Hot Take: Jokic is the most dominating center since Shaq

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Once we factor in defense I still have Embiid over him. Even though Embiid fell off some defensively this year he's still way ahead of Jokic on that end. But that's not to take away from Jokic. Dude is still an absolute beast and offensively I'd take him over Embiid.

no doubt

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think that's why he said SINCE Shaq.

Can't think of no other big besides Embiid who is as dominant as Joker. That's it. Since Shaq and Timmy to a lesser extent, it's been wings. Esp with the way the game is played now. The 2019 playoffs made me respect his game even more esp that quadruple OT game vs the Blazers with him playing 65 minutes.

He's not Shaq of course, but arguably the best since at the position? Not a reach IMO
I can see the argument but I don’t associate his game with “dominance.” To me that means he’s unguardable especially one-on-one. Embiid can’t be stopped without a double; Jokic isn’t unstoppable in single coverage, he actually prefers a double team so he can pass out of it. Teams have much more success just letting their big guard him one-on-one (like the Lakers did). That’s just my definition of dominance though, I can see room for argument but he will have to actually win something before that claim imo. Same with Embiid.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I can see the argument but I don’t associate his game with “dominance.” To me that means he’s unguardable especially one-on-one. Embiid can’t be stopped without a double; Jokic isn’t unstoppable in single coverage, he actually prefers a double team so he can pass out of it. Teams have much more success just letting their big guard him one-on-one (like the Lakers did). That’s just my definition of dominance though, I can see room for argument but he will have to actually win something before that claim imo. Same with Embiid.

In today's game, him and Embiid are it as far as dominant centers. I don't think either is as dominant as Shaq, but both possess skills that are superior to what Shaq had as well. Joker isn't as good defensively as Joel. Joel isn't the passer Joker is. Both have good offensive games and footwork. Joe's health and durability I still worry about. Jokic, not so much.

Neither have made the Finals, but neither has had a dominant wing either.

Shaq never made a Finals without the top 1/2 SG or point guard at the time. (Penny, Bean, Wade). That is fact. It's also why I put Dream over Shaq since he did, twice.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Giannis is this era’s Shaq.

I actually agree. He's like a "wing" Shaq. shyt is crazy. But again, he aint winning shyt unless he has someone who can offset his deficiencies as well. Is Jrue enough? Keith is a solid 2/3 option, but I dunno. Bud needs to go if they fail again this year.

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
The thing with jokic is that he doesn’t even need to be scoring a bunch to have an impact when you factor in how he runs the offense and gets assists :ehh:

him and Embiid are two great- dominant centers (albeit in different ways)

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Dwight was a defensive marvel extremely gifted athletically. He was also extremely limited and didn’t command the respect from his teammates or organization...in his prime

He wasn’t Hakeem in the post but in his prime, he still commanded double teams because of his elite first step, finishing ability and second jump on the boards. Calling him a defensive marvel feels like an understatement as well because he was anchoring that Orlando team better than Rudy Gobert does now for the Jazz. The paint was a no-fly zone for a lot of teams.

Daps
He wasn’t Hakeem in the post but in his prime, he still commanded double teams because of his elite first step, finishing ability and second jump on the boards. Calling him a defensive marvel feels like an understatement as well because he was anchoring that Orlando team better than Rudy Gobert does now for the Jazz. The paint was a no-fly zone for a lot of teams.

He was a defensive marvel...would Defensive Jesus be more appropriate? :mjlol:

Dwight was 6-10 and diesel...Why wouldn’t he command a double in most circumstances? Baby Sabonis commands a double too :comeon:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
He was a defensive marvel...would Defensive Jesus be more appropriate? :mjlol:

Dwight was 6-10 and diesel...Why wouldn’t he command a double in most circumstances? Baby Sabonis commands a double too :comeon:

You don’t double offensively limited players. It’s not like he was just getting his points off put backs and rolling to the basket :yeshrug: