Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/5) & Burning Shores DLC Out Now! Complete Edition - 10/6, PC - Feb 2024

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
9002fb167b3d85187f0fca32f00648cfd34eea1e.gifv

This looks incredible like a scene from a movie.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I really hope this or Elden ring gets delayed. I’m like equally hyped for both these games and I know I’m not gonna be able to take my time with one or the other.

horizon-forbidden-west-screenshot-06-disclaimer-02oct20

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Damn thy really went out of their way to make traversal and fighting fun in this one. From the blog

Immersive exploration
Our Horizon community loves discovering new areas and climbing up high vantage points; to this day they share lots of images, videos, and memories of their adventures in-game! This level of immersive exploration was naturally something the team at Guerrilla took to heart during development of the sequel, David mentions.

“The free climbing system in Horizon Forbidden West is a huge feature we are extremely excited about, as it has allowed us to make large sections of the terrain climbable (where it makes sense visually and narratively) in a way not previously possible in Horizon Zero Dawn. Rocky surfaces in these areas are freely climbable without the use of tribal handholds!’

Another addition was the high vault traversal mechanic, which essentially allows Aloy to hoist herself on top of any object of jumpable height with room to pull up. Combined with the ability to free climb and adding grapples to our environment, the potential for exploration is greatly increased.”

Two other reveals from the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay trailer that have fans – and Guerrillas – very excited are the previously mentioned Pullcaster and Shieldwing: new tools at Aloy’s disposal to make her more agile during both exploration and the inevitable battles she’ll be fighting in the West.

“The Pullcaster is a mechanical wrist-mounted device with two separate functions,” David explains. “The first function is a grapple mechanic, allowing the player to swiftly and easily ascend the environment and providing a dynamic traversal/escape option to the player toolkit. When grappling, the player can activate the launch — throwing them into the air, where they can grab a higher ledge, fire their bow, glide, strike-from-above or even grapple to a further point.’

‘The second function of the Pullcaster is a winch, meaning the player can dynamically manipulate, move and destroy the objects in the environments. Think about pulling a hidden loot chest from a ledge, or tearing open a vent to create a new climb path.”

“The Shieldwing was always a team favorite, it provides not only the most exhilarating way to return from an epic climb but also the most picturesque! This tool is invaluable with having so much more verticality, where backtracking down the same trail holds less of an appeal as on the way up.’

The blog post is pretty long but they def hit all the problem areas of the first game hard with this one

The “free climbing” , grappling hook, glider, and the way you can interact with the environment with the grappling hook like pulling items and stuff down from ledges means the platforming and puzzles are gonna be greatly improved.

I’m getting ghost of tsushima platforming vibes but a little more complex

Last edited: