How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Serious question for the comic book heads. I mostly read Marvel growing up, and besides Superman and Batman, I really didn't know many other DC comics at all, minus the Flash and Wonder Woman. It may or may not be factually true, but how did Marvel end up the "cool" comic book company and DC ended up the less cool one?

And I don't just mean with movies, because growing up in the 80's and 90's it still seemed like Marvel was considered "cooler" than DC. I was never a huge comic head but I just seem to remember way more Marvel stuff being around.

Was it the fact that everyone watched X-Men in the 90s? Batman was the one DC comic character that everyone liked. I guess it's not too much of a stretch to assume that he's the most popular DC character?

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Well Marvel has the X men characters and Spider-Man and all of the characters surrounding him. If Batman is number 1. Spidey universe and X-men/mutants/wolverine are probably 2 and 3.

Spider-Man had a very popular game on PS2 which I think is the popular console ever. The Spider-Man trilogy and Xmen trilogy were very popular.

Xmen cartoon in the 90s. Xmen also had a very popular arcade game I recall.

Plus marvel has dominated the last 10 years with films.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Batman isn't just the most popular DC character, I'd argue him and Spider-Man are the top 2 period. But others make waves, Joker, Harley Quinn, they are all household names also. With DC it's not always the heroes, sometimes the villains are equally as popular or more so.

It'll be interesting to see if Disney can kill the popularity of X-Men. They've been trying. They might want to do the same with Deadpool but it looks like it's too late, FOX is eating now :russ:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
nah that goes way back

Stan Lee would talk about how, y'know, DC would hear Marvel was selling more copies because of speech bubbles on the cover, or the color red. So they would put speech bubbles and the color red. Then Marvel would immediately stop doing whatever it was DC thought was selling copies

So basically DC's been dikkriding Marvel the whole time. I'm still a DC fan though

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
simple

they did not give the push to snowflame :yeshrug::yeshrug:

3543170-snowflame_zps434832f7.jpg

no, but seriously
dc kept having way too many titles with Batman and superman and they just got boring after awhile
its the reason why they reboot every few years

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
They piggybank off of the hate of Superman and how "boring" the 70s Era of the Superfriends Era of cartoons. People still think that Aquaman is lame and talks to fish :laugh:

Marvel wants to be "cool" over DC and still use that 90s stigma of Superman being one dimensional and all. Sad really.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
DC is just top heavy. They literally have two of the top three most recognizable superheroes on their stable. That's why this upcoming movie is gonna do numbers btw.

Marvel's top character is Spider-Man. But that's relatively new because of the movies in the 2000s.

Both companies just have different strategies and philosophies on how they execute storylines. I say enjoy both of them.

Also, a lot of popular marvel characters are DC knockoffs.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
as a kid dc felt pg, marvel felt more pg-13... they just had the edgier characters. wolverine, punisher, etc.

90's media was more liberal too, more anti. superman became passe for some.

and then came superman returns. bryan singer puttin the final touches on kal-el's high top fade.

Last edited: