His Dark Materials: Teaser Trailer - BBC

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just happened to be reading the series at the same time. On book 3 now. Saw the first ep of the show. Didn't amaze me, but I'm sticking with it.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
3rd ep was pretty good. First one that shyt set in motion and explained shyt.

Bears next week

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
The show is dropping parent reveals like it's nothing :dwillhuh:. You would think Lyra learning about who her parents really are would be a big moment, instead of clunky exposition dumps. I really wish the show did more to set up the characters and world to really get me invested, outside of the curiosity of what is going on.

There are apparently witches, but they haven't done a good job in explaining deamons really and how the connection with the humans work.

Ms. Coulter seems to work alongside the Magisterium, but is doing things behind their back. Same goes for snake guy, who she is cool with but apparently he is the one of the few who is jumping between worlds. Don't really know who he is looking for in regular Earth either.

The adults tip-toeing around Lyra is annoying and she's special because she can read the truth telling device I guess, but they haven't really done the world building to establish why it would be such a big deal.

I'm sure all these details are fleshed out in the books and it's only been a few episodes, but so far Ruth Wilson and her monkey continue to be the highlights for me. Along with the mystery of where things are headed.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
The show is dropping parent reveals like it's nothing :dwillhuh:. You would think Lyra learning about who her parents really are would be a big moment, instead of clunky exposition dumps. I really wish the show did more to set up the characters and world to really get me invested, outside of the curiosity of what is going on.

There are apparently witches, but they haven't done a good job in explaining deamons really and how the connection with the humans work.

Ms. Coulter seems to work alongside the Magisterium, but is doing things behind their back. Same goes for snake guy, who she is cool with but apparently he is the one of the few who is jumping between worlds. Don't really know who he is looking for in regular Earth either.

The adults tip-toeing around Lyra is annoying and she's special because she can read the truth telling device I guess, but they haven't really done the world building to establish why it would be such a big deal.

I'm sure all these details are fleshed out in the books and it's only been a few episodes, but so far Ruth Wilson and her monkey continue to be the highlights for me. Along with the mystery of where things are headed.
I copped the first book in the trilogy because i hear they are great

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Show is pretty good. Feels like an HBO Harry Potter series.

Every time Lira is on all I see is Rafael Nadal as a teenage girl.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Couldn't make it through episode 1...

HBO has to be pissed they lost out on the Witcher and had to settle for shyt like this...

HBO had a bid on The Witcher? :dwillhuh:

Why they acting cheap for? They even got outbid by SYFY :hhh: a few years back for The Expanse which can be argued to be the best scifi show out right now.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
HBO had a bid on The Witcher? :dwillhuh:

Why they acting cheap for? They even got outbid by SYFY :hhh: a few years back for The Expanse which can be argued to be the best scifi show out right now.
Not sure if they actually had a bid, Netflix jumped on it very quick...

HBO clearly spending money on this show, the CGI is not cheap, they just made a poor pursuit decision IMO...

I watch HBO for adult shows, not kid shows and this Dark Matter shyt looks like some shyt that should be on Disney...

Carnival Row (Amazon) also has far bigger potential than this IMO...First season started off slow but finished off very strong...

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Not sure if they actually had a bid, Netflix jumped on it very quick...

HBO clearly spending money on this show, the CGI is not cheap, they just made a poor pursuit decision IMO...

I watch HBO for adult shows, not kid shows and this Dark Matter shyt looks like some shyt that should be on Disney...

Carnival Row (Amazon) also has far bigger potential than this IMO...First season started off slow but finished off very strong...

Usually I give these type of shows time (like 3 eps) to grab me but the first episode had me :russell:severely which made me check this thread to see if it's poppin'. Guess not.

I'm with you on Carnival Row tho, I thought it looked lame in the trailers but it's first episode showed a very interesting world. I look forward to where they go next season.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The bear was dope.

Sadly this show has no buzz. It's a decent turn your brain off and unwind after a long day of work on monday.

Maybe it's bigger in the UK since its BBC

Is His Dark Materials Finally Getting Good?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope the show gets some buzz, especially since the last ep could be the turning point and I just found out there's going to be a season two.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Finished His Dark Materials on HBO. Overall found the series a disappointment, as the writing and execution of the ideals was lacking for me and I never got attached to the characters. I didn't find much compelling about the world and the stakes they were playing with, seemed larger than they were able to develop. Some solid performances though.

Going to go ahead and cancel HBO now for a bit and catch up with some other shows on streaming services..