How do build up to squatting 225 x 40?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
20 rep squats are enough why not start off by doing 225 X 20? Then try to work your way up to another 20 rep squat goal.
I agree with this.

So much can go wrong when your body is under load and fatigued.

He’d be better off lowering the weight to something he can do for 40 reps on his birthday than to potentially get injured on his birthday:yeshrug:

BornStar

Marathon Continues
Daps
Reppin
N.Y.
I agree with this.

So much can go wrong when your body is under load and fatigued.

He’d be better off lowering the weight to something he can do for 40 reps on his birthday than to potentially get injured on his birthday:yeshrug:

Take a first class trip to snap city on your birthday brehs

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Correct. Stand in the rack and take as many breaths as possible to hit the next rep until you hit your target. To be clear, i’m definitely not advocating you breath until you hit 40 if you’re at 10 today.

I agree with you on weight belts, I haven’t used one in over a decade. I don’t think they’re dangerous but there’s no need to lift heavy enough to hurt yourself unless you’re trying to go pro at something.

If I can lift the weight without assistance I shouldn’t be lifting that heavy.

I forget this is the coli and dudes don't really be lifting like that. @Serious
Gym-Kermit.png

trap101

All Star
Daps
@trap101 :mjlol:

Belts aren't "a dangerous crutch" they're just a tool to help with bracing.

You can get folded in half with or without a belt.
A solid 13mm belt would def make your goal easier to achieve though. :sas2:
Yea I saw the thread yesterday,...was gonna tag you, but like I said before about these thread.............:hubie:

trap101

All Star
Daps
You right, lifting heavy enough for my colon to fall out so I can brag to other males ain’t my thing but I know others get off to that :pachaha:

Enjoy :heh:
With the type of breathing advice you're giving I would hesitate to put "heavy" in the same sentence as "lift"............. :skip:

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
The easiest way to add reps is to continue with the same weight and do more reps. Kinda like pull-ups. It’s not the most efficient way but it is the most simple.

Also, most people don’t train legs hard enough. Muscle media magazine had an article on breathing squats which says you can take your 10rm and do 20 reps with it for the reason I just mentioned.

I went from 315x10 to 315x20 in one week because I was one of the people the article was talking about.

I don’t know you like that, your mileage may very. Be careful and train safe.

link article?

what is breathing squats?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
link article?

what is breathing squats?

I came across a technique in muscle media magazine, which unfortunately went out of business in the early 2000s. Although the technique existed before the article, it was the first time I had heard of it. I cannot find the exact magazine article but found similar articles. The second article is particularly relevant to the original article as it was written by Charles Poliquin, who co-owned the Poliquin Group.

20-Rep Squats Program: High Reps, Big Gains (bodybuilding.com)

Workout Systems: 20-Rep Squats | Poliquin Article (poliquingroup.com)

I suggest trying the workout mentioned in these articles, despite the comments about breathing squats. The workout is intense, but effective. The author of the article, Charles Poliquin, has trained 26 Olympic medalists, proving its success. Poliquin utilized this method to teach his athletes that they were leaving many reps on the table, just like most people. If someone disagrees with Poliquin's approach in this thread, they should provide receipts before their opinion is taken seriously.

If you give it a try, let me know what you think. I'd like to know if it was as shocking to you as it was to me when I discovered I never came close to trying as hard as I could :mjlol:

Why You Should Learn to Love the 20-Rep Squat Set | BarBend

this article also credits Poliquin.

Last edited: