Hold the Dark (Jeremy Saulnier Psychological thriller w/Jeffrey Wright & Alex Skaargard)-on Netflix

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
Enjoyable due to the shooting n shyt. Had my daughter running around, so I really didn't follow the story much.

I feel cheated cuz this movie didn't really display Wrights amazing acting ability. (imo)

Ill watch it again and come back to this thread

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
:beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli:

This movie was hot shyt.

Damn you @FlyRy for even creating this fukken thread.

I knew you had :trash:taste in movies, but at least I thought over time your taste might have improved.

I guess fukken not. :martin:

I am going to spoil the shyt of out this stupid fukken movie because it was so fukken terrible.

Is that white bytch a model or something?, I swear the sole purpose to cast her was to see her naked.

Yet another movie where white people are not accountable for their actions. Kill your child but blame wolf spirits brehs.

Why the fukk did that "Indian" guy kill all the cops? :whatthefukk:

Jeffery Wright, I honestly thought they were going to make him the magical negro for the movie.

Get shot in the chest with an arrow and be still live brehs.

I even read an explanation of this horrible movie on the net and I still am heated.

@FlyRy

Don't think I forgot nikka. :umad:

fukken Rotten tomatoes too, giving this bullshyt 68%. :pacspit:

That Skarsgard mofo can act though. :ehh: He is a fukken star.

Also once you have been to Calgary, Alberta, you can tell this bullshyt movie was shot there and not Alaska. :childplease:

Hey @FlyRy, I want you to watch this wonderful movie called Bubble directed by Steven Soderbergh.
Please watch it, it will make you so happy. And come back here and tell me what you think of that movie.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli::beli:

This movie was hot shyt.

Damn you @FlyRy for even creating this fukken thread.

I knew you had :trash:taste in movies, but at least I thought over time your taste might have improved.

I guess fukken not. :martin:

I am going to spoil the shyt of out this stupid fukken movie because it was so fukken terrible.

Is that white bytch a model or something?, I swear the sole purpose to cast her was to see her naked.

Yet another movie where white people are not accountable for their actions. Kill your child but blame wolf spirits brehs.

Why the fukk did that "Indian" guy kill all the cops? :whatthefukk:

Jeffery Wright, I honestly thought they were going to make him the magical negro for the movie.

Get shot in the chest with an arrow and be still live brehs.

I even read an explanation of this horrible movie on the net and I still am heated.

@FlyRy

Don't think I forgot nikka. :umad:

fukken Rotten tomatoes too, giving this bullshyt 68%. :pacspit:

That Skarsgard mofo can act though. :ehh: He is a fukken star.

Also once you have been to Calgary, Alberta, you can tell this bullshyt movie was shot there and not Alaska. :childplease:

Hey @FlyRy, I want you to watch this wonderful movie called Bubble directed by Steven Soderbergh.
Please watch it, it will make you so happy. And come back here and tell me what you think of that movie.
I made the thread when the trailer dropped as is customary.

I defend the first 2 acts

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I love his direction, the music, some of the shots and sequences are masterful, in fact many. The plane trip in the final scenes, the first wolf attack, the shootout, though I felt that was a little derivative of "Wind River" in fact, a lot of the movie seemed influenced by it. The music, the central themes, the setting, maybe it is just to be expected given all the similarities.

There is so much to love and appreciate, it is shame that the flaws don't quite make for a movie I can really like, and be taken in by. The Skarsgard character, doing his usual disturbed white male, only seemed menacing when he donned the mask, and while I looked up the ending and interpretations, none of it really makes much sense. None of characters truly connect, and a lot seems maybe lost in translation from the novel, or just adapted poorly. The plot and the characters motivations are bizarre to nonsensical, to the worst of cliches, ie: the tracker summoned to the remote wilderness with a handwritten note, only to end up riding shotgun in a manhunt for dangerous criminal.

It kind of descends into the worst of Reding Refn's nihilistic violence, and stylized brutality. It disappointed me, but I would watch if a fan of Saulnier, I hope he can take his strengths and convey it into something more meaningful and tightly written.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I love his direction, the music, some of the shots and sequences are masterful, in fact many. The plane trip in the final scenes, the first wolf attack, the shootout, though I felt that was a little derivative of "Wind River" in fact, a lot of the movie seemed influenced by it. The music, the central themes, the setting, maybe it is just to be expected given all the similarities.

There is so much to love and appreciate, it is shame that the flaws don't quite make for a movie I can really like, and be taken in by. The Skarsgard character, doing his usual disturbed white male, only seemed menacing when he donned the mask, and while I looked up the ending and interpretations, none of it really makes much sense. None of characters truly connect, and a lot seems maybe lost in translation from the novel, or just adapted poorly. The plot and the characters motivations are bizarre to nonsensical, to the worst of cliches, ie: the tracker summoned to the remote wilderness with a handwritten note, only to end up riding shotgun in a manhunt for dangerous criminal.

It kind of descends into the worst of Reding Refn's nihilistic violence, and stylized brutality. It disappointed me, but I would watch if a fan of Saulnier, I hope he can take his strengths and convey it into something more meaningful and tightly written.
What about that shootout though:upsetfavre:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
@FlyRy

I touched on it, thought it was very reminiscent of Wind River, though Sheridan's was much better to me. It's become really common in the last few years, to have a bloody, extended shootout, possibly starting with True Detective Season 1, and then a terrible attempt in Season 2. I think the best two examples are Sheridan's, which was smaller scale, more tense and realistic, and True Detective 1.

Saulnier's was ok, it felt like I had seen this before, and didn't add much to the story, which was severely lacking anyway.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
@FlyRy

I touched on it, thought it was very reminiscent of Wind River, though Sheridan's was much better to me. It's become really common in the last few years, to have a bloody, extended shootout, possibly starting with True Detective Season 1, and then a terrible attempt in Season 2. I think the best two examples are Sheridan's, which was smaller scale, more tense and realistic, and True Detective 1.

Saulnier's was ok, it felt like I had seen this before, and didn't add much to the story, which was severely lacking anyway.
Maybe I'm forgetting but what is the shootout in wind river? The standoff or the raiding the bando?

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I'm sorry but when this bytch stood in the kitchen naked then got in his bed I started dying :mjlol:
This my time reaction to the scene

"Why ain't the door closed?"

"Wait are those we're footsteps?"

"OK, hold the dark indeed."