. I took 315 which was my 10 rep max and the very next leg day i attempted 20 reps with it. It's very simple.
:whoo: Rep.. that's crazy but that is the mindset. You always have at least 5 more reps in the tank .. Before a squat day watch some Tom Platz and you are good.

If you dont get motivated to crush the mf gym on a leg day after watching this idk what to tell brehs
It's all mental

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I came across a technique in muscle media magazine, which unfortunately went out of business in the early 2000s. Although the technique existed before the article, it was the first time I had heard of it. I cannot find the exact magazine article but found similar articles. The second article is particularly relevant to the original article as it was written by Charles Poliquin, who co-owned the Poliquin Group.

20-Rep Squats Program: High Reps, Big Gains (bodybuilding.com)

Workout Systems: 20-Rep Squats | Poliquin Article (poliquingroup.com)

I suggest trying the workout mentioned in these articles, despite the comments about breathing squats. The workout is intense, but effective. The author of the article, Charles Poliquin, has trained 26 Olympic medalists, proving its success. Poliquin utilized this method to teach his athletes that they were leaving many reps on the table, just like most people. If someone disagrees with Poliquin's approach in this thread, they should provide receipts before their opinion is taken seriously.

If you give it a try, let me know what you think. I'd like to know if it was as shocking to you as it was to me when I discovered I never came close to trying as hard as I could :mjlol:

Why You Should Learn to Love the 20-Rep Squat Set | BarBend

this article also credits Poliquin.

:unimpressed:

Do 20 rep squats work for different goals? Yes. Is it the end all, be all for training intensity or accomplishing all of said goals? No.

There's nothing magical about taking a 10RM and artificially extending a set, just like there's nothing magical about forced negatives, drop sets, etc.

Anything that increased TUT and doesn't take place in a Smith machine will yield gains. :skip:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:unimpressed:

Do 20 rep squats work for different goals? Yes. Is it the end all, be all for training intensity or accomplishing all of said goals? No.

There's nothing magical about taking a 10RM and artificially extending a set, just like there's nothing magical about forced negatives, drop sets, etc.

Anything that increased TUT and doesn't take place in a Smith machine will yield gains. :skip:

Respond to a bunch of things no one said :dead:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:whoo: Rep.. that's crazy but that is the mindset. You always have at least 5 more reps in the tank .. Before a squat day watch some Tom Platz and you are good.
If you dont get motivated to crush the mf gym on a leg day after watching this idk what to tell brehs
It's all mental

Platz felt every word. He was speaking from his soul :wow:

BornStar

Marathon Continues
Daps
Reppin
N.Y.
No need to be upset. :umad:

What you posted must only be :gladbron: for weak nikkas like yourself. :manny:

Breathing squats work but so do a bunch of other training protocols.

Unless you’re lifting maximal weights. :usure:

They advise 65% of your 1rm max for 20 rep squats.. no matter how strong you are use the 65% barrier :manny:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
They advise 65% of your 1rm max for 20 rep squats.. no matter how strong you are use the 65% barrier :manny:

That actually concurs with what I was saying. 65% 1RM is like a 16RM, so having 5 more in the tank makes sense if you're lifting light weights.

If one starts lifting actually heavy weights, that whole "you should have X reps still in you" thing goes out the window.

IIRC the OG 20-rep squat method wasn't calling for 65% 1RM btw, it was literally taking your 10RM (75%) and basically rest-pausing another 10 reps out while taking large breaths in between reps, hence the name breathing squats.

BornStar

Marathon Continues
Daps
Reppin
N.Y.
That actually concurs with what I was saying. 65% 1RM is like a 16RM, so having 5 more in the tank makes sense if you're lifting light weights.

If one starts lifting actually heavy weights, that whole "you should have X reps still in you" thing goes out the window.

IIRC the OG 20-rep squat method wasn't calling for 65% 1RM btw, it was literally taking your 10RM (75%) and basically rest-pausing another 10 reps out while taking large breaths in between reps, hence the name breathing squats.
Ok I see.

I haven't read the book in a minute, I wouldn't be surprised if I got it wrong and it was 75% instead of 65%.

Eastbmore

Man, money ain't got no owners.
Supporter
Daps
This is exactly what that method was (Super Squats was the name of the book).